U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, GrootVilla said:

I'm becoming concerned that Trump is clawing back and could get back into the White House.

Yeah, me too.   Who would have thought that what he needed to do to regain the momentum was to act even crazier.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Yeah, me too.   Who would have thought that what he needed to do to regain the momentum was to act even crazier.

Going to Minnesota next week. If my wife was gonna be with me I would think hard about heading north and not coming back 🙄

8 hours ago, Davkaus said:

So how this went in my head was I read a brief article on my phone, saw your post and thought' oh, maybe I got it wrong'. Hours later I'm watching videos and thinking: hang on, ok, if it's a brief thing, ok whatever, but what kind of lunatic stands up there and dances to music for 40 minutes while there's a medical emergency unfolding :D 

now-were-talking-gary.gif

Everyone has their share of crazies, but to think the US potentially has enough to elect a dangerous mad man as leader is of real concern. 

It just shouldn’t be a concern, like being genuinely worried Tommy Robinson might become PM here. 

Edited by Genie

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

Everyone has their share of crazies, but to think the US potentially has enough to elect a dangerous mad man as leader is of real concern. 

I thought Harris was a woman ?

but , joking apart  ....Nixon openly thrived on being the mad man of foreign policy , he argued it kept his enemies on their guard to think he was crazy enough to do something like start a nuclear war  , he is supposed to have been influenced by observing Eisenhower at work ...

I suspect Trump might argue that this is what he trying to pull off ...  but then again he is totally bat shit crazy and egotistical so he might not be 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

I reckon there are many more like him looming around, and I suspect the general atmosphere there for FEMA workers is pretty frosty.

And even if it was just one guy, a few dozen bullets can do a lot of damage to an unarmed disaster relief convoy.

Ironically Trump last week said that FEMA was being underfunded because so much money was being gifted to illegal immigrants instead and hampering the recovery efforts.  Kamala had to come out and say that it isn't true to encourage people to apply for the support that is actually there for them.  The man is so **** dangerous it's untrue.

10 hours ago, Genie said:

It just shouldn’t be a concern, like being genuinely worried Tommy Robinson might become PM here. 

You know, a long time ago being crazy meant something. Nowadays everybody's crazy

Charles Manson 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Genie said:

It just shouldn’t be a concern, like being genuinely worried Tommy Robinson might become PM here

Dunno about Tommy Robinson or that it's necessarily crazies in America 

My bigger concern would be that he effectively bought it, maybe it in a way sums America up, they spent $14bn on the 2020 campaigns, it's a depressing number 

I'd hate to think that the UK one day becomes that, don't get me wrong it's hardly a working class council house background job but at the same time we don't have bored billionaires with little dick energy thinking **** it I'll go be prime minister,

I'd be concerned when Richard Branson runs for office rather than our Tommy 

• Like 1

Biden envoy told aid groups Israel too close an ally for US to suspend arms

Attendees of the late August meeting with Lise Grande said her remarks were surprisingly candid, shocking many in the room.

The top U.S. official working on the humanitarian situation in Gaza told aid groups in August that the U.S. would not consider withholding weapons from Israel for blocking food and medicine from entering the enclave — a rare admission by someone in the administration.

At the Aug. 29 meeting in Washington, Lise Grande told the leaders of more than a dozen aid organizations that the U.S. could potentially consider other tactics to convince Israel to allow life-saving aid into Gaza — such as applying pressure through the United Nations, but stressed that the administration would continue to support Israel and would not delay or stop weapons shipments.

That account is based on conversations with three people in the meeting and two others who were briefed on it, along with a set of detailed notes from the encounter reviewed by POLITICO. The people were granted anonymity in order to speak more freely about Grande’s assessment and because they feared their organizations’ work might be further interrupted in Gaza.

A humanitarian aid official who attended the meeting said Grande noted that Israel is one in a “tight circle of very few allies” that the U.S. will not oppose, nor will it “hold anything back that they want.”

“She was sort of saying, with certain allies, we can’t play bad cop,” the aid official said.

While Grande’s statements were made more than a month ago, her candid assessment of the odds of the U.S. taking action on weapons for Israel raises questions about the seriousness of recent Biden administration threats to do just that.

On Sunday, Secretary of State Antony Blinken and Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin sent a letter to Israel in which they threatened to withhold weapons to Israel if it does not drastically improve the humanitarian situation in Gaza. The administration is giving Israel 30 days to correct course.

When reporters pressed the administration on Monday as to why the ultimatum to Israel in Sunday’s letter included a grace period, State Department spokesperson Matthew Miller said: “We believe it’s appropriate to give them a chance to cure the problem.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/10/16/biden-israel-arms-aid-00184028

On 15/10/2024 at 23:19, GrootVilla said:

I'm becoming concerned that Trump is clawing back and could get back into the White House.

If you look at the betting markets he's going to win comfortably. However I don't know what the betting is really based on as I don't follow US politics closely. 

FWIW I think trump will win. Alot of people won't vote for a black woman once they get in an anonymous polling booth. Just like in the UK where people say in polls they won't vote Tory but get in a booth and it's a blue tick. 

Edited by villa89

27 minutes ago, villa89 said:

If you look at the betting markets he's going to win comfortably. However I don't know what the betting is really based on as I don't follow US politics closely. 

FWIW I think trump will win. Alot of people won't vote for a black woman once they get in an anonymous polling booth. Just like in the UK where people say in polls they won't vote Tory but get in a booth and it's a blue tick. 

This popped up on my timeline this morning and does a good job looking at Trump's "comeback" if we can call it that

On 16/10/2024 at 03:54, tonyh29 said:

Nixon openly thrived on being the mad man of foreign policy , he argued it kept his enemies on their guard

On 16/10/2024 at 03:54, tonyh29 said:

I suspect Trump might argue that this is what he trying to pull off

Not a chance that Trump is in any way referencing historical precedence.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â