U.S. Politics

maqroll

13 hours ago, nick76 said:

Anther reason to love Josh from West Wing… 

But it's  more of the same about  saying how terrible the opposition are, rather than saying how good Harris could be, and what she stands for. I don't think this helps really.

7 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

But it's  more of the same about  saying how terrible the opposition are, rather than saying how good Harris could be, and what she stands for. I don't think this helps really.

This is a warm up act preaching to the converted. This isn't an appeal to the undecided or the independent voters.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

That matters though, because  this is what is shared/reported on

It's really not, the impact of that speech will be minimal, it won't make major news channels etc. It will persuade no-one, nor was it intended to

How many of Michael Stipe's speeches and songs with Jason Isbell at Harris / Waltz rallies have made the news?

Do you think Bruce Springsteen's upcoming appearances at H/W rallies in the Rustbelt are going to make the news?

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

It's really not, the impact of that speech will be minimal, it won't make major news channels etc. It will persuade no-one, nor was it intended to

How many of Michael Stipe's speeches and songs with Jason Isbell at Harris / Waltz rallies have made the news?

Do you think Bruce Springsteen's upcoming appearances at H/W rallies in the Rustbelt are going to make the news?

Stipe, probably not, Springsteen probably more so. But it doesn't necessarily need to be news broadcasts,  it's also about what people share elsewhere, online news etc.

I'm  not commenting on Stipe/Springsteen as I don't know what they said/did. 

For the Democrats though, there is a risk this sort of thing becomes a distraction. Do undecided/soft voters see good reasons to vote Harris, or do they see more of this sort of stuff?

4 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

For the Democrats though, there is a risk this sort of thing becomes a distraction

Is it a distraction or is it the only thing?  Policy speeches aren’t getting through, normal speech rhetoric isn’t getting through, it’s all sadly about sound bites.  It’s either top line position on a topic i.e. Roe v Wade or attacking the opponent personally or their position.  People seem not to be caring about the detail behind the policies at this stage because Trump has made it this way.  Hopefully by next election when he’s gone some normality will come back in but sadly I think society is becoming a 256 character reactionary society.

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Is it a distraction or is it the only thing?  Policy speeches aren’t getting through, normal speech rhetoric isn’t getting through, it’s all sadly about sound bites.  It’s either top line position on a topic i.e. Roe v Wade or attacking the opponent personally or their position.  People seem not to be caring about the detail behind the policies at this stage because Trump has made it this way.  Hopefully by next election when he’s gone some normality will come back in but sadly I think society is becoming a 256 character reactionary society.

I don't  think it's  just Trump,  it's a longer term that has preceded him, and from which he is a logical  progression.

8 minutes ago, one_ian_taylor said:

I don't  think it's  just Trump,  it's a longer term that has preceded him, and from which he is a logical  progression.

I don’t think it’s a logical progression, it’s something he has exploited and unfortunately others have to do it because normal debate gets drowned out.  I agree he didn’t start it but there was red lines that were held by everybody before Trump and collectively if somebody crossed those lines then all sides would’ve pushed that candidate out.  He’s so far cross the red line on so many things then I can’t agree it’s logical progression.

Something is about to drop that’s really bad for Trump I think.  All the top right wing influencers are making similar comments about they expect some deep state shit to come out and it will be fake.  As if they have been warned something is coming out and they should get ahead of it.

Hmmm…..

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I don’t think it’s a logical progression, it’s something he has exploited and unfortunately others have to do it because normal debate gets drowned out.  I agree he didn’t start it but there was red lines that were held by everybody before Trump and collectively if somebody crossed those lines then all sides would’ve pushed that candidate out.  He’s so far cross the red line on so many things then I can’t agree it’s logical progression.

There was an episode of Black Mirror that summed up the general direction nicely and arguably foretold Trump (just looked, was "The Waldo Moment" from 2013). It wouldn't  have worked so well if there wasn't a strong element of plausibility,  so perhaps logical is a less apt word than unavoidable.  And also, how did we also end up with Boris Johnson, Bolsonaro and Berlusconi before them all?  Trump is not the only one, but is the highest profile example of a response to the inability of various political classes to be able to communicate with and inspire voters. 

22 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Something is about to drop that’s really bad for Trump I think.  All the top right wing influencers are making similar comments about they expect some deep state shit to come out and it will be fake.  As if they have been warned something is coming out and they should get ahead of it.

Hmmm…..

Is it finally what happened in Moscow? 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Hopefully a huge heart attack on stage. 

I also really need to get some deadpool points. 

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Hmmm…..

The internet was abuzz the other week with something similar about Starmer that was going to bring him down … far as I know he’s still out there harming pensioners …

so I’d take it with a pinch of salt personally 

• Thanks 1

Can someone educated in this matter - tell me who is favourite for the presidency?

Online both sides are OTT in their projecting wins for their candidate. 

Democrats are wheeling out the big guns - Obama etc

Republicans claiming its a landslide.

Edited by pas5898
additions

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Can someone educated in this matter - tell me who is favourite for the presidency?

There are so many ways to measure "favourite" that this is impossible to answer.

It's likely that the predictive models are wrong for this one because of the increase in new voters.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Most places are saying it's too close to call. That is where we are at right now. There is no favourite.

• Thanks 1

'Revelations' today that Trump groped one of Epstein's ladies. Hardly a surprise to anyone. But I take it the Dems are putting all their eggs into the female vote, reminding any wavering female voters that he wants to control your body AND he's still most definitely a sex criminal. Amazing how quickly people forget the bleeding obvious and need reminding.

12 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

The internet was abuzz the other week with something similar about Starmer that was going to bring him down … far as I know he’s still out there harming pensioners …

so I’d take it with a pinch of salt personally 

Yeah I know, even something like this would normally end a nominee’s chances but this won’t even get a ripple in the news and be barely mentioned in MSM as it’s just another day in Trump world…

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â