U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, Panto_Villan said:

Vance is one of the major intellectual forces behind Trumpism / MAGA these days. Quite a dangerous character imo, a lot less of a clown than many of the other MAGA characters.

Also an extreme opponent of Ukraine aid. 

Just read through his wiki, seems like exactly they type of guy Trump would pick, or have picked for him.

No idea how he plays with the undecided masses.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I reckon he registered as a Republican voter just to throw people off the scent. Odd to have given to a Dem cause in 2021 then register Republican. Have they confirmed the dates he registered? Wouldn't be surprised if it was in the planning process for this. 

My friend (independent) who lives in Pennsylvania has done something similar -- in PA, in order to vote in a primary, you must be registered to that party. He did that with Republicans in 2016, and democrats in 2020. 

The BBC show on the Trump attempted assassination 

seems it was down to Jebus and devine  intervention  and you could see the US flag fluttering in the wind that looked like an angel

FFS

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

My friend (independent) who lives in Pennsylvania has done something similar -- in PA, in order to vote in a primary, you must be registered to that party. He did that with Republicans in 2016, and democrats in 2020. 

Fairly common, especially in so-called swing states 

39 minutes ago, sne said:

Just read through his wiki, seems like exactly they type of guy Trump would pick, or have picked for him.

No idea how he plays with the undecided masses.

Not sure he's relevant to the election, particularly. Trump is too big a character for the VP to matter much. But I think he's more articulate and less gaffe-prone than the usual crowd of Trump sycophants so he's probably not a bad pick in that regard.

I think the relevance comes in what direction he might pull a Trump administration if they get into power - or what he might do if Trump drops dead (or gets shot) and he becomes President himself.

Hopefully he just gets sidelined and ends up being irrelevant like most VPs do.

58 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Not sure he's relevant to the election, particularly. Trump is too big a character for the VP to matter much. But I think he's more articulate and less gaffe-prone than the usual crowd of Trump sycophants so he's probably not a bad pick in that regard.

I think the relevance comes in what direction he might pull a Trump administration if they get into power - or what he might do if Trump drops dead (or gets shot) and he becomes President himself.

Hopefully he just gets sidelined and ends up being irrelevant like most VPs do.

This. No matter what one might think of his politics, he’s extremely intelligent and competent and has the backing of billionaire Peter Thiel. Also, he leans hard into religion. As I said in previous days, he’s one to watch, and I mean that in multiple ways 

Assuming Trump is elected I would bet he doesn’t serve a full term. The KFC and McDonald’s and time will eventually do the job and whoever the VP is will, as predicted by Rush on 2112, assume control 

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

For those who might not be all that familiar with J.D. Vance

https://wapo.st/4bLj7pi

When Donald Trump first ran for president in 2016, one of his steadfast critics within the Republican Party was J.D. Vance — then a young lawyer and venture capitalist who in June of that year published a best-selling book about his upbringing in Appalachia and the Rust Belt.

“I can’t stomach Trump,” Vance told NPR that August. “I’m a ‘Never Trump’ guy. I never liked him,” Vance told Charlie Rose in October 2016, weeks before Trump was elected president. 

By 2022, however, Vance ran for Senate and had changed his tune. He said he had been “wrong” for criticizing Trump, whom he defended as a “great” president. And on Monday, Vance’s about-face on Trump appeared to have paid off: In a post to his social media platform, Trump announced the 39-year-old Ohio Republican as his 2024 running mate, capping a meteoric rise for the GOP star.

I've always been interested in language and terms people use, particularly in the most powerful positions in the world.

I can only quote two instances right now, but I'm sure there's plenty more, but American presidents or potential candidates seem to be able to say some very controversial things without actually saying them.

"...there will be a bloodbath" - If that was said in a third world nation, I can't help but think there would be a lot more intervention or discussion at least.

And after 11/9, George Dubya's use of "...crusade..." in one of his first interviews after what happened. It's a very specific term, I would guess with a lot of thought behind it too, but also very pertinent to the people that followed him and their beliefs.

• Like 2

The JD Vance pick is the hard right nutjobs setting themselves up for the next decade. Trump could drop dead any minute.

Trump doesn't realise he's just a puppet for these bible bashing, gun loving, sister **** freak shows. This guy could take over from Trump a year into his potential presidency, then contest 2 more elections. Hello, Gilead.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's absolutely astonishing to me that they knew there was a shooter, they're tracking him, and they aren't immediately rushing to cover Trump and get him off the stage

This failure by the Secret Service will come as no surprise to the excellent Carol Leonnig.

Zero Fail: the rise and fall of the Secret Service by Carol Leonnig | eBay

It is quite funny when you compare it to how delicately our politicians tread when they're directly asked about their opinion on the mango mussolini.

Obviously they talk about how important it is to respect the democratic mandate, and they will work with whoever the American people elect, be it Democrat or Republic.

Then you've got this guy, completely untroubled by the burden of international diplomacy, unconstrained by reality.

Yikes. But on the plus side surely we can now just put two fingers up to the bastards - no more red carpet for that lot. (By which I mean MAGAs)

Edited by Jareth

30 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Despite the ugly nature of the comments, it bodes well for the special relationship doesn’t it?

The special relationship has been dead for years. Our armed forces are a litteral laughing stock in the US, and US advisors have indicated to our counterparts that we'll need to get our act together because at this rate we're not even top 5 in Europe.

Look at it from the US perspective, they've invested a lot into their defense, and we've literally cut our once famed armed forces to shreds.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â