U.S. Politics

maqroll

Reading about the debate it’s striking that all the discussion and focus is on Trump again. 

Harris has not really inspired people with policies they are motivated by and talking about.  Her main feature is basically that she is not Trump and that she would represent a historic milestone as the first female president.

That feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but maybe her campaign will get better at promoting policy positions as the weeks go on?

18 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

That feels a bit like a missed opportunity, but maybe her campaign will get better at promoting policy positions as the weeks go on?

It feels a bit like Starmer versus the Tories, just being not them and avoiding a scandal is probably going to be enough.

Going light on policy that can get torn apart is probably the way to go.

5 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Dunno about this. It's like when Carlsberg sponsored Liverpool - for every Liverpool fan than drank the stuff, how many petty-minded fans of other clubs boycotted it? 

Like all pop stars, Swift polarises opinion - for every fan there is a hater. And her fanbase seems to be mainly young girls who would love to support whoever she endorses - but aren't old enough to vote. Although I guess their middle aged moms might be a potential pool of voters. 

She endorsed . Phil Bredesen, in 2018 in the senate  race … he lost  , but I don’t know if he was always going to lose and if Swift made it a closer run thing etc

and of course she endorsed Biden last time out , again I don’t know to what effect , I think Covid and the economy did for Trump more than Taylor Swift did 

but tbh , anyone that votes for a president because a pop star (or celeb ) tells them to , should be denied the vote automatically .

when I came home from London the night of one of her gigs most of the people we saw and spoke to on the train were university student age so I guess her fan base is growing up with her ? 

Edited by tonyh29

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

It feels a bit like Starmer versus the Tories, just being not them and avoiding a scandal is probably going to be enough.

Going light on policy that can get torn apart is probably the way to go.

That could be true because supposedly her campaign team have been taking some advice from the U.K. Labour campaign team, but I think that it is a risky strategy to copy.

In the U.K. election the voters were fed up with the state of things and looking to turf out the incumbent, so Labour kept themselves a small target.

In the US Harris is the incumbent. If voters are fed up and looking for change she needs to articulate how things will change with her staying in the White House. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Here is a view from a swing voter in Pennsylvania. These are the people Harris needs to win over with economic policy. 

The economy was in a good place coming out of the Obama administration, it's difficult or impossible to change an economy like the US in 4 years, policy changes take years to kick in.

That's a difficult thing to enunciate to voters, not something either side wants to explain.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The economy was in a good place coming out of the Obama administration, it's difficult or impossible to change an economy like the US in 4 years, policy changes take years to kick in.

That's a difficult thing to enunciate to voters, not something either side wants to explain.

And the whole world has been in the toilet the last 5 years, it's nothing to do with Bidens policies, she'd have seen a big decline under Trump too. They just can't see beyond their own front door it the problem. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And the whole world has been in the toilet the last 5 years, it's nothing to do with Bidens policies, she'd have seen a big decline under Trump too. They just can't see beyond their own front door it the problem. 

The man has pretty much openly acted like/had the rhetoric of a despot. Life isn't much fun under them.  The Russians probably loved Putin when he first took over and look what's happened there to people's rights and quality of life.  I don't think enough Americans realise what's in front of them.

7 hours ago, il_serpente said:

Trump now claiming that immigrants eating people's pets.

6 hours ago, il_serpente said:

"She wants to do transgender sex change operations on illegal immigrants."

tom-delonge-blink182.gif

6 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Apparently she’s going kill everyone in the Middle East 🤷‍♂️

This guy has already been president, and there's a decent chance he will be again :D

**** hell, United States.

13 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

IMG_7030.thumb.jpeg.a02bef5be3108791be78eed1ce14559f.jpeg

I just watched the clip, the host tries to tell him that this claim was investigated by the local police and no evidence was found to support the claim. Donald keeps trying to interject by saying he saw it on the TV :lol: 

• Like 1

If there's one thing Swifties know how to do and that is to bore the pants off their family members by repeating the same Swift facts until you cave in and accept them. They are also good organisers. I'd say the Swift endorsement won't make all the difference, but it will make some difference, it's like extra democratic advertising right in the centre of the home. 

That's actually one of the most coherent quotes I've read from Trump in recent months. The content is absolute batshit, but for the most part, he's using sentences.

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I just watched the clip, the host tries to tell him that this claim was investigated by the local police and no evidence was found to support the claim. Donald keeps trying to interject by saying he saw it on the TV :lol: 

As batshit as it sounds there’s probably some foundation of truth. I remember UK news some years back around people (immigrants from memory, though could be wrong) killing and eating swans in London.

I don’t doubt it’s happened, maybe once or twice but as ever, once it leaves Trump’s mouth it becomes tainted and unbelievable.

Edited by bannedfromHandV

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

He once again made the claim that millions of people are pouring into the country from prisons, and from insane asylums.

I'm still convinced that he thinks asylum seekers are people who've been in a mental health institution.

I’ve never thought that before but it makes a lot of sense, nobody has had the courage to correct him. 

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I’ve never thought that before but it makes a lot of sense, nobody has had the courage to correct him. 

Even if they did, he doesn't have the brain power to comprehend that he might be wrong about something. In his world everything he says is a fact. 

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â