The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I might be being harsh on him but I think he could've knocked it over the bar rather than palming it back into play, though I'll give him the benefit of the doubt seeing as he was being impeded.

Think he should have done better for both goals personally - Lukaku's pen wasn't up to much and he should have been stronger with Coleman. I think Guzan would have kept at least one of those out.

the penalty was right in the corner, most keepers wouldnt have saved it wspecially as Given was about 3 yards off his line as well to cover the angle

It wasn't right in the corner at all.

I don't thin kyou can ever blame a keeper for not saving a penalty, so I don't blame Given for that at all. But it wasn't right in the corner.

Guest av1

The big test literally and figuratively will be against West Ham. If Sam knows anything about Given, he will set up his team to float in crosses which will force Given to come out and try to gather them.

A keeper that doesn't come off his line would be absolute suicide against a side managed by Big Sam.

Guzan has to play against West Ham IMO.

thats an over exaggeration if ever ive saw one. Given and Big Sam have played in the same league for nearly 15 years and I cant remember many times he has been destroyed by a Big Sam team

We definitely need a new keeper. Given is terrible with crosses and high balls, just awful. 

I think a younger keeper that can keep Guzan on his toes would be ideal. Guzan is still a fantastic keeper. Just because he has had a few bad matches this year, doesn't mean he is not quality as he has shown in the last two seasons. 

Guest av1

thats an over exaggeration if ever ive saw one. Given and Big Sam have played in the same league for nearly 15 years and I cant remember many times he has been destroyed by a Big Sam team

Yes i probably worded that to strongly, but i do believe that Guzan's strengths are better suited to playing west ham than those of Given.

Guzan hasn't kept a penalty out since the Peace Cup.  He would not have saved that penalty.

I think you're wrong by about 6 penalties there chap!

He saved one at Norwich but cant remember many more from Brad sadly, though other Brad was crap at them as well

Saved one against Chelsea when we lost 8-0, I can see why most people forgot about that one...

Wel, we are apparently buying some young Danish keeper in the summer...

We have been linked with Martin Hansen (Ado Den Haag) who was on Liverpool's books as a youngster..

He is 24 and getting rave reviews in Holland.

Looking at the penalty....I think at 39 Given just dosen't have the reach anymore to get across his goal when he dives. Especially after busting his shoulder at Man. City a few years back.

I think if Guzan goes the right way he would've tipped Lukaku's penalty round the post as it wasn't right in the corner and Given couldn't get down in time.

Looking at the penalty....I think at 39 Given just dosen't have the reach anymore to get across his goal when he dives. Especially after busting his shoulder at Man. City a few years back.

I think if Guzan goes the right way he would've tipped Lukaku's penalty round the post as it wasn't right in the corner and Given couldn't get down in time.

I don't think that is the issue, if you watch the penalty Given steps out before Lukaku strikes it, giving him no chance of getting down and across in time.

I'm a bit undecided at the moment. I think Guzan is a far better keeper, but his confidence is shot ATM. It was how he reacted to the goal against City rather than the goal it's self. The second wouldn't have happened with Guzan in goal, I know Given was being fouled, but he was still weak. It was the right time to drop him, but I'm not sure. I suppose I would give Given a few games.

I don't think that is the issue, if you watch the penalty Given steps out before Lukaku strikes it, giving him no chance of getting down and across in time.

You're both wrong. He was wrong footed, simple as that

It was correct to drop him but we have Everton and West Ham who like to cross the ball so it was bad timing fixture wise. Need a commanding keeper for those types of teams.

Why? We didn't struggle at all with crosses into the box. The only issue was when the keeper was fouled.

I actually reckon it was the right decision not to give a free. Keepers usually get the benefit of the doubt in those situations though not necessarily correctly - think that's why even the Everton fans thought he'd blow for a free.

Was a bit of a freak goal but Given should be all over Coleman - he's not exactly the biggest guy in the world. If it was the other way round they'd never get a penalty.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â