U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just waiting for the Dem's to launch a mysterious new candidate named Orack Babama who under close inspection seem to be wearing a fake mustache.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Yeah, true. But there’s no mechanism for taking it out of his hands. It’s completely in his control to just stay in the race. He can’t be removed by anyone else.

From listening to the news and stuff, it seems like most of Americans think the two candidates are dire. Hopefully the Democrats can persuade him to step aside and put in someone to trounce Trump resoundingly.

I have an incredibly rudimentary understanding of us politics, but isn't the 25th amendment still an option?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Just waiting for the Dem's to launch a mysterious new candidate named Orack Babama who under close inspection seem to be wearing a fake mustache.

Does he have a birth certificate?

• Haha 4

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I have an incredibly rudimentary understanding of us politics, but isn't the 25th amendment still an option?

Don’t think so. He is the selected Dem candidate for the presidential election. He is also current president, and he’s alive and, while seemingly somewhat diminished in mental capacity, I don’t think that’s therefore a possibility. Isn’t that for if the President dies?

He has made gaffes his entire political career. He stood up and answered questions reasonably coherently for nearly an hour, and yet the whole media pounced on one slip. An aged Biden is still better than a deranged Trump.

I am interested to see  who the Democrats wish to magic up to replace Biden. Harris would get hammered by Trump and any other alternative is going to be fraught and messy.  Of course a 81-year-old shouldn't run for the presidency but they have no one else to unify the support base and potentially win the election. That is why he won the nomination in 2020 and then beat  the incumbent president.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

Don’t think so. He is the selected Dem candidate for the presidential election. He is also current president, and he’s alive and, while seemingly somewhat diminished in mental capacity, I don’t think that’s therefore a possibility. Isn’t that for if the President dies?

It’s for more than that. It clarifies that the vice president becomes president if the president dies, resigns, or is removed from office through impeachment, and establishes how a vacancy in the office of the vice president can be filled. It also provides for the temporary transfer of the president's powers and duties to the vice president, either on the initiative of the president alone or on the initiative of the vice president together with a majority of the president's cabinet. In either case, the vice president becomes acting president until the presidential powers and duties are returned to the president.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Agree. Many do not seem to get the visceral dislike for her held by large chunks of the 🇺🇸 people 

You're a lot closer to it than me, why does everyone hate Harris. I just don't know.

6 minutes ago, colhint said:

You're a lot closer to it than me, why does everyone hate Harris. I just don't know.

I don’t fully get it either. Here in CA she got a bad reputation as being way too gung ho on incarcerations when she was the District Attorney in San Francisco/Attorney General of California. But that’s just here in California; nationwide I think it mostly boils down to her being an allegedly extreme liberal, confident, accomplished African-American woman from California. Out in the hinterlands that ticks off a plethora of boxes on the checklist of hatred*

*=Checklist of Hatred: that’s a damn solid band name and I’m claiming it 😉

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I don’t fully get it either. Here in CA she got a bad reputation as being way too gung ho on incarcerations when she was the District Attorney in San Francisco/Attorney General of California. But that’s just here in California; nationwide I think it mostly boils down to her being an allegedly extreme liberal, confident, accomplished African-American woman from California. Out in the hinterlands that ticks off a plethora of boxes on the checklist of hatred*

*=Checklist of Hatred: that’s a damn solid band name and I’m claiming it 😉

Friends in the ATL tell me it’s just that she is three things. Strong, Black, Woman. I don’t doubt that for many that’s enough to dislike her but I’m sure there’s a lot more to it than that. 

1 minute ago, choffer said:

Friends in the ATL tell me it’s just that she is three things. Strong, Black, Woman. I don’t doubt that for many that’s enough to dislike her but I’m sure there’s a lot more to it than that. 

Has to be more than that since Michelle Obama is pretty popular. Unless she's seen as weak?

1 minute ago, sne said:

Has to be more than that since Michelle Obama is pretty popular. Unless she's seen as weak?

MO’b has a likability though. Harris is a tough cookie and that’s enough to scare some. 

8 minutes ago, choffer said:

For a great many that’s all the reason they’ll ever need. No need to overthink it 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Yes. A majority of his cabinet have to vote for it, and party leaders might need to agree as well, but I'm not certain. It's never been enacted before, but interestingly was hotly debated among Trump's cabinet over the first few months of his term because he was inviting Russians into the Oval Office while excluding Americans, divulging Mossad operations to said Russians, and when not committing treason, he was acting like a madman generally. 

It was one of many missed opportunities to stop Trump before he could do more damage. 

Whatever Hell Trump unleashes on the country, win or lose, will be on the conscience of every craven Republican that enabled him at every turn.

As for Biden, it seems the people closest to him care more about keeping their slice of power and access than the future of the country.

• Like 1

Can’t remember if I read it on VT, but someone posted “Every Democrat seems to be talking like a mob boss trying to order a crime when they think the feds might be listening” and I just can’t unsee it.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â