Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Yes, of course it didn't. Ben Arfa didn't play us off the park at all did he ???

And you should maybe tone down your childish accusations as to what other supporters want to happen.

I didn't know an AM consisted of playing on the right wing, maybe Luna would have preferred him in that position. I don't need to tone anything down, maybe you should tone down your expectations.

Lambert has spent the thick end of £40m over the last two seasons, which whilst not a fortune in relative Premier League terms, SHOULD at least be enough to give us a vaguely competent defence and a midfield capable of scoring more than a couple of goals a season between them.

Our midfield scored 8 goals last season and that's in a side that uses 3 strikers (who happened to score 47 between them). I don't mind criticism but be fair with it too.

In all comps

Tony Pulis. he is the man and really transform us into Stoke.

though I dont think Lerner and Faulkner are as kneejerk as people on here

I think they done so poorly in the past that Lambert will be given every opportunity to get it right. Im fast loosing hope - but it would surprise me if they made a change mid season.

I have concerns about the players signed this summer , and the defensive woes continue.

Lambert has spent the thick end of £40m over the last two seasons, which whilst not a fortune in relative Premier League terms, SHOULD at least be enough to give us a vaguely competent defence and a midfield capable of scoring more than a couple of goals a season between them.

Our midfield scored 8 goals last season and that's in a side that uses 3 strikers (who happened to score 47 between them). I don't mind criticism but be fair with it too.

In all comps

Not in the league they didn't, they scored a pitiful 2.  If you want to be generous, then you can add in N'Zogbia's, which makes it 4.  Either way, utterly piss poor.

Our midfield scored 8 goals last season and that's in a side that uses 3 strikers (who happened to score 47 between them). I don't mind criticism but be fair with it too.In all comps

I think he is talking about our current midfielders. Westwood, Delph, KEA and Sylla have only managed a single league goal between them.

I didnt expect to beat Liverpool BUT most fans did expect us to beat Newcastle. I dont advocate getting rid of Lambert or anything like it but I find it laughable how you cannot brook any critcism of him without asking "who replaces him? I hear McLeish is still available"

Also to claim  "Saturdays loss has sod all to do with an AM, it was the fact we made stupid defensive mistakes yet again" and give the impression that it was nothing to do with Lamberts tactics is frankly ridiculous. Apart from a few minutes after our goal we had no forward momentum all match, Lamberts decision to play counter attacking gave N'castle the initiaitive throughout and in the first 10-15 mins we were rarely in their half. we had no one to make telling passes and gave a shitload of possession back without pressure.

Like everyone else I hope Lambert is going to be a good manager for Villa, but for the foreseeable future I do not think we are going to make much progress and going backwards again wouldnt surprise me.

Who does replace him? Go on give me a name, it's easy saying yep lets replace another manager. The bottom line is we are miles behind, due to our excessive spending on average players. Not once have I said PL is not prone to criticism, defensively poor yet again, his decision to throw on Kozak and leave us a formation that looks like something out of football manager. Do you think he sits and tells Lowton, to actually let Remy walk through, do you think he actually tells Lowton to just ball watch when a shot comes in and not react. Man of us expected to beat Newcastle because yet again we got carried away, I could name 6 players from Newcastle that would walk into our side, whether we like it or not they have better players than us and that was shown to us on Saturday. We're four games in and we're already talking about changing manager. What progress are you looking for? If your looking for top 6 you might aswell give up now.

I said "I find it laughable how you cannot brook any critcism of him without asking "who replaces him? I hear McLeish is still available" and "Like everyone else I hope Lambert is going to be a good manager for Villa, but..." However your pathetic response is "it's easy saying yep lets replace another manager."

Conversation closed I can't be arsed debating with someone who cannot be bothered to read.

I didnt expect to beat Liverpool BUT most fans did expect us to beat Newcastle. I dont advocate getting rid of Lambert or anything like it but I find it laughable how you cannot brook any critcism of him without asking "who replaces him? I hear McLeish is still available"

Also to claim  "Saturdays loss has sod all to do with an AM, it was the fact we made stupid defensive mistakes yet again" and give the impression that it was nothing to do with Lamberts tactics is frankly ridiculous. Apart from a few minutes after our goal we had no forward momentum all match, Lamberts decision to play counter attacking gave N'castle the initiaitive throughout and in the first 10-15 mins we were rarely in their half. we had no one to make telling passes and gave a shitload of possession back without pressure.

Like everyone else I hope Lambert is going to be a good manager for Villa, but for the foreseeable future I do not think we are going to make much progress and going backwards again wouldnt surprise me.

