U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Okay then, prove my last post wrong. Expand on these three points. Give us reasons why. Not just empty rhetoric.

Don't agree with his stance on global warming and the way green card holders have been held at airports and the wall seems like a very extreme action to take. Also his views on abortion. I agree with the cut down of immigrants from Muslim countries but why not Saudi Arabia and others? We think we know why and I don't agree with that.

Looking inward on itself is what a lot of countries need to do in the western world. Caring for its own people first and not immigrants is a great way to start. Look at America in the 50s great powerful country. Get a sense of nationalism back. your last two points are basically the same. I find it hard to explain what I mean or in your eyes I don't know what I mean. trump might not be the right man to steady America but some of his values are. 

15 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Look at America in the 50s great powerful country.

So you're suggesting that America in the 50s was some kind of paradise that the policies and values of Trump and his supporters are trying to take the country back to?

Edited by snowychap

30 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

There's a delicious irony in the pro-Brexit tory word removed Nadhim Zahawi complaining about the US taking control of their borders. It's alright, as long as he's not one of the ones banned. 

Campaigning against freedom of movement in the EU is a bit different to this though, surely?  

Just now, Chindie said:

Iraq is considering a reciprocal ban on US citizens.

It's unfortunate for them that usually when Americans arrive in their country they turn up in large numbers without asking first and carrying lots of dangerous materials and equipment.

Maybe we'll have another chance...;)

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What was so bad about it?

Heard of Martin Luther King Jr? He hadn't given his "I have a dream" speech yet. :P 

McCarthyism wasn't that grand, either.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

What was so bad about it?

Probably not much as long as you were a white christian patriot not accused of having 'subversive' associations.

Even allowing for that, it was six decades ago. We need to take the world forward rather than hark back to some unreachable, nostalgic, questionable paradise as we're not going to get there without some pretty catastrophic events occuring in the interim.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Chindie said:

The state visit is going to be a horror show. They've already identified Charles as a problem, given how much his environmentalism has become a focus over the years, Trump is concerned about having 'a lecture'.

Imagine if the Queen died in the interim, too.

Edited by snowychap

10 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Probably not much as long as you were a white christian patriot not accused of having 'subversive' associations.

Even allowing for that, it was six decades ago. We need to take the world forward rather than hark back to some unreachable and nostalgic, questionable paradise as we're not going to get there without some pretty catastrophic events occuring in the interim.

This is the point I'm getting at. Without going all KKK I think America needs to rediscover it's Christian values. A lot went wrong in the 50s but we have moved forward regarding discrimination of black people. But you can go too far forward in which I think we are heading, or maybe not so now.

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

This is the point I'm getting at.

I'm sorry but you need to clarify what you are getting at as it seems to be confused and confusing - we have moved forward regarding discrimination of black people. But you can go too far forward . What do you mean by this?

America need to rediscover its Christian values - I mean what precisely does this mean with regards to non-whites, non-christians, accused 'non-patriots', accused 'subversives', homosexuals, people seeking abortions, women, &c.?

1 hour ago, snowychap said:

Maybe they thought they could effect a change in the attitude and policy of the UK government towards him?

Massively naive if they did. As I said "Good luck to all those people who did march, I wish them well" but, no, that's not going to happen. I'll stick with my cynical view.

America rediscovering its Christian values underneath a man with 5 kids from 3 wives. That is a good one :)

which Christian values do they need to get back to by the way?

Edited by StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, blandy said:

Massively naive if they did. As I said "Good luck to all those people who did march, I wish them well" but, no, that's not going to happen. I'll stick with my cynical view.

Your cynical view doesn't seem a long way away from 'why bother ever protesting 'cos it's never going to change anything'.

Edited by snowychap

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

The leader of the USA is an imposter. He's clearly not fit for purpose. Our leader is being an incredible sycophant and refusing to criticise him in any way in case he gets offended and doesn't throw us some crumbs. **** that. Tell everyone he's not wearing any clothes.

He's NOT an imposter, though, is he. He was legally and fairly elected by the US electorate.

I'm not fan of him or May, far from it, but it's absolutely standard for our leader to sycophant the US leader. Blair being Bush's poodle, Thatcher - Reagan, and so on. Of course the UK people don't have to like or agree with it and are quite free to march or whatever else. Good on 'em. Won't change a thing, mind and they can post it on their Facebooks and twitters and feel good.

Protest against something that actually matters. That can improve their and our lives, not the legal election of (albeit a tool) as President of somewhere else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Your cynical view though doesn't seem a long way away from 'why bother ever protesting 'cos it's never going to change anything'.

If so, I'd say that flies in the face of history. It doesn't mean that protests always or even often work (or even work as intended) but protests can work.

I agree protests can work, when they're focused, have a clear aim and are widely seen as having a "just cause".

Sorry, but women (or men, or people who don't care to define themselves by gender..) in the UK going on a march to "protest" about Trump being elected doesn't meet those criteria for me. He's not their Pres. the UK isn't the US, he was fairly elected under the US system, yes he's horrible and ignorant and all that, but in this instance there's no "point" to the protests IMO.

1 hour ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Don't agree with his stance on global warming and the way green card holders have been held at airports and the wall seems like a very extreme action to take. Also his views on abortion. I agree with the cut down of immigrants from Muslim countries but why not Saudi Arabia and others? We think we know why and I don't agree with that.

Looking inward on itself is what a lot of countries need to do in the western world. Caring for its own people first and not immigrants is a great way to start. Look at America in the 50s great powerful country. Get a sense of nationalism back. your last two points are basically the same. I find it hard to explain what I mean or in your eyes I don't know what I mean. trump might not be the right man to steady America but some of his values are. 

I think we need to move away from this way of thinking. 

Why should we care about one stranger over another just because they won a random lottery which meant they were born on the same piece of land as yourself?

And this presidency doesn't look like it will look after its own people. It will look after a select group that match what this president deems important. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â