U.S. Politics

maqroll

11 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Is Biden still the man he was? No absolutely not. Is he still a capable politician who would perform better as a president than Trump? Absolutely yes.

As much as I despise Donald Trump I have to disagree, Biden often doesn’t know what day of the week it is. I thought he’d be ok tbh but some of his more recent errors are alarming for someone with so much power.

48 minutes ago, Genie said:

As much as I despise Donald Trump I have to disagree, Biden often doesn’t know what day of the week it is. I thought he’d be ok tbh but some of his more recent errors are alarming for someone with so much power.

Can’t agree, even a 50% Biden would be a better President than Trump. Trumps interest in the presidency isn’t for the betterment of the USA but for his own self interests and his allies.  He therefore wouldn’t be a better president he would just function better in that office than Biden, just the functioning he would be doing is not that of what the President should be doing whereas Biden would be doing it solely for the betterment of the USA.

• Like 4

On 19/08/2024 at 07:31, Genie said:

Has Trump started suggesting the election is rigged yet? That’ll be the first tell tale sign he isn’t confident.

17 hours ago, Hobsons Choice said:

Worth pointing out that Trump now is older than Biden was when he took office. 

I still can't fathom, that 3 months ago the leadership contest for the free world was a popularity content between 2 people I wouldn't trust with car keys.

• Like 3

That pair of Obama speeches last night. Trump must be reeling. 

Barack is such a gifted orator, and Michelle likely held the speech of the convention.

Edited by magnkarl
  • Like 4

33 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Barack is such a gifted orator, and Michelle likely held the speech of the convention.

Michelle Obama is an incredible speaker. How many other “first lady’s” (ex or present) could speak like that? She’d wipe the floor with most world leaders.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

What a speech. Aspirational, barbed without being crass, motivational. Just excellent.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

It's all very well but they're talking to the converted.  What counts is how it plays with the floating voters in the swing states.  No amount of standing ovations at the Democratic conference amounts to anything till you hear from them.

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's all very well but they're talking to the converted.  What counts is how it plays with the floating voters in the swing states.  No amount of standing ovations at the Democratic conference amounts to anything till you hear from them.

That's where people spreading it, or sections of it on social media (forums like this for example) come in. Floaters might not be avidly watching the DNC, but they might just pick something up elsewhere, and it might just resonate. That's how the Republicans have been dissemination their message, through channels like X.

36 minutes ago, Hobsons Choice said:

What a speech. Aspirational, barbed without being crass, motivational. Just excellent.

The MAGAs insist she's a man. 

On 20/08/2024 at 00:21, TheAuthority said:

I've watched a lot of rallies and political conventions over the years and of course they are very partisan. But I don't think I've ever seen a reception like Biden just received. It seemed to go on for ever. I am the biggest cynic but it really seemed very emotional.

He went on to speak the most harshly he ever has about the Israel war on Gaza. Everyone can agree his debate performance was abysmal but this was an absolutely barnstorming speech.

And a final thought is: All policy debates aside, this man had his wife and youngest daughter introduce him in the most loving and inspirational way. Trump's wife won't even hold his hand at photo ops FFS. How can anyone believe that the orange idiot is a human with any quality whatsoever.

The DNC so far really has been unfathomable for me. 

Where is the Democratic Party that is constantly waging war against itself? Eating its own tail to spite the US despite being the better option most of the time? Where is the loathing and the fear of offending anyone? Where is the tepid applause for anyone without an Obama surname?

I don’t know where this leads in November and how much to believe in polling but there hasn’t been this level of united enthusiasm for the Democratic Party since Obama ‘08 and Clinton ‘96. 16 and 28 years apart - that’s how infrequent this sort of collective applause happens. 

It’s hard for me, as a cynic, to believe that it will really translate into a comeback win in November but it’s also difficult not to believe what I see with my own eyes now. 

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

That's why stuff like this going on at Fox is ultimately so important:

Jump past the commentary. Tarlov is a brilliant host, she keeps dismantling the MAGA loons live on Fox almost every day. No idea why she still has a job there.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

It’s not about convincing those in the building, it’s about getting those people sufficiently inspired and fired up so they will head out and become the volunteer army of foot soldiers required to spread a campaign message. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

The DNC so far really has been unfathomable for me. 

Where is the Democratic Party that is constantly waging war against itself? Eating its own tail to spite the US despite being the better option most of the time? Where is the loathing and the fear of offending anyone? Where is the tepid applause for anyone without an Obama surname?

I don’t know where this leads in November and how much to believe in polling but there hasn’t been this level of united enthusiasm for the Democratic Party since Obama ‘08 and Clinton ‘96. 16 and 36 years apart - that’s how infrequent this sort of collective applause happens. 

It’s hard for me, as a cynic, to believe that it will really translate into a comeback win in November but it’s also difficult not to believe what I see with my own eyes now. 

I genuinely think Biden trying to stick it out for weeks after it became patently obvious him staying on was untenable was one of the greatest (accidental) political masterstrokes in recent memory.

There’s no way the Democrats would have been this unified if he’d stepped down a year ago and they’d run an open primary.

• Like 2

What makes me laugh is the Maga lot were saying he needs to step down and isn't capable now say it was a coup and he should have stayed on 😅

2 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

I genuinely think Biden trying to stick it out for weeks after it became patently obvious him staying on was untenable was one of the greatest (accidental) political masterstrokes in recent memory.

There’s no way the Democrats would have been this unified if he’d stepped down a year ago and they’d run an open primary.

It also indicates that maybe you don't need a 18 month election campaign, the main reason is to see who can raise the most amount in donations.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â