Who does replace him? Go on give me a name, it's easy saying yep lets replace another manager. The bottom line is we are miles behind, due to our excessive spending on average players. Not once have I said PL is not prone to criticism, defensively poor yet again, his decision to throw on Kozak and leave us a formation that looks like something out of football manager. Do you think he sits and tells Lowton, to actually let Remy walk through, do you think he actually tells Lowton to just ball watch when a shot comes in and not react. Man of us expected to beat Newcastle because yet again we got carried away, I could name 6 players from Newcastle that would walk into our side, whether we like it or not they have better players than us and that was shown to us on Saturday. We're four games in and we're already talking about changing manager. What progress are you looking for? If your looking for top 6 you might aswell give up now.

I said "I find it laughable how you cannot brook any critcism of him without asking "who replaces him? I hear McLeish is still available" and "Like everyone else I hope Lambert is going to be a good manager for Villa, but..." However your pathetic response is "it's easy saying yep lets replace another manager."

Conversation closed I can't be arsed debating with someone who cannot be bothered to read.

Then why even bother responding. Like I said PL is making mistakes, but to start mentioning fans will turn on him surely means only one thing, or is it a pantomime show where he's booed one week or cheered the next. But as you say I don't read so case closed.

No but I doubt people expected us to be dominated on all fronts at home to Newcastle.

We wern't dominated at all - we had the better chances and slightly more possession

Not a good enough performance but if we can improve slightly we will win more of those type of games than we lose.

Dominated perhaps slightly harsh a word but outplayed in every department is a fair assessment.

"Outplayed in every department" is still a massive exaggeration. We were poor but still had more possession and had the better chances - on another day we could have won it.

So far two good performances against Arsenal and Chelsea, a decent showing against Liverpool and a sub-par outing against Newcastle - anyone expecting us to steamroller sides like Liverpool and Newcastle has a long, disappointing season ahead

10th-12th will represent good progress for us this year

Made some really strange decisions on Saturday

The whole thing just didnt feel right.  Team did not feel together either.

I'm sure he'll be back to justify his greatest ever Villa manager tag soon, Richard! ;)

I'm sure he'll be back to justify his greatest ever Villa manager tag soon, Richard! ;)

You think he's the greatest ever?  That's some statement risso.

I thought the starting line up was spot on. I even thought the substitutions made sense at the time, though they didn't pay off.

The problems were more tactical, which has pretty much always been the case with Lambert. 

• Like 1

Nah, not for me.  I can't fathom why he's dropped Sylla so far this season.

I'd definitely have Sylla in and I suspect after KEA's performance against Newcastle we'll see him back in. But as for why KEA has played up to this point, I think he has justified that position until Saturday. It's how we (and Lambert) deal with Saturday's result going forward that will determine how we do this season. Saturday asked some questions of us that hadn't been asked up to that point. They now need answering and it'll be interesting to see those answers on the pitch.
  • Like 3

Is anyone seeing the story that we are set to sign Popov in January as other Prem clubs etc are showing strong interest? Wouldn't this make it a bit stupid of us to not have bought him this summer since the price will more than likely be inflated?

No, I haven't seen it. Where are you getting this from?

Maybe Lambert thought we didn't need an AM but has now changed his mind?

Nah, not for me.  I can't fathom why he's dropped Sylla so far this season.

I'd definitely have Sylla in and I suspect after KEA's performance against Newcastle we'll see him back in. But as for why KEA has played up to this point, I think he has justified that position until Saturday. It's how we (and Lambert) deal with Saturday's result going forward that will determine how we do this season. Saturday asked some questions of us that hadn't been asked up to that point. They now need answering and it'll be interesting to see those answers on the pitch.

I'd also add that up to this point he hasn't really had the players to be able to answer some questions either

Is anyone seeing the story that we are set to sign Popov in January as other Prem clubs etc are showing strong interest? Wouldn't this make it a bit stupid of us to not have bought him this summer since the price will more than likely be inflated?

No, I haven't seen it. Where are you getting this from?

Maybe Lambert thought we didn't need an AM but has now changed his mind?

Aston Villa 'to sign Ivelin Popov' amid Premier League interest

ASTON VILLA are preparing another offer for Bulgarian international Ivelin Popov.

By Gary Jones/ Published 15th September 2013

26884.jpgBulgarian ace Ivelin Popov

According to Russian paper Izvestia, Villa tried to snap up the former Feyenoord star during the summer transfer window but were told by Russian side Kuban Krasnodar they had to up their bid.

The winger is thought to have been a target for several Premier League clubs, who are now planning a second round of negotations when the winter transfer window opens.

The Russian Premier League outfit have told Villa they will only accept bid worth over £8m, but pressure from the player could help drive down the price.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/338866/Aston-Villa-to-sign-Ivelin-Popov-amid-Premier-League-interest