U.S. Politics

maqroll

6 hours ago, El Zen said:

While I largely agree on public education in America, and a Trump win is both possible and would be indicative of the failings of the American education system, the bolded bit is a stretch. 

It is highly unlikely Trump wins the popular vote at all, and under no circumstances will ‘most Americans’ vote for him. 

And any statement about ‘most Americans’ doing or being anything is just almost certainly going to be a generalisation anyway. Many, sure, but not most. 

You make the faulty assumption that Harris voters are knowledgeable people, just because they don’t vote for the insane candidate.  The reality is that most Harris voters also are a product of the same highly lacking education system. 

31 minutes ago, viivvaa66 said:

You make the faulty assumption that Harris voters are knowledgeable people, just because they don’t vote for the insane candidate.  The reality is that most Harris voters also are a product of the same highly lacking education system. 

Where did I do that, then? 

And, to be fair, many Harris voters are knowledgable people. Millions and millions of Americans are. 

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

People need to be talking more about this. 

image.png

Exactly. It's time for some honesty. So disturbing. My dad is an immigrant to America, and now that I think about it, he was always asking about us getting a second wire-haired fox terrier. My mum said no. Dad said he "just liked" terriers. Sure. So, you see, this thing goes deep.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Here is a view from a swing voter in Pennsylvania. These are the people Harris needs to win over with economic policy. 

Yes and no.  She voted for Trump in ‘16 and ‘20.  In general, it’s not so much those voters she needs to win over as the ones who voted for Biden in ‘20 and turned undecided or leaning toward Trump or were thinking of siting this one out, plus first time voters.   I imagine Tay-Tay’s endorsement will help a little with the latter.

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

He once again made the claim that millions of people are pouring into the country from prisons, and from insane asylums.

I'm still convinced that he thinks asylum seekers are people who've been in a mental health institution.

Reminds me of this

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I get it, we’re easy targets. Nonetheless, that will probably be the stupidest thing I will read all day 

The irony of making sweeping statements about the ignorance of an entire country of 350m+ people being a bit, well, ignorant seems to be lost on some 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

Reading about the debate it’s striking that all the discussion and focus is on Trump again. 

Harris has not really inspired people with policies they are motivated by and talking about.  Her main feature is basically that she is not Trump and that she would represent a historic milestone as the first female president.

That feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but maybe her campaign will get better at promoting policy positions as the weeks go on?

She literally spent her first 8 minutes of the debate detailing a load of policy positions. From economics to taxation, to abortion rights, she covered it all and in as much detail as can be achieved in that format. She then returned to her headline policies consistently through the debate, in between winding up Trump. It's hard to imagine how anyone could have actually watched the debate and still not understand what she is proposing. 

Yes Trump said crazy shit and that will grab the headlines, but any serious analysis I have read gives her good credit for getting her message out.

• Like 2

Wonder how "migrants eat our pets" compares to the number of pets that gets eaten or killed by your average hillbilly, redneck or Florida man. Or even just people outside the system who have to take whatever they can to survive.

If you create a dog eat dog system there's bound to be some dogs eaten...

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This guy actually went down to Springfield Ohio and spent some time chatting to the local people.

You have to wonder where to begin with all this. 

So it turns out the video of the woman accused of (and quite possibly guilty of) eating a cat is not from Springfield but from Canton.   She is not Haitian and was first arrested in 2011, so is almost ceratinly an American citizen.   She has apparently pled not guilty by reason of insanity.   So a mentally ill American woman from a town 100 miles away who may have killed and eaten a cat is offered up as proof that it's a common occurrence that Haitian immigrants (and by insinuation all other asylum seekers and immigrants) are killing and eating people's pets and your town could be next.  And this guy and commenters on his tweet are slamming the MSM for not "investigating" the story when he's using a bogus incident and people talking about rumors that they've heard (including the cat-eating woman) as evidence .  Not to mention that the totally bogus implication that a veteran's financial benefits are somehow affected by resources provided to the immigrants.  There are a number of other claims in this video by people who obviously hate the Haitians that I found pretty difficult to believe off the bat at face value and even more difficult to believe given the evidence that this guy is obviously playing fast and loose with reality and presenting it as "journalism".   People  being kicked out of homes so they can be given to immigrants to live in?  There's no legal basis for doing that, and unless there's some crazy evil conspiracy by the local government- elected by the citizens, not the Haitian immigrants- to f*ck over their own constituents, there's no way that's a thing that's happening the way they say it is.

