U.S. Politics

maqroll

Imagine being the kind of special word removed that thought this was the thing to tweet tonight (he’s since deleted it)

For our American friends, he’s a radio phone in host

• Shocked 1

The worst thing the Dems can do now is anoint Harris the nominee, but the Dems being the Dems, they'll probably do just that, disregarding the fact that Harris was not elected VP, and she crashed out of the primary in 2020 with feeble numbers. 

I'm all for giving Harris a fair shot, though. But don't exclude all the other candidates. The convention should be open, just like the old days. 

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

The worst thing the Dems can do now is anoint Harris the nominee, but the Dems being the Dems, they'll probably do just that, disregarding the fact that Harris was not elected VP, and she crashed out of the primary in 2020 with feeble numbers. 

I'm all for giving Harris a fair shot, though. But don't exclude all the other candidates. The convention should be open, just like the old days. 

On the contrary, I think the Dems uniting behind one candidate can do much to temper the traditional infighting. 

The bruising battle and divide between Hillary and Bernie did much to contribute to the 2016 loss. To have that be repeated a scant 90 days before the election and 30 days before early voting would be disastrous. 

For once, the party has a consensus pick - and Harris doesn’t have to be the best candidate ever presented, just enough to beat Trump. 

But it is an interesting electoral exercise. Harris gains will likely come from the core of the Democratic Party - black, youth, and college educated women.

Does she have enough of that + breakaway moderates from Trump’s first presidency in the key states?

It’s what ended up dooming Hillary in a similarly close race. 

2 hours ago, DJBOB said:

On the contrary, I think the Dems uniting behind one candidate can do much to temper the traditional infighting. 

The bruising battle and divide between Hillary and Bernie did much to contribute to the 2016 loss. To have that be repeated a scant 90 days before the election and 30 days before early voting would be disastrous. 

For once, the party has a consensus pick - and Harris doesn’t have to be the best candidate ever presented, just enough to beat Trump. 

I agree. A knife fight now only benefits one candidate. There’ll be a process of some kind but it’ll be half hearted. To do anything else would leave the door open to accusations of it being undemocratic. A lot of the riding stars of the party won’t fancy being parachuted in to do a “ Big Sam” style rearguard action.

Democratic online donations are flooding ActBlue

Since Biden's announcement, the platform — which includes presidential fundraising as well as down-ballot candidates and Democratic-aligned groups — has raised more than $27.5 million.

That’s far more than normal: Over roughly the same time period yesterday afternoon, for example, it saw about $2.7 million in donations, or one-tenth today’s amount.

6 hours ago, maqroll said:

One is Black, and the other is Black, I get it. Top tier stuff.

or...he is an incredibly popular political figure, maybe one of the most popular and well regarded political figures in recent memory and what we need is for him to come back because he would beat trump who is pretty much the opposite but the yank system means he cant so instead he'll need to dress up as a woman in order to do it, so then take kamala harris and dress him up as her...

not everyone sees the world in black and white

• Like 1

I just can't see Harris delivering the swing states like old joe did. In 2020 he managed to unite the progressives and the more traditional rust belt democrats to win, picking up key states of Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin. Biden received the most amount of votes ever by any presidential candidate.  Unforuntaely age has beaten him not his opponent. Though in hindsight it was a diaster calling an early debate and he was obviously not in the right physical condition to do so.

Harris hasn’t had the best in the party campaigning for her before - she will be supported like no other time in the past. All she need do is communicate the message competently and everything rows in behind that. She’ll even get the fabled Swift endorsement now. Whatever happens the US will get two very different ways forward and if Trump is chosen then so be it. 

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

or...he is an incredibly popular political figure, maybe one of the most popular and well regarded political figures in recent memory and what we need is for him to come back because he would beat trump who is pretty much the opposite but the yank system means he cant so instead he'll need to dress up as a woman in order to do it, so then take kamala harris and dress him up as her...

That's all well and good but it was tweeted by a self described "conservative populist", so I'm guessing it's closer to maqroll's interpretation.

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

It's too early in the morning to determine if you are being sarcastic, but are you familiar with far right Twatters like Joey Mannarino?

12 hours ago, bickster said:

Imagine being the kind of special word removed that thought this was the thing to tweet tonight (he’s since deleted it)

For our American friends, he’s a radio phone in host

He's deleted that, with no trace of an apology or admission it was a pretty **** up thing to bring up for no reason, and then within an hour is chastising Trump for not showing public respect to Biden :D 

I mean, he's right that Trump's posts are also disgraceful, but Vine has got absolutely no self awareness

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Who bceomes VP now? Anyone know?

A white male I'm guessing. Josh Shapiro is apparently the betting favorite.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I don't think we'd expect Harris to announce her running mate until she's confirmed as the candidate 

11 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do you mean to replace Harris because she'll be resigning to campaign?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â