The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I'm a bit torn. I thought Given's distribution yesterday was far better than Guzan's has been. And that was a great save. He also was commanding in his box.

On the other hand Guzan has been a very good keeper for us, and has not been found wanting on any occasion really in the past 3 years.

Shay Given shat himself at the Euros for Ireland

I'm not torn at all.

Given might be our first choice now. When a new manager comes in you never know in football.

No chance. Guzan has done nothing wrong and given isn't commanding enough. Not sure why people have this idea that given will be first choice. He won't

It would surprise me.

If Sherwood doesn't know already, he'll have some sort of team report given to him.

And the report will say that Guzan has been more or less and ever present for 3 seasons and has been consistently one of our best players.

To make Given number 1 after a good performance in the cup, but one where he only faced two shots on target, one of which he dropped, would be crazy.

Yes, but this season Guzan haven't been as consistant. I think it's fair to give Given a chance now.

In the most important run of games in our whole season? Possibly in our whole premier league history?

Sorry, that's not "fair". That's mental.

People are overreacting due to one save. It was a stunning save, but that doesn't suddenly make him better than Guzan.

Given is a steady, solid, experienced goal keeper. You are talking like its a gamble if we play Given. Thats total nonsense.

It would surprise me.

If Sherwood doesn't know already, he'll have some sort of team report given to him.

And the report will say that Guzan has been more or less and ever present for 3 seasons and has been consistently one of our best players.

To make Given number 1 after a good performance in the cup, but one where he only faced two shots on target, one of which he dropped, would be crazy.

Yes, but this season Guzan haven't been as consistant. I think it's fair to give Given a chance now.

In the most important run of games in our whole season? Possibly in our whole premier league history?

People are overreacting due to one save. It was a stunning save, but that doesn't suddenly make him better than Guzan.

Given is a steady, solid, experienced goal keeper. You are talking like its a gamble if we play Given. Thats total nonsense.
Playing Shay is a huge gamble given his weakness at crosses and lack of command of his area. He's a world class shot stopper, but guzan is ten times the keeper he is all round Edited by P3te
  • Like 2

It would surprise me.

Playing a keeper who is clearly not as good as our other keeper is a huge gamble.

Its absolutely crazy.

• Like 1

I'm a bit torn. I thought Given's distribution yesterday was far better than Guzan's has been. And that was a great save. He also was commanding in his box.

On the other hand Guzan has been a very good keeper for us, and has not been found wanting on any occasion really in the past 3 years.

Shay Given shat himself at the Euros for Ireland

I'm not torn at all.

Given's thigh injuries have hampered his kicking now, his kicks barely reach the halfway line.

Keep Guzan in for the league 100% but yes he has shown he's still very capable in the cups.

Unless we play Bradford as him being rooted to his line for all those corners was one of the reasons we we were knocked out imo.

If it was up to me I'd play Goose but I think TS might play Given as his display vs Leicester was top class and I'm all for Shay having another chance although I agree that he was woeful in the Euros and then the goal he let in from a header vs Everton in his last league game was as bad as it gets. 

If it was up to me I'd play Goose but I think TS might play Given as his display vs Leicester was top class and I'm all for Shay having another chance although I agree that he was woeful in the Euros and then the goal he let in from a header vs Everton in his last league game was as bad as it gets. 

Shay should only get another run in the first team when Brad is injured or out of form. He is neither, so you don't change it. Simple as that

No chance of Sherwood playing Given Saturday - absolutely no chance

If Given was anything less than brilliant, Sherwood would look a complete plum dropping our first choice keeper for his "mate"

It could split the dressing room from the off

Unless Guzan has a complete 'mare at some time, whats the point of pissing off a good keeper with ten years ahead of him for a keeper right in the dying embers of his career

If Given was anything less than brilliant, Sherwood would look a complete plum dropping our first choice keeper for his "mate"

Unless Guzan has a complete 'mare at some time, whats the point of pissing off a good keeper with ten years ahead of him for a keeper right in the dying embers of his career

Maybe a shake up like that will give everyone a kick up the behind. Shock tactics, i like it.

Maybe a shake up like that will give everyone a kick up the behind. Shock tactics, i like it.

Crazy if you ask me

I really don't think its as bigger gulf as some are making out to be honest!

It's not a gulf.

Shay is a fine number 2 keeper and were Guzan injured I'd be comfortable with Given standing in.

But, gulf or no gulf, Guzan is still the better keeper. So to replace him at such a crucial stage of the season based on nothing more than one save and the fact that Sherwood "knows" Shay, would be crazy.

You don't do that with your keeper

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â