U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, Genie said:

It will need to be a decision about what is the least worst option.

Hence why they are staying with Biden, the incumbent so the focus is anti-Trump and what he’s done than internal arguments within the base about the least worst other option.  Dems love kicking themselves in the teeth, the worst they can do now is cause chaos in the base.  They all need to remain focused.  Trump and co would love it if Biden was replaced and the ‘disarray’ narrative they could spout.  Stay focused on knocking Trump, his policies and what the right wing Supreme Court have done.

Just now, nick76 said:

Hence why they are staying with Biden, the incumbent so the focus is anti-Trump and what he’s done than internal arguments within the base about the least worst other option.  Dems love kicking themselves in the teeth, the worst they can do now is cause chaos in the base.  They all need to remain focused.  Trump and co would love it if Biden was replaced and the ‘disarray’ narrative they could spout.  Stay focused on knocking Trump, his policies and what the right wing Supreme Court have done.

The argument will be “Biden isn’t fit to run the country”, whereas if they draft someone else in then there will be different, but imo lesser lines of attack.

Let’s see what happens. I predict they swap him out.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

The argument will be “Biden isn’t fit to run the country”, whereas if they draft someone else in then there will be different, but imo lesser lines of attack.

Let’s see what happens. I predict they swap him out.

They may do.  The problem I see who to replace him with.  If there was an obvious candidate who had the support then it’s a no brainer but there isn’t as I’ve outlined before.

I hope they know who would replace him before he did drop out otherwise it’s guaranteeing a Trump win.

It would need to be the smoothest transition of candidate possible which imo doesn’t happen in politics.  4 months in politics is a week in normal people’s world, it’s not very long.

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

They may do.  The problem I see who to replace him with.  If there was an obvious candidate who had the support then it’s a no brainer but there isn’t as I’ve outlined before.

I hope they know who would replace him before he did drop out otherwise it’s guaranteeing a Trump win.

It would need to be the smoothest transition of candidate possible which imo doesn’t happen in politics.  4 months in politics is a week in normal people’s world, it’s not very long.

Nick, question for you, who is the best possible replacement, and are they better than Biden?

3 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Nick, question for you, who is the best possible replacement, and are they better than Biden?

I’ve thought about this for months and I don’t think there is a replacement that can win now.  I think for 2028 there are plenty of candidates who can spend the next four years explaining their pros and calming their perceived cons to those that have them within the base.  Many of those candidates are very talented and will be better than Biden as a President but you have to win an election to do that and 4 months to get over those cons isn’t enough time for any of them.

The only person that could win the election but I don’t think would a great president and doesn’t want it and hates politics is Michelle Obama who’s loved by Dems mostly across the board.  So that’s the problem we have now that we don’t have a person who’s loved across the base and who wants to be President and will be good as President.  

Bizarrely Biden got a sympathy bump up in the polls after the debate, if he can hang on, I think the focus remains on anti-Trump vote, sympathy vote for Biden, not have chaos in Dem party, then focus on abortion, right wing Supreme Court and all the other main issues.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NoelVilla said:

Biden have lost the media. He have no chance from here. Of course they can replace him. Idiots if they don't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

I’ve thought about this for months and I don’t think there is a replacement that can win now.  I think for 2028 there are plenty of candidates who can spend the next four years explaining their pros and calming their perceived cons to those that have them within the base.  Many of those candidates are very talented and will be better than Biden as a President but you have to win an election to do that and 4 months to get over those cons isn’t enough time for any of them.

The only person that could win the election but I don’t think would a great president and doesn’t want it and hates politics is Michelle Obama who’s loved by Dems mostly across the board.  So that’s the problem we have now that we don’t have a person who’s loved across the base and who wants to be President and will be good as President.  

Bizarrely Biden got a sympathy bump up in the polls after the debate, if he can hang on, I think the focus remains on anti-Trump vote, sympathy vote for Biden, not have chaos in Dem party, then focus on abortion, right wing Supreme Court and all the other main issues.

Are you one of us? 🇺🇸

9 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Are you one of us? 🇺🇸

Nah born down the road from Villa Park.  Dual citizen of 🇬🇧 and 🇦🇺.  Had global job roles so always had deep interest in market and political movements that impact my work.  The US has massive impact but it also fascinates me.

• Like 1

If Biden were to stand and win, how long do we think he'd actually serve?

They'd look to replace him pretty much immediately after the election wouldn't they?

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

They'd look to replace him pretty much immediately after the election wouldn't they?

He'd last exactly as long as it would take for a Trumper to jump around a corner unexpectedly at him.

Edited by Chindie
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Yes quite. All the talk is about how he can stumble over the line to November but then what. This is supposed to be a 4 year job, not 4 months. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Yes quite. All the talk is about how he can stumble over the line to November but then what. This is supposed to be a 4 year job, not 4 months. 

They could always wheel out Jimmy Carter, he only served 1 term.

Jimmy Carter President 2024 Pinback Buttons Funny Political Lot 2.25" | eBay

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, nick76 said:

I disagree.

