U.S. Politics

maqroll

5 hours ago, Panto_Villan said:

To be fair, it's not just with Trump - it also protects Biden from the next administration bringing actions against him.

Trump is obviously what sparked all this, but the ridiculous levels of polarisation in the US are a serious problem too. If Trump dropped dead tomorrow but the Republicans won the election, I think there'd still be plenty of Republicans who were keen try and settle scores with members of the previous administration.

The independent of DOJ is what in the past have protected former presidents from false prosecutions, not immunity. Trump wanted to prosecute Hillary, but DOJ didn’t allow it.

The problem with immunity is that it also protect presidents when they have done something illegal. It was a lot of talks about Hunter Biden selling access to his father. With the new immunity ruling, it wouldn’t been a problem for Biden if it was true. Going forward presidents could make decisions that would harm America’s interests just to enrich themselves, without fear of prosecution.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Anyone seen more recent polls. Any more now showing Harris ahead? 

Yeah there's been a few showing Harris 1-2% ahead but several showing Trump ahead.

Edited by villan95
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, villan95 said:

So 14 polls since Biden dropped out. 5 showing leads for Harris, 9 for Trump 😕

What would 14 polls leading up to Biden’s drop out have shown? I don’t know, but I suspect 14 straight Trump wins.

The democrats have a chance now, however narrow. They were dead in the water a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

What would 14 polls leading up to Biden’s drop out have shown? I don’t know, but I suspect 14 straight Trump wins.

The democrats have a chance now, however narrow. They were dead in the water a couple of weeks ago.

Yeah the last 14 Biden v Trump polls only showed 1 Biden lead and 1 tie (15th was also a Biden lead)

It's definitely given them far more of a chance changing candidate.

• Like 1

I wouldn’t ordinarily have much of an opinion between Republican and Democrat. It’s just the personal propensity to create chaos and unforeseen circumstances that trump brings that we don’t need. 

Although it could be funny to see David Lammy as Foreign Secretary having to be nice to a trump administration.

1 hour ago, villan95 said:

Yeah the last 14 Biden v Trump polls only showed 1 Biden lead and 1 tie (15th was also a Biden lead)

It's definitely given them far more of a chance changing candidate.

It's blows my mind that it's so close. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Can't stand Trump. Him winning will be better for me crypto portfolio tho 

I don’t think so tbh, it would just be even more shady pump and dumps and rug pulls. 

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

It's blows my mind that it's so close. 

Crazy how much support Trump and MAGA gets.

Same with how much of the vote in the UK went Tory or Reform. Think combined they had 30/40% of the vote or something ridiculous. At least that didn't carry through to number of MPs.

• Like 1

Project 2025 to end policy work after Democratic attacks angered Trump

The right-wing policy operation that became a rallying cry for Democrats and a nuisance for Republican nominee Donald Trump is trying to escape the public spotlight and repair relations with Trump’s campaign.

Project 2025, a collaboration led by the Heritage Foundation among more than 110 conservative groups to develop a movement consensus blueprint for the next Republican administration, is winding down its policy operations, and its director, former Trump administration personnel official Paul Dans, is departing. The Heritage Foundation also recently distributed new talking points encouraging participants to emphasize that the project does not speak for Trump.

The former president has repeatedly distanced himself from Project 2025 after relentless attacks from Democrats using some of the 900-page playbook’s more aggressive proposals to impute Trump’s agenda since many of the proposals were written by alumni of Trump’s White House. While some participants in the project started avoiding interviews and public appearances, Trump advisers grew furious that Heritage leaders continued promoting the project and feeding critical news coverage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2024/07/30/project-2025-director-paul-dans-leaves-heritage-foundation/

Remains to see if this actually means something.

It’s great that it’s even after just a few weeks and before Harris picks her veep. The pendulum is swinging the right way, and I suspect any debate between either the presidential or VP candidates will swing it further to Kamala.

The trend isn’t good for Trump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magnkarl said:

It’s great that it’s even after just a few weeks and before Harris picks her veep. The pendulum is swinging the right way, and I suspect any debate between either the presidential or VP candidates will swing it further to Kamala.

The trend isn’t good for Trump.

She needs to get spending those millions on sharp marketing too. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Her speech last night in Georgia was very good!

I watched it and thought she was alright, but American politics is so **** weird. There's the clip going around where she calls him out for refusing to debate and ends it with 'If you've got something to say, say it to my face', and throughout the entire speech there's a crowd whooping and hollering.

It's closer to a WWE promo than it is anything we see in British politics, I find it utterly bizarre.

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I watched it and thought she was alright, but American politics is so **** weird. There's the clip going around where she calls him out for refusing to debate and ends it with 'If you've got something to say, say it to my face', and throughout the entire speech there's a crowd whooping and hollering.

It's closer to a WWE promo than it is anything we see in British politics, I find it utterly bizarre.

Yeah it's crazy over there for that sort of stuff. 

The momentum seems to be going well right now. 

I just don't get how 6 years ago enough people voted in midterms to hit the republicans. 4 years ago, enough people voted to say we've had enough of Trump. 2 years ago, when republicans were confident of a red wave, enough people voted to completely squash that. 

And yet now all of a sudden there's not enough people to vote against Trump coming back. What the **** has changed their mind? 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I just don't get how 6 years ago enough people voted in midterms to hit the republicans. 4 years ago, enough people voted to say we've had enough of Trump. 2 years ago, when republicans were confident of a red wave, enough people voted to completely squash that. 

And yet now all of a sudden there's not enough people to vote against Trump coming back. What the **** has changed their mind? 

Weren’t the polls saying things would be pretty close 4 years and 2 years ago as well though? Then the Democrats outperformed polling and the Trumpists claimed it was all rigged. 

50 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is the issue.

people are mostly voting against something rather than for something. Biden deteriorating before the public eye made less people boy for him.

overall, it’s mostly less people voting that gives Trump a chance. How much was it last time? 71m voted Trump, 80m for Biden? That left another 3rd of the public not voting.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â