U.S. Politics

maqroll

27 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Out of interest who would be the names in contention if Biden did step down? 

Only name I’ve heard mentioned is Harris but surely she’d have zero chance to beating Trump. 

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

Gavin Newsom gets a lot of mentions (current governor of California).

I love Newsom but he puts off a lot of the swing vote unfortunately.  

Buttigieg is brilliant but his sexuality even in this modern age is a step too far for some American voters, which is disgraceful state of affairs but still a reality.

Harris unfortunately has too many things people dislike about her

Michelle Obama has no interest in politics, in fact hates it

Hakeem Jeffries is great House Dem Leader but too early to see if he can go to the next level

Maybe one of the Dem governors elsewhere but too much of a stretch…

I don’t think there is a natural replacement that can win for 2024, it was always going to be for 2028.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

There is a serious level of hate for Harris, she is incredibly disliked by so many. Almost at a Hillary-level of hatred…almost. She wouldn’t stand a prayer, regardless of her actual qualifications 

When she was first announced at VP i said she will be deeply unpopular and thus behold she is.

Next leader for Democrats ia newsom. He already being groomed for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Where was this guy last night…yes he’s on teleprompter now so that can be argued but the whole energy is back…I’m so confused!

Its not Biden. 

its someone wearing one of those Mission Impossible face masks. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

My governor. Just can’t see him playing well out in the heartland. He’s just too San Francisco, too slick 

My fear about Newsom is the more people get to know him, the more they will begin to recoil from him. He's slick and basically full of shit. But he projects vigor and confidence, and that's why people want him to run.

Gretchen Whitmer and Josh Shapiro are just as skilled, just as young but both are more likeable than Newsom. 

Edited by maqroll
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, maqroll said:

My fear about Newsom is the more people get to know him, the more they will begin to recoil from him. He's slick and basically full of shit. But he projects vigor and confidence, and that's why people want him to run.

Gretchen Whitmer and Josh Shapiro are just as skilled, just as young but both are more likeable than Newsom. 

Agree with all of that. Many people already recoil from him even without knowing that much about him 🤣 Even if he wasn’t basically full of 💩, as you said, there’s something about him that turns people off. 

• Like 1

I don’t trust Gavin Newsom’s judgment.   He was married to Kimberly Guilfoyle (Don Jr.’s current girlfriend and, I believe, fiancée).   Not only is she a batshit crazy MAGA troll, she’s also f***ing hideous.

• Like 1

Despite what we saw at the debate and media narrative of the need to replace Biden now, it seems voters at this point have not lost faith in Biden (or the fact nobody is willing to move over to Trump).  Even post debate polls seem to have the sympathy debate element in it.  Not that I fully trust polls these days.

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

I don’t trust Gavin Newsom’s judgment.   He was married to Kimberly Guilfoyle (Don Jr.’s current girlfriend and, I believe, fiancée).   Not only is she a batshit crazy MAGA troll, she’s also f***ing hideous.

Yeah, she’s a real nasty piece of work 👎👎

11 hours ago, maqroll said:

You just have to look at how many people are leaving california because of what newsom has done to that state.

He has the look, can talk but as you say absolutely full of shit.  I dont know much about the other two. If sanders was younger he would great. I quite like him

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What is it about being right wing that automatically puts you against green energy? Why the parallel? 

Some contributing factors  I think are widespread lobbying  by businesses/business owners whose business model is threatened by green energy (e.g. Koch brothers), innate resistance to new ways of doing things ("we've  always done things this way...") and an aversion to any perceived controls on behaviours ("don't  tell me not to burn whatever  I like" or as Eric Pickles memorably had it, people being free to chuck half their chicken tikka masala in the bin). But there are no do other factors. It's  a subject worth a thesis,  because the benefits of green energy  are something that any government  should want,  right or left (and indeed, many right wingers have done in the past, Michael Leibreich, Schwarzenegger, John Gummer to mention a handful)

Â