The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Yeah there is that but then I guess Sherwood can say he didn't pick the team so its not like he was the one giving given the chance.

If anything I'd hope Sherwood would pick the players based on what he sees in training this week. 

I'm sure he will - but then there's no guarantee that Guzan has been better in training, is there? 

I just don't see why everyone is getting so het up in this thread - he'll pick the team he wants to pick. Then we watch, see how it goes over 90 mins, and then work out where to go from there. Everyone seems determined to get upset about things that not only haven't turned out badly, but haven't even yet happened. 

• Like 1

Yeah there is that but then I guess Sherwood can say he didn't pick the team so its not like he was the one giving given the chance.

If anything I'd hope Sherwood would pick the players based on what he sees in training this week. 

I'm sure he will - but then there's no guarantee that Guzan has been better in training, is there? 

I just don't see why everyone is getting so het up in this thread - he'll pick the team he wants to pick. Then we watch, see how it goes over 90 mins, and then work out where to go from there. Everyone seems determined to get upset about things that not only haven't turned out badly, but haven't even yet happened. 

I didn't say Guzan would be better in training. What i'm saying is it would make more sense for Sherwood to pick his team based on what he sees in training rather than one cup game, whether it be Guzan or Given that starts.

Also I don't think anybody is getting het up. They are just pointing out that Given hasn't done anything to displace Guzan.

Edited by sexbelowsound

Given is a better shot stopper. Guzan is better at commanding his area and collecting crosses. Guzan has been disappointing for me this season. (who hasnt though..)

I would pick Given on form but long term its obviously Guzan.. do you maybe pick Given for a little while till he drops form and risk upsetting Guzan? 

Tough call. Not as clear cut as some may believe. 

It's not a remotely tough call. Given isn't fit to lace Guzan's boots

Guzan is not in good form.. so yes i disagree with you.

Guzan is hardly in bad form. How many goals has he cost us directly compared with the upset bringing shay in would cause to the defence?  Too many people don't have the first clue about goalkeeping on these sites. Christ.

Given is a better shot stopper. Guzan is better at commanding his area and collecting crosses. Guzan has been disappointing for me this season. (who hasnt though..)

I would pick Given on form but long term its obviously Guzan.. do you maybe pick Given for a little while till he drops form and risk upsetting Guzan? 

Guzan is hardly in bad form. How many goals has he cost us directly compared with the upset bringing shay in would cause to the defence?  Too many people don't have the first clue about goalkeeping on these sites. Christ.

The amount of patronising that goes on in these sites is incredible, especially from someone who states the bit I have highlighted.

Shay Given time at Villa and its been topsy turvy to say the least

MOTM on debut

player of season 

shocking Euro 2012

dropped

bad cup semi final 

bomb squad

loaned out

assistant manager

potentially another cup semi final

:lol:

• Like 2

Sorry? You'd pick Given on form, from one game? That's a joke. Guzan has been brilliant for the most part of nearly three years now and you'd pick Given on form?

Seeing him make a top class save in the cup does not mean he should be replacing Guzan. Guzan has still been one of our best performers this season.

• Like 1

Of course he is, the key being 'back up'. I still have a nasty feeling that Given will be picked on Saturday as ever since the final whistle was blown in the FA Cup game against Leicester he's been talking up he want to be in the starting eleven. Which of course, he has ever right to let the new manager know he wants to fight Brad for the spot.

Edited by Killeen30

If Given starts I'll be irritated regardless of whether we win or not (though I'll be buzzing for days before it sets in!).

Given isn't what he used to be. Guzan is the much better keeper and hasn't 'lost' his place.

The amount of patronising that goes on in these sites is incredible, especially from someone who states the bit I have highlighted.

What I said is true. Guzan is streets ahead of Given for a team like Villa because he's commanding. Shay isnt, nor has he ever been. He looks great on MOTD and pulls off worldies for fun, but he's NOT what a team at the bottom needs from their last line of defence. He's too quiet, he's poor on crosses and he's especially weak at set pieces. If we were top 6-8, with a defence to match, there'd be vastly different criteria, but when you're where we are you do not replace someone like Guzan with someone like Given

I didn't say Guzan would be better in training. What i'm saying is it would make more sense for Sherwood to pick his team based on what he sees in training rather than one cup game, whether it be Guzan or Given that starts.

Also I don't think anybody is getting het up. They are just pointing out that Given hasn't done anything to displace Guzan.

Hmmm.

If Given starts I'll be irritated regardless of whether we win or not (though I'll be buzzing for days before it sets in!).

Given isn't what he used to be. Guzan is the much better keeper and hasn't 'lost' his place.

Sorry? You'd pick Given on form, from one game? That's a joke. Guzan has been brilliant for the most part of nearly three years now and you'd pick Given on form?

Here's an idea - why don't we all wait until he names the teamsheet before we start having conniptions? Or an even better idea - wait until the game is finished, and we've seen the performance of whoever the goalie was?

Edited by HanoiVillan

Seeing him make a top class save in the cup does not mean he should be replacing Guzan. Guzan has still been one of our best performers this season.

I think guzan isn't on top of his game.. just like outfield players when they are not in form they get dropped. For the record I wouldn't upset guzan as he's our long term keeper by dropping him but he does need some pressure. The overreaction in this thread is amazing.

I think Guzans been under par this season. Some bad mistakes, awful delivery at times. I think its fair to give Given a chance now.

Nonsense, imo of course.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â