U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sorry simple mistake north east rather than north west

But you get what I mean, a man from Delaware and a man from say Montana are two very different people 

Of course, you are 100% correct. 🇺🇸 is such a massive country: for example, traded an email a few days back with a friend in Brum and pointed out that he lives closer to Moscow, Russia than I do (I live in Chico, California) to Chicago

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Trump less so but biden could die of old age during his term 

How do you reconcile that as like an 18 year old voter?

It's hard enough in America as it is, biden is an old white man from the north west, he doesn't represent an 18 year black kid from new Mexico and thats the weird thing about populist politics where in reality it's biden it's the democrats at large but that's not the reality 

I think either could die during their term because of age.  Trump eats very unhealthy and a very unhealthy weight so more at risk that way.  Biden has some other health issues.  I don’t you can judge who is more likely to pass away.

As for representation you are right but the same is for both candidates but I think we would both agree that Biden is more likely to try and understand what an 18 year old black kid needs are, would try to help than Trump who only cares about himself, has a life time of not being kind to the minorities communities.

To be fair I think most politicians are out of touch with the people they supposedly represent at most levels of government.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

The problem with polls like that at this stage of the election is that most people will only know the alternatives by name so they're largely pointless comparisons. Put someone like Sanders (also an age problem but seems more coherent) or Michelle Obama (as has been suggested for 2028) on there, two people the American public have more awareness of, I'd wager they poll better than Biden.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

The problem with polls like that at this stage of the election is that most people will only know the alternatives by name so they're largely pointless comparisons

I would normally agree with this, although the problem is if Biden pulled out of the race now as some suggested that’s exactly the choice Dems would have to make very quickly so they would have to pick by name basically so it’s not pointless as it would be a real decision.

13 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Put someone like Sanders (also an age problem but seems more coherent) or Michelle Obama (as has been suggested for 2028) on there, two people the American public have more awareness of, I'd wager they poll better than Biden.

Sanders wouldn’t be more popular than Biden, he’s niche in the Dem party and wouldn’t have widespread support within the party even against Biden with health issues.  Michelle Obama has repeatedly distanced herself from politics, she has no interest in being in it herself.  There is all but no chance she’ll be running in 2028, she hates it all.  Unfortunately she is the only one that could do it in 2024 with popularity but she has no interest at all.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I would normally agree with this, although the problem is if Biden pulled out of the race now as some suggested that’s exactly the choice Dems would have to make very quickly so they would have to pick by name basically so it’s not pointless as it would be a real decision.

Sanders wouldn’t be more popular than Biden, he’s niche in the Dem party and wouldn’t have widespread support within the party even against Biden with health issues.  Michelle Obama has repeatedly distanced herself from politics, she has no interest in being in it herself.  There is all but no chance she’ll be running in 2028, she hates it all.  Unfortunately she is the only one that could do it in 2024 with popularity but she has no interest at all.

It's more that it's pointless because as soon as the Dems pick someone and get them out there, their approval will likely go up by virtue of having wider exposure. If you ask someone on the fence if they'd vote for Trump or someone they've never heard of, they're more likely to pick Trump or don't know was more my point.

And Sanders and Obama were picked purely because of name recognition rather than them having any real chance of running. Plus the fact Sanders regularly polled ahead of Trump in both 2016 and 2020.

• Like 1

I'm concerned that Biden quite clearly is not up to the job *right now* let alone for 4.5 more years....

He has to step down, and he can do it in a face-saving manner. Fall on his sword "for the good of the republic", etc. 

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

I'm concerned that Biden quite clearly is not up to the job *right now* let alone for 4.5 more years....

He has to step down, and he can do it in a face-saving manner. Fall on his sword "for the good of the republic", etc. 

Yes this is the other thing that seems to be being left unsaid.

All the focus seems to be on whether he can hold it together for the next 4 months to be able to get it over the line in November but if he’s like this now what’s he going to be like in 2028 and the US is trying to deal with some crisis or another?

I think the big question is who is running America? As based on what we aay it isnt biden. He cant run a bath let alone a country.

Is it kamala? Someone else? Its actually quite scary thinking about it. Imagine biden doing face to face to with xi or putin?

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think the big question is who is running America? As based on what we aay it isnt biden. He cant run a bath let alone a country.

Is it kamala? Someone else? Its actually quite scary thinking about it. Imagine biden doing face to face to with xi or putin?

