If we stay up...

P3te

I'm not actually sure this is destined to be a "positive" thread.

If we stay up - which I think is maybe the more likely outcome (though we will probably only scrape it) - all the issues will remain the same: threadbare squad, weak and inexperienced team, not enough quality coming through from the youth team, owner unwilling to spend much, manager who has disappointed many of his early advocates through tactical naivety and inflexibility in squad selection.

The positive bit is that all these problems might get less as the players and manager get more experienced, and that the extra TV money will mean we are at least still in the same ball park as the other premier league clubs (sorry to mix sporting metaphors) should we ever decide to enter the transfer market for a big player.

After selling the high earning wasters and collecting the TV money, I'd like the club to invest ALL available money on player acquisition. No North Stand project, none of that. PLAYERS. DEPTH. IMPROVEMENT ON THE PITCH.

You want to spend 1/3 of our total annual turnover on transfer fees in one transfer window?

I think we are in desperate need of it, don't you? Plus won't we be getting around 50 million tv rights money next season.

I am not sure if we will stay up .... always very dubious of teams that leak goals at will...don't see much changing.

I think we can stay up IF we address positively our shortcomings.

I have supported Lambert from the start but am now unsure. Hope he makes it.

Too many problems, going on for too long and still in evidence.

Ultimately, still think we will be as good as we are in the transfer market.

Edited by TRO

I dont think we will stay up ( not enough games left to get the points we need )

But if we did stay up we would become a club like Wigan ( fighting relegation every season ) the reason for this is because Lerner can afford to buy a Premier League team BUT he can't afford the continuing expence that goes with it.

Some are still claiming he deserves enormous credit for keeping us up.

True, not sure I can claim any basis for saying he's disappointed "many" of his original supporters.

I know he's disappointed me, that's all really.

EDIT

And of course he has a chance to pull it round if he can get us playing consistently like the first half against the Baggies and banishes the second half for good.

Edited by briny_ear

If we stay up, or as I like to say when we stay up, this group of players will have built themselves enormous character at the same time as gaining a year's experience developing in the Premier League and they'll all obviously be one year older - something which is clearly currently an issue. If; sorry when; they avoid the drop, this core of players will be the foundation for a sustainable quality Villa squad for the next 4 or 5 years. Benteke will leave of course. He's too good for someone not to come in and nick him. But once we can add quality youth at a more steady and reasoned rate than we have had to this year then we'll be more than fine. Imagine this team with the ability they already have to go ahead in matches but allied to the experience and physical stamina to see games through. It would be like the 3-1 in Anfield every week.

Lambert has taken on the Dortmund model and it can work. At the moment it looks as though there's a very fine line between us being set up for the next half a decade or the whole thing being thrown on the scrapheap. But for the purpose of this thread, it works, we stay up and we never look back except to wipe our brow and gasp "that was a close one". Onwards and upwards. Starting this evening.

If we stay up we need to address the players like Hutton, Given, Warnock, Bent, Gabby who are all on high wages that their performances don't justisfy. Whether we pay them off, sell them whatever they need to be removed from the equation and Randy needs to realise that money has to be spent to "refill" the squad with premier league standard players. If he doesn't want to spend money then we'll go down next year instead.

Okay, so there's plenty of talk in the relegation thread about what'll happen if we go down, but how do people think we'll fare if we stay up?

For what it's worth, I think if we stay up we'll actually start to see an about turn in our fortunes relatively quickly. We won't he pushing the top 6 for a while, but looking at the players who make up the core of the team now, we're not a million miles away from being competitive come next season. We'd still need 4-5 new signings, at least 3 of whom are in the 27-30 age bracket, but there's plenty of raw (arguably very, very raw) talent to work with.

Keeping Lambert is absolutely essential whether we stay up or go down IMO. The last thing we need is another change in manager. That would mean O'Neill, Houllier, McLeish, Lambert and A.N. Other since the start of 2010 - more if you add in the stints that MacDonald and McAllister had as interim managers, however brief. The club can't afford another new man, with more backroom staff and different tactical, transfer and player handling methods. Ultimately that's been the most damaging thing for us in all of this. Our squad in the last couple of seasons has been a Frankenstein's monster of multiple manager's signings, tactics and approach. More than ever we need consistency.

Would people want to see another change in management if we stay up?

NO RELEGATION TALK PLEASE. IGNORE THE FEW POSTS THAT MENTIONED IT AND TAKE THE THREAD ON THE ASSUMPTION OF US STAYING UP

HOOOORRAAYY - a positive post!

i feel all warm and fuzzy now, well said P3te

Benteke will leave of course. He's too good for someone not to come in and nick him.

Would his departure, on its own, be enough?

And would it be about someone coming in to nick a player or the club actively trying to capitalize on interest in a player or players?

Edited by snowychap

Snowy I reckon it'll be enough. He'll go somewhere huge. He'll want to move IMHO. We won't be able to hold onto him. But these are just my assumptions.

Snowy I reckon it'll be enough. He'll go somewhere huge. He'll want to move IMHO. We won't be able to hold onto him. But these are just my assumptions.

Fair enough. I mean I agree with you on the likelihood of him going and for the reasons you say but I can't see that being where it stops.

I hope you're right, though.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â