4 months is quite some time in politics. If they replace him today with Harris, Newsom, Buttigieg,… there is still plenty of time to build some reputation across the media. The anti-Trump sentiment is still strong, but negated by the Biden is dementing sentiment. 
pretty much anyone will do, and if the dems have any sense (big if) they would just rally behind whoever replaces Biden. Person X is not a convicted felon, not responsible for an insurrection, will reinstate abortion rights and will not get lost in the White House parking lot. Home run of a campaign right there.

Also, why do people keep going on about Michelle Obama? she’s not doing it, she has stated she doesn’t want to do it. To me this is like saying Taylor Swift or Tom Hanks would beat Trump. Yes they are well liked, but are not politicians. The media have got to let it go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Then if Biden steps down after winning the race then Harris takes over.  Everybody knows the score from politicians to voters.  Nobody can say they didn’t know.  It’s the same with Trump who, given his age, and health may not last 4 years.  Obvious why the reasons it’s being asked about Biden now after recent events but this what Americans get for having two old men as the candidates.  Voters know it’s Biden with a strong chance of Harris, and Trump with a chance of whoever he picks as VP.

Everybody knows the score.

24 minutes ago, AXD said:

I disagree.

4 months is quite some time in politics. If they replace him today with Harris, Newsom, Buttigieg,… there is still plenty of time to build some reputation across the media. The anti-Trump sentiment is still strong, but negated by the Biden is dementing sentiment. 
pretty much anyone will do, and if the dems have any sense (big if) they would just rally behind whoever replaces Biden. Person X is not a convicted felon, not responsible for an insurrection, will reinstate abortion rights and will not get lost in the White House parking lot. Home run of a campaign right there.

Also, why do people keep going on about Michelle Obama? she’s not doing it, she has stated she doesn’t want to do it. To me this is like saying Taylor Swift or Tom Hanks would beat Trump. Yes they are well liked, but are not politicians. The media have got to let it go.

Ok, we’ll have to agree to disagree about four months duration.

The reason I think the media keep talking about Michelle Obama is I think they realise she’s the only one that could come in at this late stage, bring unity to the party and win.  As I’ve said, she doesn’t want to do it and hates politics but Dem’s might be desperate and trying to peer pressure her to take one for the nation.

As for them not being politicians, nor was Trump, he was just a billionaire property owner and reality tv person, so I’m not sure that matters.

it’s going to be Biden vs Trump imo

29 minutes ago, AXD said:

To me this is like saying Taylor Swift or Tom Hanks would beat Trump. Yes they are well liked, but are not politicians.

Yeah they're celebrities.

Like Trump was.

But you're right, it should be someone with some experience of politics (and who wants the job) at this point. But I think the US has a more crazy obsession with celebrity than pretty much any other nation, and at the end of the day an election is a popularity contest - guess we'll find out if the Dems want to lose with someone competent or win with The Rock.

24 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Then if Biden steps down after winning the race then Harris takes over.  Everybody knows the score from politicians to voters.  Nobody can say they didn’t know.  It’s the same with Trump who, given his age, and health may not last 4 years.  Obvious why the reasons it’s being asked about Biden now after recent events but this what Americans get for having two old men as the candidates.  Voters know it’s Biden with a strong chance of Harris, and Trump with a chance of whoever he picks as VP.

Everybody knows the score.

Na that’s bullshit. If it’s Harris who is running then let her be voted in by the people. 

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Na that’s bullshit. If it’s Harris who is running then let her be voted in by the people. 

Never going to work like that though is it in reality.  It’s not a perfect world, it’s always going to be done for the best outcome.  It’s not as if the people truly get their way anyway from all the various state laws each party put in, the districting lines, the unbalanced electoral college and the national popular vote not meaning much.  So you can claim BS but it’s not going to happen like that.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Yeah they're celebrities.

Like Trump was.

But you're right, it should be someone with some experience of politics (and who wants the job) at this point. But I think the US has a more crazy obsession with celebrity than pretty much any other nation, and at the end of the day an election is a popularity contest - guess we'll find out if the Dems want to lose with someone competent or win with The Rock.

What makes you think Dwayne Johnson is a Democrat? Not that I keep up with him all that closely, but his words and actions strike me as those of a classic fence-straddler

Edited by Nor-Cal Villan

Get real, Biden's not going to step aside if he wins. If he's too stubborn not to hand over to someone else in the run up to the election, why would he step aside as soon as he wins? I think there's very little chance the Democrats would do it either, unless he reaches the point where he can't read a teleprompter (which is a lot further gone than not being able to debate well in public).

That said, I also think that four months is plenty of time in politics for someone new to fill in for Biden. Nobody is voting for Biden, they're voting against Trump, and I find it hard to believe that switching to someone else would lose those voters. Unless they go for someone needlessly fringe like Sanders.

Also, Michelle Obama is only universally loved because she doesn't do politics. The moment she actually had to set out and defend some policies she'd start getting pelters from all sides. And I'm not sure "loved by all Democrats" necessarily translates well to "loved by the electorate".

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â