U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, magnkarl said:

Wow - the immigrants are bringing their own prisons and mental institutions?

No wonder the US economy is booming!

I wonder if they'd like to come and build some in the UK?

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, magnkarl said:

Wow - the immigrants are bringing their own prisons and mental institutions?

No wonder the US economy is booming!

Interestingly, a lot of first gen US immigrants generally hate next gen illegal/legal immigrants. It's a weird snobbery/working class hatred that is fueled by certain sections of the media.

It's disgusting that people like Thatcher* realized that the proletariat would easily hate each other when nudged.

*Thatcher et al have made us hate each other for decades post WW2 - we are just manipulated by petty politics. 

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Shocking!!!

Chip Roy represents a district between Austin & San Antonio and is an absolute tool 🤬 Thankfully we left Austin (lived there from 92-96) well before he came along. Statements like this are par for the course when it comes to this pile of 💩

Just listened to this Jon Stewart podcast (didn't realize it was also on YT) It's truly scary.

The GOP plan is this:  If Trump wins, the day after he is inaugurated, Clarence Thomas & Samuel Alito will both retire and the Federalist Society have some very young and very conservative judges lined up to be nominated.

It will cement a possible 7-2 conservative super majority on the supreme court for decades.

11 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Just listened to this Jon Stewart podcast (didn't realize it was also on YT) It's truly scary.

The GOP plan is this:  If Trump wins, the day after he is inaugurated, Clarence Thomas & Samuel Alito will both retire and the Federalist Society have some very young and very conservative judges lined up to be nominated.

It will cement a possible 7-2 conservative super majority on the supreme court for decades.

Leonard Leo & the damn Federalist Society have done immeasurable damage to this country 🤬 In such a scenario, these new judges won’t only be very young & very conservative, they will be hardcore religious dogmatics 

• Like 2

This one caught me by surprise earlier. The republican end goal seems to be to regress by 50 years.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/article/2024/jun/25/republicans-no-fault-divorce

Some prominent conservative lawmakers and commentators are advocating for ending no-fault divorce, laws that exist in all 50 US states and allow a person to end a marriage without having to prove a spouse did something wrong, like commit adultery or domestic violence.

The socially conservative, and often religious, rightwing opponents of such divorce laws are arguing that the practice deprives people – mostly men – of due process and hurt families, and by extension, society. Republican lawmakers in Louisiana, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Texas have discussed eliminating or increasing restrictions on no-fault marriage laws.

Defenders of the laws, which states started passing a half-century ago, see legislation and arguments to repeal them as the latest effort to restrict women’s rights – following the overturning of Roe v Wade and passage of abortion bans around the country – and say that without such protections, the country would return to an earlier era when women were often trapped in abusive marriages.

I was in upstate NY last week and was being driven to my destination by a high school teacher who had to work as a Chauffeur.  He seemed pretty much all there and teaches Astronomy and Physics, so much smarter than me! 

He thinks Biden will win the election by a larger margin than he did last time, because Trumps legal history is very much against the normal swing voters.

He said Trump is more interested in ripping up institutions and would likely make a case for extending presidency periods for longer than 4 years, which I don't think many Americans would agree with. 

It helped settle my worries at least. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I was in upstate NY last week and was being driven to my destination by a high school teacher who had to work as a Chauffeur.  He seemed pretty much all there and teaches Astronomy and Physics, so much smarter than me! 

He thinks Biden will win the election by a larger margin than he did last time, because Trumps legal history is very much against the normal swing voters.

He said Trump is more interested in ripping up institutions and would likely make a case for extending presidency periods for longer than 4 years, which I don't think many Americans would agree with. 

It helped settle my worries at least. 

But no worries about the fact he tried to take The Whitehouse by force.  Astonishing the whole thing really.

17 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Nate Silver hasn’t been right since 2016 and consistently wrong on Biden, even his former site shows the opposite.

2016 was only 1 election ago...

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

But no worries about the fact he tried to take The Whitehouse by force. 

The Capitol. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â