U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Yes is the answer to both, alas 🙄

The only requirement for receiving security briefings is to have been elected POTUS. You hold the office, you get the briefings. End of. 

Seems like a really big problem with the US constitution is that the founding fathers didn't consider just how **** stupid people would turn out to be. 

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

Seems like a really big problem with the US constitution is that the founding fathers didn't consider just how **** stupid people would turn out to be. 

Exactly! They saw no reason to plan for a felon as POTUS because they could never see “the people” being dumb enough to even consider voting for one 🙄

Thanks a lot, Founding Fathers 🤬

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder where he went :D 

That is **** terrifying isn't it.

American democracy has failed when this old boy off his rocker is the lesser of two evils.

• Like 2

Just now, Davkaus said:

That is **** terrifying isn't it.

American democracy has failed when this old boy off his rocker is the lesser of two evils.

Our “failed 🇺🇸 democracy” train left the station a long, long time ago 🙄

9 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Yes is the answer to both, alas 🙄

The only requirement for receiving security briefings is to have been elected POTUS. You hold the office, you get the briefings. End of. 

I don't believe that his is the case. I'll dig into it properly if I get chance.

Usually the candidates start to receive security briefings once they are confirmed. They don't have to be POTUS. As I understand it, the parties producing the briefings cannot knowingly pass them to someone they don't believe will adequately protect the information as that would be in breach of their own clearance.

There is nothing covering either case in the constitution, but there is precedent suggesting that the answer to both might be "no".

And he already has to give up his gun permit and the liquor licence at all his properties will be void on the day he is sentenced (regardless of sentence). Oh and all those bonds / loans to pay legal stuff are likely to become due if the debtor becomes a felon.

2 minutes ago, limpid said:

I don't believe that his is the case. I'll dig into it properly if I get chance.

Usually the candidates start to receive security briefings once they are confirmed. They don't have to be POTUS. As I understand it, the parties producing the briefings cannot knowingly pass them to someone they don't believe will adequately protect the information as that would be in breach of their own clearance.

There is nothing covering either case in the constitution, but there is precedent suggesting that the answer to both might be "no".

And he already has to give up his gun permit and the liquor licence at all his properties will be void on the day he is sentenced (regardless of sentence). Oh and all those bonds / loans to pay legal stuff are likely to become due if the debtor becomes a felon.

You are correct about the briefings. Since Biden can choose not to share them with his opposing candidate, I was referring to a scenario in which Trump has already been elected. Once a person is elected POTUS, they get the briefings even if they would otherwise fail a security check 

4 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

You are correct about the briefings. Since Biden can choose not to share them with his opposing candidate, I was referring to a scenario in which Trump has already been elected. Once a person is elected POTUS, they get the briefings even if they would otherwise fail a security check 

That's not in the constitution though, but the requirement not to act against the country's best interests is.

8 minutes ago, limpid said:

That's not in the constitution though, but the requirement not to act against the country's best interests is.

I didn’t say that it is. It is what occurs in actual practice. A president does not require a security clearance. As someone smarter than me has said, the voters give access to the country’s secrets to a POTUS. Alas, that is all the clearance a POTUS needs

1 hour ago, limpid said:

You’re allowed to be President if you’re a felon. You can even be President from a jail cell. There’s nothing in the constitution barring either of those things.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

You’re allowed to be President if you’re a felon. You can even be President from a jail cell. There’s nothing in the constitution barring either of those things.

Exactly. There are no limitations based on character or criminal record. At this point, the only thing that could prohibit Trump (or Biden, anyone else otherwise qualified) would be if he had been successfully impeached by Congress or if Congress found him to be guilty of insurrection or rebellion (14th Amendment, Section 3). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Genie said:

If Biden Jr goes to prison I’d assume his dad will pardon him after the election (win or lose).

I don’t think he will (but not gonna bet my house on it 😉)

8 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Exactly. There are no limitations based on character or criminal record. At this point, the only thing that could prohibit Trump (or Biden, anyone else otherwise qualified) would be if he had been successfully impeached by Congress or if Congress found him to be guilty of insurrection or rebellion (14th Amendment, Section 3). 

There absolutely are limitations built into the constitution  based on character and criminal record. 

"The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors."

I mean it covers misdemeanors as disqualifying.  The problem is that the mechanism is impeachment,  which won't work because of how corrupt the gop are. The constitution absolutely foresaw the possibility of a corrupt person, the founding fathers even put in warnings and wrote separately about what a corruption of the whole system would look like. None of it matters though as we have been able to watch in real time the collapse of logic and principle in the face of greed, self interest, and large scale manipulation of a population. 

The news channels should 100% be reporting that now Trump is now a felon that he cannot be President, as in a system functioning as designed, he would be impeached and removed from office the moment he arrived in it. The GOP should deselect him based on this and the voters should not want to vote for him because to vote for someone who is disqualified from holding the post by the rules founding the country should be pointless. 

That none of this is happening shows how utterly America has effed itself in the A.

This debate will be like when my dearly departed mother with dementia argued with her room mate over who got the tv-remote today (which was really a calculator) in the nursing home she was in during the last year of her life. Christ on a bike.

11 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

I didn’t say that it is. It is what occurs in actual practice. A president does not require a security clearance. As someone smarter than me has said, the voters give access to the country’s secrets to a POTUS. Alas, that is all the clearance a POTUS needs

I agree. But the person supplying the security briefings cannot knowingly give the secrets of the state to someone that they do not believe will act in the country's interests. That would be sedition or treason.

Jeepers. I can't imagine either side want their candidates at the debate. The Dems cos their candidate looks frail as f*** and sounds like he should be tucked away in a home getting the care he needs in his last moments on earth and the Reps because their candidate is so fecking out of his mind that they expect him to look bad in comparison. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â