U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Do you really, truly believe that? My take on politics in my country is extremely cynical and pessimistic, and I have zero issue acknowledging how massively screwed up it is here, yet I’m still gonna call hyperbole on this. If you said “some would kill each other if they could” I would agree 

I didn't say all would, but I don't think there would be hesitation to start a violent civil war.

7 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I didn't say all would, but I don't think there would be hesitation to start a violent civil war.

Absolutely true that some people are itching for violence, but it’s not in large numbers, despite what we’re told. And I do think there would be plenty of hesitation from all sides. I know a lot of people inside and especially outside of this country are itching to see this civil war happen, but that isn’t enough to make it so. 

Trump could have put a white hood on and his cult would still defend him.

He's said plenty of horrific things over the years, this won't change a thing sadly.

1 minute ago, bannedfromHandV said:

90% of what comes out of his mouth is utter crap, and the other 10% is just vicious.

It will have no bearing on his support because frankly, to be a Trump supporter you have to be a total and utter moron to begin with.

Unfortunately, and whilst I agree with you, 30%+ of 250m voting age people are morons.

• Like 1

I'm not a yank obviously, but if I were I'd have thought the most notable difference between the candidates is that one is repeating the past and the other is about the future. This was not so with Biden. And Trump's not capable of finessing his offer, if he were smart enough he could have shut the dems out already. No idea if it'll be enough come election day, but looks like only one side is going to enthuse swing voters and at this rate it ain't Donald.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

I still can't get my head around the fact that there can even be any swing voters when one of the options is Trump. 

Might have called them undecided voters - fine margins in those swing states.

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Has is actually made any waves in America or just washed over them as anything else nuts Trump does seems to happen. 

Yes, but if you are living in a self-imposed media bubble like most Trump worshipers, you probably either didn't hear about it at all or it was spun to make Trump look like a victim who was bravely standing up for America against a hostile woke crowd of fake news mongers.

• Like 1

Just now, maqroll said:

Yes, but if you are living in a self-imposed media bubble like most Trump worshipers, you probably either didn't hear about it at all or it was spun to make Trump look like a victim who was bravely standing up for America against a hostile woke crowd of fake news mongers.

I'm not really interested in the Trump cult followers. At this stage the floaters are the only ones who need to hear and be affected by this kind of stuff. 

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I still can't get my head around the fact that there can even be any swing voters when one of the options is Trump. 

There are millions of Americans who only vote in presidential elections, and how they vote is based entirely on superficial criteria unrelated to policy or ideology. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

to be a Trump supporter you have to be a total and utter moron to begin with.

I think this is true for a lot of his supporters. They like Trump's accessible use of language and his bad manners. Others are reasonably smart but have been bamboozled by propaganda. Both of which are concerning. But much, much more concerning is the minority of his supporters who aren't morons, haven't been bamboozled, but view Trump as a useful tool they  can use to snuff out the flickering flame of multiracial democracy here once and for all. But somehow, even more frightening in a way are the people who see Trump for exactly what he is, personally despise him, recognize the danger he poses to the country (and world), but get in front of a camera every night and tell Americans that there will be a thousand years of darkness if he loses the election.

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

to be a Trump supporter you have to be a total and utter moron to begin with.

This is not true at least for the Americans I come across. The ones I meet are educated and decent folk. But they have become polarized by the rhetoric and issues like abortion, law and order. Understandably there is a fear of losing their white culture. Then there is the way DEI is being rolled out. 

Take Hilary's faux pas of calling half of Republican supporters deplorable. A prospective US President calling 20% of the US electorate deplorable. That won't go down well. The US President has to be in some shape or form pulling for the whole population.

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

This is not true at least for the Americans I come across. The ones I meet are educated and decent folk. But they have become polarized by the rhetoric and issues like abortion, law and order. Understandably there is a fear of losing their white culture. Then there is the way DEI is being rolled out. 

Take Hilary's faux pas of calling half of Republican supporters deplorable. A prospective US President calling 20% of the US electorate deplorable. That won't go down well. The US President has to be in some shape or form pulling for the whole population.

Oh, and Trump is pulling for the whole population? Oh and Trump on 6 January was the law and order candidate was he?

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Oh, and Trump is pulling for the whole population? Oh and Trump on 6 January was the law and order candidate was he?

Are you implying I think he is?

11 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I'm not sure what you mean by the bolded part.  DEI isn't a "thing" that was suddenly thought up and rolled out.  It's an acronym, that happened to be adopted pretty universally over time, for a process that's been going on for years:  discontinuing the inherent bias toward hiring white males in order for the work force/government, etc. look more like a cross section of the population.   Until MAGA, this was noncontroversial and supported by Republicans as well as Democrats.  What has been rolled out is the use of the term by the right as a convenient dog whistle to allow them to protest the loss of white male privelege without saying it out loud.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Are you implying I think he is?

No you were talking about your Trump supporting friends weren’t you? Not you yourself?

How can these friends of yours claim with a straight face that a president has to be pulling for the whole population then consider voting for Trump? Or be all for law and order then consider voting for the guy who tried to steal an election by force?

• Like 3

Biden and Harris are also playing this prisoner exchange perfectly. Harris greeted them by the plane when they landed and is generally behaving so positively. 

The contrasts are stark, Trump is being a negative racist idiot while Kamala is smiling, laughing and talking about the positives she'll bring.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â