U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

A lack of communication between people of differing political viewpoints is one of the contributing factors to our current political times.

I am sure there are people who can understand what Biden is saying, but there can't be many.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

what about lack of communication between people with no discernable political viewpoints or clear responses to direct questions?

Expecting clarity in an instant is a sad indictment of our times. Headlines, headlines, headlines... long live the sub!

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Expecting clarity in an instant is a sad indictment of our times. Headlines, headlines, headlines... long live the sub!

What about expecting direct answers to direct questions?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, villakram said:

The problem is mainly that you don't really seem to have ever realised that writing is a form of actual communication with other human beings! 

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

The problem is mainly that you don't really seem to have ever realised that writing is a form of actual communication with other human beings! 

The joys of the internet.

Meanwhile Washington continues to find money to bail out the financial system and the Ukraine war with a DoD budget approaching $1T while inflation runs rampant and real wages continue to fall. 

Trump, Trump, Trump... bwah bwah, answer our questions. Look, a frog!

5 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

The non-sequitur that proves the point, but hey, whatever.

So you’re basically saying we shouldn’t be concerning ourselves with a guy who tried to turn executive branch agencies into instruments of his own personal political agenda, withheld congressionally approved aid to a foreign country to get them to smear a political opponent, refused to accept defeat, pressured state election officials to fraudulently change vote counts and incited a mob to violently prevent democratic transfer of power for the first time, because you don’t like policies embraced by both parties in a two-party system.

I know which one I think is a bigger threat to the country and the world long term.

Yeah but the riddles are better

• Like 1

16 hours ago, villakram said:

A lack of communication between people of differing political viewpoints is one of the contributing factors to our current political times.

13 hours ago, villakram said:

Mine: The problem is mainly that you don't really seem to have ever realised that writing is a form of actual communication with other human beings! 

6 hours ago, villakram said:

One day the penny will drop.

8 hours ago, villakram said:

Meanwhile Washington continues to find money to bail out the financial system and the Ukraine war with a DoD budget approaching $1T while inflation runs rampant and real wages continue to fall. 

Trump, Trump, Trump... bwah bwah, answer our questions. Look, a frog!

Where? 

9 hours ago, villakram said:

What surprises me is that no party ever promises to tackle homelessness.

How can California, which has a GDP of $3.6 trillion have so many people living on the streets?

It has had a Democratic governor since 2010.

LA should rename a street Defecation Boulevard.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

What surprises me is that no party ever promises to tackle homelessness.

How can California, which has a GDP of $3.6 trillion have so many people living on the streets?

It has had a Democratic governor since 2010.

LA should rename a street Defecation Boulevard.

Despite the Republicans' name-calling, most Democrats, even in California, are capitalists-  just  more supportive of guardrails than the GOP.  And many of them have gotten quite wealthy by being pretty hard core capitalists.   I'm not sure they'd stay in power if they raised everyone's taxes hugely to deal with the problem.

And that's before even considering the fact that nobody is quite sure how they would solve the problem even if funding were not a concern.  I heard part of an interview with a doctor who's been trying to tackle homelessness and health care in Boston for years and he mentioned that they've had to rethink strategies because they originally figured they could make huge progress if they could only get a roof over people's heads and a permanent address, but they learned there's a lot more to it than that.  And it's not like there's a ready supply of trained mental health practitioners and social workers just waiting for the word to step in and help or facilities to house any programs that are set up.

The U.S. decided in the early '80's to make it much more difficult to keep people in mental institutions involuntarily, which was a huge win for individual rights and autonomy.   But it also put a lot of people out in society who have underlying issues that prevent them from functioning well.  Homelessness grew tremendously following that.   Obviously, there's also a large contingent of people who are homeless purely for financial reasons, and that problem is more of a money problem, but there is a housing shortage and a real resistance to building affordable housing despite state laws requiring it.  So money doesn't even solve that problem.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

Despite the Republicans' name-calling, most Democrats, even in California, are capitalists-  just  more supportive of guardrails than the GOP.  And many of them have gotten quite wealthy by being pretty hard core capitalists.   I'm not sure they'd stay in power if they raised everyone's taxes hugely to deal with the problem.

And that's before even considering the fact that nobody is quite sure how they would solve the problem even if funding were not a concern.  I heard part of an interview with a doctor who's been trying to tackle homelessness and health care in Boston for years and he mentioned that they've had to rethink strategies because they originally figured they could make huge progress if they could only get a roof over people's heads and a permanent address, but they learned there's a lot more to it than that.  And it's not like there's a ready supply of trained mental health practitioners and social workers just waiting for the word to step in and help or facilities to house any programs that are set up.

The U.S. decided in the early '80's to make it much more difficult to keep people in mental institutions involuntarily, which was a huge win for individual rights and autonomy.   But it also put a lot of people out in society who have underlying issues that prevent them from functioning well.  Homelessness grew tremendously following that.   Obviously, there's also a large contingent of people who are homeless purely for financial reasons, and that problem is more of a money problem, but there is a housing shortage and a real resistance to building affordable housing despite state laws requiring it.  So money doesn't even solve that problem.

I have followed a lot of YT channels on the state of some of the cities in the USA, and Kensington, Philadelphia is not untypical.

I see the destruction of the likes of Detroit as an indictment of profligate American capitalism.

The picture I have got of various schemes for solving, or at least mitigating homelessness, is that big promises are made, billions are put in, and it all results in failure.

I don't think there is much doubt that corruption is rife.

The problem might actually seems intractable that should not mean it should not be an election issue,

2 hours ago, MakemineVanilla said:

I have followed a lot of YT channels

Oh dear......

I see the destruction of the likes of Detroit as an indictment of profligate American capitalism.

Detroit suffered hugely after the '08 crash but is actually a success story now of how a city can bounce back, so no idea what you're on about there.

is that big promises are made, billions are put in, and it all results in failure.

Big promises are made? In politics? Really? Well knock me down with a feather. As you're new to this, results are also always seen through the lens of which party spent the billions.

I don't think there is much doubt that corruption is rife.

Based on what YouTube?

Edited by TheAuthority
  • Like 1

There isn't a magic bullet to solve homelessness, but from my experience working a little in the area there are broadly 4 types of homeless people on US streets. (Generalizations are far from ideal, but this is a sort of accepted, broad breakdown of things.)

Drug addiction and/or mental health issues - This is the hardest constituent to rehabilitate and get back to functioning member of society.

Runaways, usually from physical or sexual abuse - The group that needs the 2nd most support in order to reenter society as the abuse is usually directed at them from childhood.

Economic hardship - Made unemployed, no family to support them or savings to fall back on. However these folks can be back on their feet relatively quickly given the correct support.

Fourth group is folks who have decided that they don't want to be part of "normal" society. Living on the streets, however hard, is infinitely preferable for them as opposed to getting a job, mortgage, life insurance, yadadadadada.

Usually, "funding" from Federal sources basically means making grants available to existing organizations that are tackling the problem. The issue with this is normally under staffing, under training and ultimately one group is working completely uncoordinated fro m other groups. Essentially the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. So, for example, if you can get someone with mental health issues counseling and back on the correct medication, but there may be no resources for getting that person into a halfway house that is safe and where they can still be monitored.

There should be a national agency on homelessness IMO, but again, voters will vote for lower taxes, better roads, better schools, trans people not being allowed to go to a bathroom or not allow gay people to get married before they think about homelessness.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

So no arrest for the Orange one then. 

Eh? Has that been announced? Early US time so wasn’t expecting any announcement for a few hours yet if it was today.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â