U.S. Politics

maqroll

10 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is he a good pick then?  It means nothing to me.  Waiting for some Americans to educate me.

Trying to work out if there's a Walz/Vienna joke in here somewhere...🤔

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Trying to work out if there's a Walz/Vienna joke in here somewhere...🤔

If you break through the Thin Wall you might find one.

• Like 1

He is a good pick in the sense that he again falls under the normal person continuum. He is…another normal person who flipped a down the middle district to win his seat as Congressmen, has effectively governed Minnesota, has enforced many progressive policies. 

And again - a normal person. Another pick that blunts the Republican attack of Democratic elitism. Whereas Hillary and Biden were bogged down by name recognition and decades of history, Harris and Walz are unencumbered by this history. 

It is strange that the Democrats have made a string of right decisions. A party with a long history of blowing themselves up have about as solid of a ticket as you can make - one the pleases progressives, moderates, and independents. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, magnkarl said:

He wasn't a successful president at all, the only positive you can glean from the stats is that he got the unemployment down which was natural after covid, but it got to nowhere near the levels it is at now.

Increased the national debt by trillions of dollars.

Had more net immigration than Biden's had when the borders weren't shut due to covid.

One of the highest covid death rates in the world.

The horrid attempts at getting peace in the ME with the Abraham accords which only increased Bibi's power.

Backing up neo nazi groups and essentially emboldening police to be the worst they'd been in years when it came to racial violence.

The people who think he was a good president have essentially been swallowed up by MAGA-rhetoric.

In short, the people who think he was a good president are morons 

• Like 2

Looks like a great pick. Trump calling him a left wing extremist - that's always been Trump's problem, he's far too predictable and this guy is demonstrably not a left wing extremist. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Is he a good pick then?  It means nothing to me.  Waiting for some Americans to educate me.

Me too. I know who he is, obviously, but he puts the low in low-profile. Then again, your standard VP candidates typically aren’t famous to begin with

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Looks like a great pick. Trump calling him a left wing extremist - that's always been Trump's problem, he's far too predictable and this guy is demonstrably not a left wing extremist. 

Over/under on how long before Trump calls him Tim Balz? 🙄

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Is he a good pick then?  It means nothing to me.  

Based on this video alone, I like what he has to say. 

• Like 1

What I find still shockingly hilarious is that the Republicans have, since probably 2015 - been winning the populist messaging war and painting the Democrats as the out of touch elite. 

And this ticket - Harris/Walz - two quintessential American stories, one the daughter of two immigrants who grew up in California and married a Brooklyn Jew, and the other, born in Nebraska on a farm who became a veteran and a teacher - are about as normal upbringing as they come. 

Compared to gold toilet Trump and Ivy League thrice name changer JD Vance, it is a striking contrast that I think is contributing to the rising polls of Harris/Walz. 

Normal vs Weird.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bobzy said:

From memory, unemployment fell under Trump. I think that’s about it?

It was falling under the Obama administration after it peaked in the 2008 crash. it continued to fall under Trump's administration. Admittedly to fairly low levels.

here's a piece I wrote about it a while back.

Quite often we hear it said under Trump’s regimen, the black unemployment rate is the lowest it has been. Based on the data below this is an accurate statement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

What I find still shockingly hilarious is that the Republicans have, since probably 2015 - been winning the populist messaging war and painting the Democrats as the out of touch elite. 

And this ticket - Harris/Walz - two quintessential American stories, one the daughter of two immigrants who grew up in California and married a Brooklyn Jew, and the other, born in Nebraska on a farm who became a veteran and a teacher - are about as normal upbringing as they come. 

Compared to gold toilet Trump and Ivy League thrice name changer JD Vance, it is a striking contrast that I think is contributing to the rising polls of Harris/Walz. 

Normal vs Weird.

It’s the same as them spinning the Connecticut Ivy League Bush dynasty as rough & tumble Texans 🙄 

39 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Normal vs Weird.

It's a bit like some of the conversations we've seen on here today.

Despite the narrative standing up to zero scrutiny, and being clearly and very obviously incorrect, people have just completely made up minds and refuse to acknowledge the obvious truths. 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Normal vs Weird.

It’s the same in the UK and other western societies.

The working class in Britain feel that Etonian Boris Johnson represents them better than any Labour Party candidate.

The fault line today is protectionist nativist vs free market globalisation, not the old divide you are considering.

These days the right are pushing the nationalist protectionist line and the left are all for open international markets, including movement of people. 

• Like 1

Harris hasn't put a foot wrong yet.

Great pick, Walz is a very likeable candidate. 

Great speech tonight.

• Like 2

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â