U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

No. Young people and non-whites tend to live in cities where protest marches make more sense than a bunch of farmers marching down Main Street in Bumf*ck, USA.

No excuse. If people were really that pissed off about Clinton winning they would protest. 

the country voted in a narcissist who's openly abusive to women, a sexist, mysogynist, racist, idiot, willfully ignorant of world politics. As a symbol, it's a symbol of monumental failure on behalf of the american populace. a failure of the system, a failure of the media, a failure of the culture, the education, the politics, the economics and all the rest. It's twilight zone insanity. The guy has said the most outrageous quotes insulting anyone who isn't white, and come up with ludicrous policy ideas. Sure it'll pass, someone else will replace him eventually, but a revolting human being, a bully of all stripes, a liar, a tax dodger, a coward has been voted suitable to hold Presidential office. There is nothing good that is indicated by that "human" winning a vote. It's despair inducing, and a fundamental indictment of the failure of capitalist west. To dismiss it as something that will just blow over is to show a complete disregard for anything of any value whatsoever. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

the country voted in a narcissist who's openly abusive to women, a sexist, mysogynist, racist, idiot, willfully ignorant of world politics. As a symbol, it's a symbol of monumental failure on behalf of the american populace. a failure of the system, a failure of the media, a failure of the culture, the education, the politics, the economics and all the rest. It's twilight zone insanity. The guy has said the most outrageous quotes insulting anyone who isn't white, and come up with ludicrous policy ideas. Sure it'll pass, someone else will replace him eventually, but a revolting human being, a bully of all stripes, a liar, a tax dodger, a coward has been voted suitable to hold Presidential office. There is nothing good that is indicated by that "human" winning a vote. It's despair inducing, and a fundamental indictment of the failure of capitalist west. To dismiss it as something that will just blow over is to show a complete disregard for anything of any value whatsoever. 

He's a circus clown, albeit a very powerful and unpredictable one, but he's not Richard Nixon, or even GWB. The people we need to watch are the ones he'll appoint to his cabinet. 

7 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

No excuse. If people were really that pissed off about Clinton winning they would protest. 

It's just reality. the majority of his support came from rural areas. Even Omaha Nebraska voted Clinton, but it's because it's a city. It's hard to muster up a protest march in Huckleberryville.

Just now, Rodders said:

Ok he has some right wing views  which I don't personally agree with, but anyone that thinks he will be able to implement those views and ideas entirely are wrong. He's president of America, but he's far from being the man who says what happens. He's no Putin. For me personally I'd rather see the uk in particular and it's other western allies become a bit more conservative in its ways.

• Like 1

re @maqroll yes, that's true I accept he's not as ideologically destructive as a Nixon or a Reagan at all. He's certainly unpredictable, and may do none of the stupid shit he said to get voted in, but at the same time, it has opened the floodgates to politicians not worrying about the consequences of insulting large groups of people in the future. Or as no doubt some people think -"how refreshing to have someone who isn't pc, I always wanted to feel it was perfectly fine to mock a disabled person and insult women" etc 

and of course, as per the graph on the previous page, it's obvious he's not supported by the whole country, or even half of it. less than 50% of the popular vote went to him, and with turnout of about half, that's only a quarter of the electorate actively supporting Trump, and furthermore when seen via age, the 18-25 group aka the future pretty much universally voted for Clinton across 90% of all the states too. So, one trusts it's a blip, an accident of fate brought about by the ineptitude of Clinton's campaign. 

Edited by Rodders
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

It's just reality. the majority of his support came from rural areas. Even Omaha Nebraska voted Clinton, but it's because it's a city. It's hard to muster up a protest march in Huckleberryville.

I've heard huckleberryville can get a bit  dodgy .

• Like 1

It's kind of disappointing that a huge portion of the population clearly wanted neither of them, with the lowest voter turnout percentage ever for a presidential election, yet people still couldn't be bothered to look in to third party candidates. Gary Johnson got 3%, another couple and they'd have recieved federal funding and equal ballot access. It's not a wasted vote when it could have helped pave the way to a genuine third party, especially if you don't like either of the main candidates and aren't going to bother to vote.

• Like 1

He's a bit of a tool, I'd go for a third party choice rather than not voting, he's not going to be there forever, but I can see why you wouldn't want to vote for him.

It's just a shame people seem content to let the two party state continue, if a third party can't get over 5% this eyar I can't see it ever happening.

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

This is the best attempt I've read from someone trying to explain why America really voted for Trump and where the discontent came from.  Must say it opened my eyes to an extent and has made me adjust some of my thinking.  It's a bit long but well worth taking in.

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind - 6 reasons for Trump's rise that no-one is talking about

Superb. In a lot of ways it explains how myself and many other people I know feel. Obviously Britain and America although similar in ways are worlds apart. For someone like myself who has trouble explaining why I feel like I do, this sums it up to a degree. I look at the world, especially out part of the world and I kind of long for days gone by. You know, how things used to be.

Edited by Rugeley Villa
  • Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I posted that a few pages back BOF ;)

TBH I suspected someone might have because it's so good, but there were so many pages written in this thread since I've been back that I couldn't really check them all.  Soz.  Hat-tip to Stefan :P

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â