U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Just like all Trump voters are racist right?

It's easy to make generalisations.

No not all are racists,A large portion aren't. Most politicians if not all are hypocrites though. They go back on promises and they also agree or do things that they wouldn't normally agree with if they were normal day to day folk. But that's politics for you.

11 minutes ago, BOF said:

TBH I suspected someone might have because it's so good, but there were so many pages written in this thread since I've been back that I couldn't really check them all.  Soz.  Hat-tip to Stefan :P

That's fine, I've pinned the feel good medal onto my chest now :P

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If ever one screenshot summed him up. An oppurtunistic hypocrite.

" the loser one "

I'm not angry ... I'm just disappointed that none of VT's finest picked up on this

10 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

" the loser one "

I'm not angry ... I'm just disappointed that none of VT's finest picked up on this

I think it just shows the multitude of idiotic comments in those tweets that it was missed :P

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's just appointed Myron Ebell, a prominent climate change skeptic, as head of his Environmental Protection Agency transition team.

I thought VT loved a sceptic , the other threads constantly talk of how our governments lie to us and aren't to be trusted

there is some flawed science out there ,so maybe a sceptic is the best person to put in charge , rather than say an eco warrior type  that tells the public they are as bad as stabbing someone  if they take their kids to Spain on a plane and then fly's to Israel for a "fact finding mission"

Edited by tonyh29

48 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is the best attempt I've read from someone trying to explain why America really voted for Trump and where the discontent came from.  Must say it opened my eyes to an extent and has made me adjust some of my thinking.  It's a bit long but well worth taking in.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind - 6 reasons for Trump's rise that no-one is talking about

Not sure how much we can criticize people for their antiquated mentalities when it's seems like large swathes of the U.S. is quite literally stuck in the 1950's. How did they let things get to that point?

• Like 1

Approaching established policy with a critical mind can be a good thing, but I'd say this goes too far. 

He's a self-confessed layman that acknowledges he has no background in science, but thinks he should have a say anyway because "isn't that what representative democracy is", which is a bit too close to "we're fed up of experts" for me.

With an established global scientific concensus regarding the time we have to limit the temperature rise to 2 degrees, I'm not sure pushing more fossil fuels is a sane idea. Maybe it does need more scrutiny, but if there's plausible evidence that we're extremely limtied in the time we have to make changes, with almost every informed scientist agreeing, I'm not inclined to support policies that advocate more use of fossil fuels based upon the gut feelings of a layman. Especially a layman that has been appointed by a president that literally claimed on several occasions that climate change is a myth invented by China...I'm not sure I trust his judgment or ability to remain impartial. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

On the one hand, I think protesting against the electoral college system is fair enough.

The problem is that people only want to do it when they're on the losing side. Electoral reform never looks so appealing when you've just won due to the current system.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

Meanwhile, as predicted. The new reality on the streets.EDIT Longer version where they stole his car and drove off while he was clinging to it.

Concealed carry FTW. Filth.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BOF said:

Meanwhile liberals riot against democracy.  My ironyometer won't even accept that as a premise.

To be fair here, Trump lost by vote percentage. That is totally against democracy.

It's the same rules that all elections previously have been run by though, and you can bet that if the results had been flipped around, we'd have Trump supporters out riotting, Trump publicly declaring it rigged and anti-democracy, while Clinton and her supportes condemn people for not respecting the American electoral process.

It needs someone who actually wins the bloody thing to do something about it.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's the same rules that all elections previously have been run by though, and you can bet that if the results had been flipped around, we'd have Trump supporters out riotting, Trump publicly declaring it rigged and anti-democracy, while Clinton and her supportes condemn people for not respecting the American electoral process.

It needs someone who actually wins the bloody thing to do something about it.

It hasn't happened for the Repubs though. It has for the Democrats. Twice.

I know what you're saying though, and agree to an extent.

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

I thought VT loved a sceptic , the other threads constantly talk of how our governments lie to us and aren't to be trusted

there is some flawed science out there ,so maybe a sceptic is the best person to put in charge , rather than say an eco warrior type  that tells the public they are as bad as stabbing someone  if they take their kids to Spain on a plane and then fly's to Israel for a "fact finding mission"

Scepticism is good.  But in the phrase "climate change sceptic" it generally means someone who denies what is commonly accepted as scientific fact, in order to serve the interests of the oil industry.  Which is bad.  An actual climate change sceptic would be someone like Piers Corbyn, who has reviewed the scientific evidence and disagrees with it for reasons which almost all scientists think are wrong, but are at least cogent.  Someone like Nigel Lawson however is just a tool of the oil industry, spouting lies without a care for addressing the evidence.

I've never heard of this Ebell person, but I would be astonished if he were a genuine sceptic and not a shill.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â