While I agree, do you think Trump does any better with these two.  Trump is completely outclassed by these guys, Trump only trying to get what benefits him and just scary globally the impact he could have.  While Biden is deteriorating I’d much rather him face to face with Putin or XI than Trump.

2 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

There’s a big difference between the mental agility needed for a public debate and the mental agility to read documents and make decisions without enormous time pressure. Biden is probably fine running the country.

and has vast experience, along with very competent and skilled support team whereas as Trump doesn’t and has problematic support teams.

2 hours ago, nick76 said:

While I agree, do you think Trump does any better with these two.  Trump is completely outclassed by these guys, Trump only trying to get what benefits him and just scary globally the impact he could have.  While Biden is deteriorating I’d much rather him face to face with Putin or XI than Trump.

Im not sure about that - as much as i dont like trump i think he would be bettee to deal with these two than bide . They would just laugh at biden mumbling and staring like a statue. He is not fit for president we all saw that.

Im pretty sure he will step down by November- i been saying it for the last 12 months and i still expect that to happen with newsom taking over

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

as much as i dont like trump i think he would be bettee to deal with these two than bide .

Deal with them how though? The problem is Trump’s motives and what he wants out of the deal which I don’t think it’s always to the benefit of the U.S.  Aside from that many of his ideas like how he would use tariffs is mind boggling.  Tariffs are a good financial tool but his use is idiotic.  Plus then his views on NATO or at least how he’d handle democracy needs vs the regimes of Putin and Xi. So while yes he would be more coherent maybe his ideas and handling aren’t the best according to almost all academics.  Biden had a disaster of debate night but he’s been putting in the hard yards in terms of Israel and Ukraine so he’s still far better than Trump,

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Deal with them how though? The problem is Trump’s motives and what he wants out of the deal which I don’t think it’s always to the benefit of the U.S.  Aside from that many of his ideas like how he would use tariffs is mind boggling.  Tariffs are a good financial tool but his use is idiotic.  Plus then his views on NATO or at least how he’d handle democracy needs vs the regimes of Putin and Xi. So while yes he would be more coherent maybe his ideas and handling aren’t the best according to almost all academics.  Biden had a disaster of debate night but he’s been putting in the hard yards in terms of Israel and Ukraine so he’s still far better than Trump,

I mean it is very difficult to say as we dont know what they say behind closed doors.  But trump seems to have not lost hos cognitive function like biden does. He just lies about alot of things. There was no russian invasion under trump -whether that ia down to trump or not i have no idea.

Im not sure i agree about biden doing well with those two nick as these wars have been going for far too long with no progress at all. I dont care who does it as long as they can stop the wars. Too many people are dying

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I mean it is very difficult to say as we dont know what they say behind closed doors.  But trump seems to have not lost hos cognitive function like biden does. He just lies about alot of things. There was no russian invasion under trump -whether that ia down to trump or not i have no idea.

Im not sure i agree about biden doing well with those two nick as these wars have been going for far too long with no progress at all. I dont care who does it as long as they can stop the wars. Too many people are dying

Fair enough, I just think Trump is just a big no no both domestically and on foreign policy.  I think it will be a disaster if Trump wins.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Fair enough, I just think Trump is just a big no no both domestically and on foreign policy.  I think it will be a disaster if Trump wins.

I think its a disaster if either wins. Bidens been as big a disaster as trump was.

Both shouldn't be running

34 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think its a disaster if either wins. Bidens been as big a disaster as trump was.

I can’t agree with that because Biden’s support structure in terms of cabinet members and WH staff are top class and can guide us through it.  Trump’s is going to be Project 2025 and unqualified butt kissers and will become very problematic.  

When you have Bannon, Stephen Miller, Vought, Lighthizer, Homan, Paul Dans and the Heritage Foundation to name just a few having far more influence there is going to be massive consequences.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I what way has Biden been a disaster? 

• Like 1

Just now, sidcow said:

I what way has Biden been a disaster? 

Look at their cost of living, immigration and the drug issues there. Its been terrible

5 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I can’t agree with that because Biden’s support structure in terms of cabinet members and WH staff are top class and can guide us through it.  Trump’s is going to be Project 2025 and unqualified butt kissers and will become very problematic.  

When you have Bannon, Stephen Miller, Vought, Lighthizer, Homan, Paul Dans and the Heritage Foundation to name just a few having far more influence there is going to be massive consequences.

My only issue with the top class comment is that if thwy were so top class they would have removed biden way before this election. They have made a right mess of this as timing is so risky

Â