The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Given isn't commanding enough to be a top keeper these days. Guzan is definitely the better option. So he made a mistake against Man City, a rare mistake is something all goalkeepers should be afforded especially when you've had as many great performances as Guzan has had in the last few seasons.

Given was poor yesterday and if I was Guzan I'd be knocking on Sherwoods door pointing that out and asking to start the next game.

One of the things most people were saying that Given does better than Guzan is disruption but at least three times yesterday, Given booted the ball straight down the centre over everyone to their keeper and once straight out for a throw. There was also that poor pass to richardson near the end (although most of the blame should go to richardson because he should still have been able to recover).

Looking at whoscored, Guzan has an average of 28 passes and 9 long balls per game with a completion of 54.7%, Given has 26 and 8 with a completion of only 45.3%.

So we need a new goalkeeper next season?

No I don't think so.

Nothing wrong with Guzan for where we are as a club. He'd go to a better team than us if he left.

would he though? When we were shit under Lambert he probably would have but now we are a team on the rise. Next season we should be going for top 10 and of our contenders I dont think many would have Guzan

no team on the continent will touch him

Yes. He would.

I like Guzan but he has hardly had a good season, we'd benefit more as a club if we had some serious competition for him, someone who will push him for that number one spot rather than just having back up. One things for sure is that Given doesn't cut the mustard. 

It's almost like we were defending corners problem free with Guzan in the team.

That's an incredibly general way of looking at it.

The problems with Given in goal were specifically to do with him. Flapping at them or not being strong enough or commanding enough to claim them.

With Guzan there may have been defensive lapses, but they were with the defence in general, you'd be hard pushed to pin that on Guzan.

The only think that I'm surprised about is that anyone is surprised that having Given in goal means we struggled with crosses.

Guzan is our number 1 for a reason.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

Well famous last words but at least that won't be an issue in the cup final as Arsenal are hardly known for their bullyboy tactics on keepers from corners. They're more likely to chip the ball to Ramsey or Cazorla to volley one in from 25 yards.

Giroud is very good in the air though, that's my worry.

That's the central defenders jobs then.

Im not that overly happy with either of them to be honest 

A cheeky bid for the Newcastle fella wouldn't do any harm to keep folk switched on and on their toes!

Obviously.

It would be a lot of money for a back up goalkeeper.

What do you value Guzan/Given at out of interest?

TBH, I think all keepers are only as good as the back 4. 

Familiarity breeds content.

Edited by Kingman

Obviously.

It would be a lot of money for a back up goalkeeper.

What do you value Guzan/Given at out of interest?

TBH, I think all keepers are only as good as the back 4. 

Familiarity breeds content.

Or contempt, even.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â