College sports - general chat

leviramsey

Caught the first half of Miami vs Florida last night, but like a rock star, I couldn't stay awake for the second half. 

I thought that Miamis QB Ward looked decent. Very composed in the pocket & good agility before resetting himself when chased. Albeit, he did throw across his body twice & had one picked. The other was a brilliant catch by their number 7, whose name escapes me due to the spelling, lol. And 'he' looked pretty special. The sort of go-to guy that a good team needs. Their O-line looked big & fast, their wide receivers looked decent. Overall, they looked very good.

Thought Florida were poor in the first half except a 70+ yard run by a running back. Their QB just looked swamped by the Miami defence.

Im not sure why, but I just don't like Florida. I don't like that silly snapping gator mouth celebration, I don't like their colours, I don't like the way their stadium puts them in the shade & the opposition in the heat, etc, etc. I just don't like them. 

Edited by Andy_10
Spelling

9 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

Caught the first half of Miami vs Florida last night, but like a rock star, I couldn't stay awake for the second half. 

I thought that Miamis QB Ward looked decent. Very composed in the pocket & good agility before resetting himself when chased. Albeit, he did throw across his body twice & had one picked. The other was a brilliant catch by their number 7, whose name escapes me due to the spelling, lol. And 'he' looked pretty special. The sort of go-to guy that a good team needs. Their O-line looked big & fast, their wide receivers looked decent. Overall, they looked very good.

Thought Florida were poor in the first half except a 70+ yard run by a running back. Their QB just looked swamped by the Miami defence.

Im not sure why, but I just don't like Florida. I don't like that silly snapping gator mouth celebration, I don't like their colours, I don't like the way their stadium puts them in the shade & the opposition in the heat, etc, etc. I just don't like them. 

I have hated Florida since childhood and always take great delight in them getting destroyed!

Put it this way: I hate the Gators so much they made we want Miami, a team I would otherwise also hate, to win 🤣

My brother-in-law has lived in Gainesville for at least 25 years, was a professor there until just a few years ago. Not the most fun place to visit, even in winter when the weather isn’t completely heinous 

• Haha 1

I visited Florida about 15 years ago to a place near Kissimmee. I thought that name was a joke at first, lol.

I didn't enjoy Florida much. Most of the people were very rude & it was hotter than the sun when it wasn't raining.

My first experience of that rain was just after I had passed my driving test & my first drive was in Florida on wrong side of the road. I pulled out of the airport & rain just dropped out of the sky like someone had dumped a very large bath over my car & made my visual distance about the end of the front bonnet. Entering a freeway following the sat-nav was fortunately on a curve, which meant that I could use the sound of the bumps at the edge of the road to hear if I was running off the road, lol.

How we made it to the Villa in one piece, I will never know.

Maybe thats part of the reason I don't like their college team.

32 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

I visited Florida about 15 years ago to a place near Kissimmee. I thought that name was a joke at first, lol.

I didn't enjoy Florida much. Most of the people were very rude & it was hotter than the sun when it wasn't raining.

My first experience of that rain was just after I had passed my driving test & my first drive was in Florida on wrong side of the road. I pulled out of the airport & rain just dropped out of the sky like someone had dumped a very large bath over my car & made my visual distance about the end of the front bonnet. Entering a freeway following the sat-nav was fortunately on a curve, which meant that I could use the sound of the bumps at the edge of the road to hear if I was running off the road, lol.

How we made it to the Villa in one piece, I will never know.

Maybe thats part of the reason I don't like their college team.

Florida sucks.

End of. 

Kissimmee is basically Orlando. The name itself is of Native American origin 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I missed the end. When I had to turn it off it looked like a likely loss for us. What happened? 

Gophers missed a field goal wide right to win the game as time expired

6 minutes ago, MNVillan said:

Gophers missed a field goal wide right to win the game as time expired

Ah, my mind immediately went to there being a bad call from the refs or something similar.

And your kicker had already doinked a gimme FG earlier in the game 

14 hours ago, Tegis said:

Mid-American Conference teams are 0-51 against top 5 ranked teams.

Northern Illinois , hold my beer

That was glorious. Unless they are playing dook, I always want Notre Dame to lose 🤣 To lose that game in South Bend is gonna leave a mark, and I’m all for it 

7 hours ago, Andy_10 said:

Ended up with a rained out Florida game delay game this weekend, which like a rock star, I fell asleep half way through.

Why are Florida so popular for TV?

I think it’s slightly more that the SEC is popular, and despite how Florida has played, a conference game with a pretty good Texas A&M team is gonna draw viewers. If you count the ESPN networks, pretty much every game involving an SEC team last Saturday was televised, and the handful that featured 2 SEC teams were all on major networks 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Hey, take it for what it’s worth 😉

I genuinely appreciate the explanation. It just confused & irritated me why I always see Florida on my TV, lol.

And your explanation makes sense. 😁👌

Is the SEC the one with Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, etc? And I just realised that SEC stands for South Eastern Conference, so probably, lol.

27 minutes ago, Andy_10 said:

I genuinely appreciate the explanation. It just confused & irritated me why I always see Florida on my TV, lol.

And your explanation makes sense. 😁👌

Is the SEC the one with Georgia, Alabama, Clemson, etc? And I just realised that SEC stands for South Eastern Conference, so probably, lol.

Almost, Clemson is in the ACC (Atlantic Coast Conference, home of my beloved North Carolina Tar Heels) 

To further muddy the waters, there is a lot of talk of Clemson and Florida State leaving the ACC to join the SEC. It’s crazy, what once made sense has been destroyed all because of 🏈

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan
  • Like 1

Which will make it all the more difficult for other teams to compete for the National Title if the same group of strong teams play each other regularly.

I have a soft spot for Oregon & USC, but I doubt that they could compete for national titles any time soon.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â