I understand that an influx of 20,000 people to a city of 60,000 is going to have a big impact on the place and it's citizens even if they were all native born Ohioans, let alone if they're from another country with a different culture and language.   It's natural for people to be upset about that, and whether that's a good idea and how to handle it is a topic that's rightfully up for debate.   But don't take advantage of people's discontent and feed them bullsh*t stories to get them to help your political argument.  The people trying to generate outrage don't give a sh*t about these people.   They're just trying to score points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

So it turns out the video of the woman accused of (and quite possibly guilty of) eating a cat is not from Springfield but from Canton.   She is not Haitian and was first arrested in 2011, so is almost ceratinly an American citizen.   She has apparently pled not guilty by reason of insanity.   So a mentally ill American woman from a town 100 miles away who may have killed and eaten a cat is offered up as proof that it's a common occurrence that Haitian immigrants (and by insinuation all other asylum seekers and immigrants) are killing and eating people's pets and your town could be next.  And this guy and commenters on his tweet are slamming the MSM for not "investigating" the story when he's using a bogus incident and people talking about rumors that they've heard (including the cat-eating woman) as evidence .  Not to mention that the totally bogus implication that a veteran's financial benefits are somehow affected by resources provided to the immigrants.  There are a number of other claims in this video by people who obviously hate the Haitians that I found pretty difficult to believe off the bat at face value and even more difficult to believe given the evidence that this guy is obviously playing fast and loose with reality and presenting it as "journalism".   People  being kicked out of homes so they can be given to immigrants to live in?  There's no legal basis for doing that, and unless there's some crazy evil conspiracy by the local government- elected by the citizens, not the Haitian immigrants- to f*ck over their own constituents, there's no way that's a thing that's happening the way they say it is.

I understand that an influx of 20,000 people to a city of 60,000 is going to have a big impact on the place and it's citizens even if they were all native born Ohioans, let alone if they're from another country with a different culture and language.   It's natural for people to be upset about that, and whether that's a good idea and how to handle it is a topic that's rightfully up for debate.   But don't take advantage of people's discontent and feed them bullsh*t stories to get them to help your political argument.  The people trying to generate outrage don't give a sh*t about these people.   They're just trying to score points.

I don’t think the interviewer did too much wrong at face value. He just asked a bunch of questions and let the locals hang themselves with their own ignorance and prejudices. 

It’s difficult to know how representative of a place these types of vox pop interviews are (most model citizens are probably busy at work and not wandering the streets) but it was obviously not difficult for him to find a lot of anger, resentment and grievances from a lot of the local people about their lot in life. 

I also found it pretty striking that the Haitian’s he spoke to typically had jobs and some mentioned the welfare benefits they had received stopped once they started working. Then you had the angry locals who were standing on their porch in the middle of the day complaining that it’s not possible to get a job anymore. I can see why those people are unemployable and a new migrant who doesn’t even speak the language is a better prospect for a potential employer. 

It’s difficult to know where to start with making things better in a place like that though and there are a lot of places like that in important swing states. 

11 hours ago, LondonLax said:

This guy actually went down to Springfield Ohio and spent some time chatting to the local people.

You have to wonder where to begin with all this. 

It reminds me of what was being said in Tamworth about the migrants. It’s all hearsay “they sit outside the hotel antagonising people”, “they are robbing people and when you call the police they aren’t interested” or the popular one “they are taking pictures of the little kids on the park”. I go to the snowdome (next door to the hotel) twice a week and have NEVER once seen any migrants ever. I never seen any of them in the castle grounds. I genuinely wouldn’t know they were in the hotel if it wasn’t for social media.

It seems like a similar phenomenon in Ohio, it’s all rumour but they believe it like it’s gospel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

I don’t think the interviewer did too much wrong at face value. He just asked a bunch of questions and let the locals hang themselves with their own ignorance and prejudices. 

It’s difficult to know how representative of a place these types of vox pop interviews are (most model citizens are probably busy at work and not wandering the streets) but it was obviously not difficult for him to find a lot of anger, resentment and grievances from a lot of the local people about their lot in life. 

I also found it pretty striking that the Haitian’s he spoke to typically had jobs and some mentioned the welfare benefits they had received stopped once they started working. Then you had the angry locals who were standing on their porch in the middle of the day complaining that it’s not possible to get a job anymore. I can see why those people are unemployable and a new migrant who doesn’t even speak the language is a better prospect for a potential employer. 

It’s difficult to know where to start with making things better in a place like that though and there are a lot of places like that in important swing states. 

I disagree.  The fact that he put in that video of the crazy woman from Canton and implied she was a Haitian immigrant in Springfield says it all.  He was clearly going there trying to get footage to convince people open to believing the pet-eating bullshit that it was true while presenting himself as just some curious guy after the truth while painting the MSM as negligent or actively trying to hide the truth.  I have every reason to believe that he fed bullshit lies to his interviewees to get them riled up and eager to repeat rumors they'd heard and state them as fact.

Propagating the "fake news" myth about real journalists while he is the real fake news.  He's a shining example of everything that's wrong about MAGA land.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â