U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I don't know that they are protesting about 'democracy failing'. are they?

They're protesting because they have such strong objections to the person who has won the presidency. They are showing their dismay at the result and I don't see why that's a problem. When it becomes violent and criminal then it becomes a problem but up until that time then surely they're free to continue to express their political views as is everyone else?

I think there's definitely an element of it. But also people protesting somebody with such openly bigoted views can get into power. Whether that just boils down into 'someone they don't like' I don't know.

I agree with you on all of your post btw.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hillary getting more votes and losing.

It isn't difficult. It isn't Trump's fault but is a fundamental failure of democracy. I'd say the same if it went the other way.

and FWIW I didn't particularly want Hillary to win.

that's still not a failure of democracy though , that's just a failure of the college system that America uses

If I was to argue that in  England  at the 2005 election the Tories received more votes in England than Blair did but Blair became PM , so it was a failure of democracy you'd be one of the first to laugh at me   ....   However , we could argue about the system that elected Blair , but thanks to Ed Miliband we don't have to have that argument any more  :) 

* yes I'm aware it wasn't his fault Scotchland bailed on the party

45 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Hillary getting more votes and losing.

It isn't difficult. It isn't Trump's fault but is a fundamental failure of democracy. I'd say the same if it went the other way.

and FWIW I didn't particularly want Hillary to win.

So what are you doing hiding in lodz? travel over there and show them how real democracy is done.

Edited by Ikantcpell

1 minute ago, Ikantcpell said:

So what are you doing hiding in lodz, travel over there and show them how real democracy is done.

What's me "hiding" in another country got to do with anything?

19 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It definitely should. That was my point at the end.

It's actually a bizarre system when you think about it.

I suppose defenders would say it tries to equal out representation across geography, otherwise rural voters would just get hammered every time, there'd be no focus at all in going to any state which didn't have a big city in it. The cracked article posted would probably support that sense of being forgotten.

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

I suppose defenders would say it tries to equal out representation across geography, otherwise rural voters would just get hammered every time, there'd be no focus at all in going to any state which didn't have a big city in it. The cracked article posted would probably support that sense of being forgotten.

Where we looking? I'm lazy but like to read. :)

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

What's me "hiding" in another country got to do with anything?

Maybe Hillary had won if you had explained to them before the election started that their voting system is wrong.

Maybe they are not as clever as you are.....

1 minute ago, Ikantcpell said:

Maybe Hillary had won if you had explained to them before the election started that their voting system is wrong.

...what

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ikantcpell said:

It's not about Hillary. No matter who won, the system is obviously flawed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I thought that was clear with the three times I said it.

I'm also lazy so not going back to check but fairly sure you said democracy was failing , not the system :P

Edited by tonyh29

There's some good reasons for the electoral colleges being set up. When you consider a state like California, which is culturally distinct  from most of the rest of the US, and has a population that was well over a quarter of the voter turnout of the whole US, there is a worry that candidates that ignore most of the country and pander just to CA, and maybe NY, and win from those alone. If you look back in to the formation of the US, you can see why there was historically a massive concern about a couple of huge states dominating the others, which is what the electoral colleges help prevent. 

It's a pretty difficult problem to solve, and while on paper it looks wrong that a candidate can win the popular vote but lose the election, I'm not so sure than a pure popular vote for the president is necessarily the right option.

Of course, what it's actually done is stopped california being a problem, and created the swing state battlegrounds.

It's a pretty tough problem.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â