U.S. Politics

maqroll

This speech is madness. How can anyone listen to this unhinged claptrap and think “yep, that’s the guy I want in charge”. 
America is a strange, strange place. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, choffer said:

This speech is madness. How can anyone listen to this unhinged claptrap and think “yep, that’s the guy I want in charge”. 
America is a strange, strange place. 

I know! How the hell has he become such a cult leader…

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I wish he was just a cult leader. But he's totally mainstream. It's insane. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Genie said:

The embarrassment of selling his empire to pay off his fines is hopefully coming up soon. Then Melania leaving him.

Problem is he’s going to make a sickening amount of money from Truth Social in six months (or whenever he can sell his shares).

For a while the stock price was dropping and it looked like he’d “only” make a few hundred million - but the price has risen hugely since then, despite the company having basically no revenue. His share is literally worth billions these days.

11 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Surely you jest 🤣 if these so-called people of faith didn’t question him after the countless shitty things he has done, what makes anyone think they would start now?

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.

I got that reference!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, nick76 said:

The same way other Fascists did.

Demonise the media.

Demonise the opposition.

Create scapegoats. 

Offer simple populist slogans.

Tell a cohort out there lies they will lap up.

Create an almost semi religious iconography around yourself. 

The rise of fascism in the mid 2010s is something we haven't adequately challenged. The response has been weak.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

You’ve got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know… morons.

gene-wilder-young-frankenstein.gif

13 hours ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

As far as I know it is not

As I understand it, it technically is as he won't be officially nominated until the 18th July. Practically though, no chance.

11 hours ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The same way other Fascists did.

Demonise the media.

Demonise the opposition.

Create scapegoats. 

Offer simple populist slogans.

Tell a cohort out there lies they will lap up.

Create an almost semi religious iconography around yourself. 

The rise of fascism in the mid 2010s is something we haven't adequately challenged. The response has been weak.

You missed off trumps maddest skill...convince the general population, which even that might be a stretch given who actually votes for him, that he's one of them 

• Like 3

And convincing them he'll make America great again despite it being a world leader in pretty much everything*

And that he's already had 4 years and pretty much nothing changed. 

* in fact with his insular inward looking policies he'll probably guarantee China overtakes the USA economy.  Biden has done an amazing job of onshoring tens of thousands of jobs and hundreds of companies in green technology which IS the future. Trump will likely stop or even reverse that and USA continue to rely on expensive, outdated technologies. 

Meanwhile the rest of the world and most especially China will push on and establish themselves in new cleaner cheaper industrial bases. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

And convincing them he'll make America great again despite it being a world leader in pretty much everything*

Especially:

• Incarceration rates
  • Gun deaths
  • Homelessness
  • Child poverty
  • Medical bankruptcy
  • Science illiteracy
  • Fascism
  • During the next term (regardless of president) the Supreme Court will probably make the US leaders in
    • Unwanted pregnancy rates
    • Teen pregnancy rates
    • Illegality of contraception
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, limpid said:

Especially:

• Incarceration rates
  • Gun deaths
  • Homelessness
  • Child poverty
  • Medical bankruptcy
  • Science illiteracy
  • Fascism
  • During the next term (regardless of president) the Supreme Court will probably make the US leaders in
    • Unwanted pregnancy rates
    • Teen pregnancy rates
    • Illegality of contraception

And a democratic system that's somehow less democratic than ours.

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â