U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, magnkarl said:

If a moderate republican watches this ad and still votes Trump America is ¤"#% in November.

thats-not.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

If a moderate republican watches this ad and still votes Trump America is ¤"#% in November.

FWIW

I don’t think this matters all that much. MAGA deeply hate Bush, McCain, & Romney and will see this as a badge of honor, while a big chunk of the old school Republican demographic will probably not vote at all. I hope I am 100% wrong about the latter 🤞

The mask is off ... or rather, the mask over the previous mask is off. At least we all know where he stands now, right up the arse of the right along with Musk, Durov, Thiel, and the whole techo-authoritarian right.

Meta boss Mark Zuckerberg says he regrets bowing to what he calls pressure from the Biden administration to "censor" content on Facebook and Instagram during the coronavirus pandemic.

In a letter sent to a US House committee chair, he said some material – including humour and satire – was taken down in 2021 under pressure from senior officials.

The White House has defended its actions, saying it encouraged "responsible actions to protect public health and safety".

Mr Zuckerberg also said his firm briefly "demoted" content relating to Joe Biden's son, Hunter, ahead of the 2020 election, after the FBI warned of "a potential Russian disinformation" operation.

It later became clear that this content was not part of such an operation, Mr Zuckerberg said, and it should not have been temporarily taken down.

Mr Zuckerberg did not give further detail about the actions he regretted during the pandemic. At that time, his business removed posts for a variety of reasons.

Mr Zuckerberg said the decisions made were the decisions of his business, but that the “government pressure was wrong”.

He continued: "We made some choices that, with the benefit of hindsight and new information, we wouldn't make today."

Mr Zuckerberg said he and Meta would be ready to "push back" if something similar happened in the future.

16 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

FWIW

I don’t think this matters all that much. MAGA deeply hate Bush, McCain, & Romney and will see this as a badge of honor, while a big chunk of the old school Republican demographic will probably not vote at all. I hope I am 100% wrong about the latter 🤞

From the MAGA perspective it is a choice between the establishment politicians who don’t change anything of consequence regardless of whether they are wearing a blue or a red tie and a political outsider who is willing to shake things up.

Interestingly enough if you go over to the Labour Party thread on VillaTalk and you will see plenty of comments claiming UK Labour are no different to the Tories as well.

I also find it interesting that Trump has supporters with traditionally ‘left’ opinions who claim that the likes of Bush and McCain (and establishment Democrats like Obama Biden or the Clintons) worked not for the people but for donors from the US industrial military complex, promoting forever wars to keep Lockheed Martin and Raytheon in contracts. 

It’s notable that Tulsi Gabbard has joined Trump’s campaign as she embodies many of those cynical left voters. 

Edited by LondonLax
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I nearly spat out my lunch when watching BBC news today when they said Trump's alleged attempts to overturn the us election. Alleged? Excuse me?

Not been tried in court yet, hence alleged

On 28/08/2024 at 08:35, LondonLax said:

From the MAGA perspective it is a choice between the establishment politicians who don’t change anything of consequence regardless of whether they are wearing a blue or a red tie and a political outsider who is willing to shake things up.

Interestingly enough if you go over to the Labour Party thread on VillaTalk and you will see plenty of comments claiming UK Labour are no different to the Tories as well.

I also find it interesting that Trump has supporters with traditionally ‘left’ opinions who claim that the likes of Bush and McCain (and establishment Democrats like Obama Biden or the Clintons) worked not for the people but for donors from the US industrial military complex, promoting forever wars to keep Lockheed Martin and Raytheon in contracts. 

It’s notable that Tulsi Gabbard has joined Trump’s campaign as she embodies many of those cynical left voters. 

While I get all that and it makes sense, they’ve then turned to Trump as their prophet.  If it was somebody with integrity, really going to change things for the betterment of the people and not the corporate/special interests then it makes sense but it’s not, it’s Trump whose ideas are even less than the current status quo in terms of doing it for the people. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Yeah I saw this, I didn’t know if it could be posted on here. AI is crazy in what it can do already and this is wild!

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Yeah I saw this, I didn’t know if it could be posted on here. AI is crazy in what it can do already and this is wild!

I feel like it could probably be done more convincingly by a dedicated movie studio with a big budget but it is the accessibility of it that is interesting. It will keep improving rapidly as well. 

• Like 1

US politicians don't half like pointing out familiar people in the crowd don't they. It's compulsory to stroll out pointing and smiling and people. 

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

US politicians don't half like pointing out familiar people in the crowd don't they. It's compulsory to stroll out pointing and smiling and people. 

It’s a rock star thing originally. It was just as fake when rock stars used to do it.

I'm pretty sure it's that if you're the focus of the attention of a crowd but not actually doing anything apart from being there, you can't just stand still because you look really weird.

So you need to find different things to do once waving has run it's course, and pointing is the next logical thing.

Edited by ml1dch
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Thought this would be full of comments on her performance last night. How did she do? 

Heavily edited and around 15 mins from 45 minutes. Effectively just a tee'd up commercial.

Republicans claiming it was a disaster. Democrats claiming it was amazing. Usual stuff.

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

Heavily edited and around 15 mins from 45 minutes. Effectively just a tee'd up commercial.

Republicans claiming it was a disaster. Democrats claiming it was amazing. Usual stuff.

How do you "heavily edit" a live broadcast? (I haven't seen it yet,)

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â