U.S. Politics

maqroll

Any celebrities that are saying they will be leaving the USA, please don't come here. I've heard Saudi Arabia is a great place to promote your liberalism.  Also some soft clearing in the woods said it won't be long before the confederates flag will be flying everywhere. the last thing I'd call that flag is a racist symbol, but like the Union Jack it now offends people.

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Yep there is some good stuff and if I was in the rust belt I'd be fairly excited.  You can see why they voted him in.  Although there's no way he came up with that list, which just goes to show that it WILL be people in the background running the country while he tours the country like Elmo.

That's why people should not panic. He definitely won't be calling the shots.

11 minutes ago, Awol said:

Here's a fun thought...

Barry 'Nobel Peace Prize' Obama carried out the extra judicial murder of US citizens via drone strikes. Deciding who died and when was his call and his alone.

President Trump will inherit that executive privilege.  

Whoops.

I see no reason to believe that Donald J 'Torture works' Trump wouldn't continue the programme. Indeed, I would not be at all surprised to see him expand it.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

There's some good reasons for the electoral colleges being set up. When you consider a state like California, which is culturally distinct  from most of the rest of the US, and has a population that was well over a quarter of the voter turnout of the whole US, there is a worry that candidates that ignore most of the country and pander just to CA, and maybe NY, and win from those alone. If you look back in to the formation of the US, you can see why there was historically a massive concern about a couple of huge states dominating the others, which is what the electoral colleges help prevent. 

It's a pretty difficult problem to solve, and while on paper it looks wrong that a candidate can win the popular vote but lose the election, I'm not so sure than a pure popular vote for the president is necessarily the right option.

Of course, what it's actually done is stopped california being a problem, and created the swing state battlegrounds.

It's a pretty tough problem.

'What it's actually done', viewed from a different perspective, is make an individual vote in California almost utterly worthless. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

'What it's actually done', viewed from a different perspective, is make an individual vote in California almost utterly worthless. 

It's a fair point, it;s a similar problem to our FPTP issues. What would you suggest instead, a raw popular vote poll?

I can't help but feel all of the issues in the Cracked article a few pages back are amplified tenfold when pretty much every election would be won by whoever appeals to voters in a few cities.

That's arguably better than it basically just coming down to Florida and Ohio every time though. Democracy is kind of hard to implement properly without **** a lot of people over.

Edited by Davkaus

9 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I see no reason to believe that Donald J 'Torture works' Trump wouldn't continue the programme. Indeed, I would not be at all surprised to see him expand it.

...I think I might start using the wifi in Starbucks whenever I write mean things about our beloved overlord President Trump.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Also some soft clearing in the woods said it won't be long before the confederates flag will be flying everywhere. the last thing I'd call that flag is a racist symbol, but like the Union Jack it now offends people.

Please educate yourself before making such ridiculous comments. You're making yourself look very ignorant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modern_display_of_the_Confederate_flag#Revival_and_controversy

22 minutes ago, Awol said:

That's wrong, it was the official Leave campaign making that claim, not his unofficial group.

Any others? 

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-eu-referendum-nigel-farage-nhs-350-million-pounds-live-health-service-u-turn-a7102831.html

However footage from BBC Question Time on 9 June – just weeks before the referendum – shows the Ukip leader claiming the available cash was higher than £350 million and saying money should be spent on hospitals and GPs.

“Can we just get to the truth of this - £350 million a week is wrong, it’s higher than that,” he told the programme’s audience.

So he does make it, and made no such effort to correct  lies being made in his ( as in the argument for Leaving )  campaign's name yet would accuse the remainers of scaremongering. He could have spoken out against it any point during the campaign, but he didn't. He exploited and took advantage of misleading information. . Farage was UKIP Leader and also quite obviously the highest profile figure advocating that case, if you think he didn't have to make any comment on crap made in the leave name whilst also attacking the remain side, that's definitely an option open to you but it rather misses the overall point: he benefited from lies that he made no effort to correct and in the above instance appears to even explicitly own. 

Edited by Rodders

A bit of a tangent but:

Mexico F1 driver Sergio Perez dumps sponsor over tweet

Mexican Formula 1 driver Sergio Perez has dumped one of his sponsors for sending a disrespectful tweet about his compatriots.

Perez was incensed after sunglasses manufacturer Hawkers tweeted in the wake of Donald Trump's victory in the US election that Mexicans should buy its shades to hide their tears when Mr Trump began to build a border wall.

The driver said he would not allow anyone to make fun of his country.

Hawkers subsequently apologised.

One of the company's founders, David Moreno, published a video message on Twitter (in Spanish) saying that he and his team had committed "a grave error" and were sincerely sorry about the comment, which they have since erased from their Twitter feed.

He said the tweet had been "a joke, a joke in bad taste".

Perez had earlier tweeted: "What a bad comment, today I sever my links with @HawkersMX. I won't let anyone make fun of my country! #MexicoUnited

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

dwill.png

It's literally the flag flown by those who were fighting to uphold slavery in the civil war.

And the north never upheld slavery during the civil war? The US flag was flying over slavery a lot longer than the confederates flag ever was. You could point at countless flags and say the same thing. Like the Union Jack it got hijacked by both sides of the divide, those who were racist and those who thought it was racist. I don't view the confederates flag as racist at all.

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It got hijacked.

So did the swastika mate, it has a peaceful tradition going back thousands of years, but you just go and parade around with one in Germany and see what people think.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

...I think I might start using the wifi in Starbucks whenever I write mean things about our beloved overlord President Trump.

Whatever you do, don't log in to your betting account and ask William Hill what odds they'd give you on him not making it as far as inauguration day. ;):)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

So did the swastika mate, it has a peaceful tradition going back thousands of years, but you just go and parade around with one in Germany and see what people think.

I know it did. Hindus used the symbol if I'm correct.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â