U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, tonyh29 said:

So basically it's the hipsters fault :)

watching it last night on Tv they did seem to question Trump visiting some of the states as if he was aimlessly wandering about , possibly he got it right ( or his strategy team )

yep

Democrats felt 'key demographic' meant the 18% black population with a relatively poor turn out record, youth with a poor turn out record, the 13% of latinos....

Trump decided perhaps the 70% block of the voters might actually be a 'key demographic'. He then had little bonuses like managing to increase the Republican share of latino votes. **** knows how! But he did.

Who knows, perhaps the Mexicans / latinos that are already legitimately in the southern U.S. saw an opportunity to get jobs building a wall and a chance to pull up the drawbridge to the promised land... to have just presumed all blacks and latinos are natural Democrats, well, perhaps that's borderline racist?

8 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Interesting times.

The hope has to be that Trump is a puppet and plays the frontman more than many might expect. Still I suspect that this will end up being one of those administrations that don't get looked back on fondly. It is astounding anyone voted for such an unpleasant and underqualified individual. But so.

I'm more interested in what this says for western democracy though. The temptation is to say this is solely a rejection of the establishment but I think there might be more to see in this than that in time. Certainly there's a gap in the political world that the left should be clearing up in, but they aren't.

Progressive politics needs a global disaster, a drastic rethink at engaging the common man, or it will be consigned to thought experiments. Sadly.

Simply there doesn't seem to be a shy left vote out there in the same way there is a shy right one.  I really don't think there is a huge untapped group of people out there looking for progressive politics.  The problem is that the establishment have misjudged that and I expect it to get messier in Europe over the next few years too as the EU seem intent on ignoring the problems a huge amount of people have over freedom of movement, as well as other factors, despite losing the UK.

55 minutes ago, Rodders said:

fortunately they don't have the guns. Always safer to piss off the left. 

True enough. They are not going to get very far with their frapacchinos and hemp slippers when the other side have assault, sorry hunting rifles ;)

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

So basically it's the hipsters fault :)

watching it last night on Tv they did seem to question Trump visiting some of the states as if he was aimlessly wandering about , possibly he got it right ( or his strategy team )

There were a lot of people who said some deeply stupid things about where Trump was campaigning. 'Ha ha ha how ridiculous of him to campaign in Michigan'. Certainly a few of those people need a sharp word with themselves. 

50 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

I bet I can guess the chant if Mexico win a free kick just outside the box!

i think most usa supporters voted clinton...they tend to be college educated and internationalist, unlike your typical nfl fan

but who the **** knows anymore, i thought clinton would win in a landslide

Edited by maqroll

17 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Cw1bPulWEAAXOsL.jpg

highlights how unpopular both of them were. Trump "mobilised" support very well, yet still got less than Romney and McCain (?) . Looks like a fairly big rejection of HRC too. 

That graph says it all. What a terrible election cycle. 

I see all the celebrity luvvies are in melt down and there are violent protests by Hilary Clinton supporters in the states. Also the black lives matter brigade have hit London. Everyone is a racist again. Get over yourselves. I always see the left has more violent than the right. If Clinton would of won, would we see all these angry scenes?  Hitler has not re awoken and it's not going to be as extreme as people think, it never is. 

16 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I loved Trump's speech where he thanked everyone alive other than his running mate stood next to him.

Perhaps he intends to get rid of Pence and select a Vice President through the Apprentice...

It may have been someone else, but I think it was Pence who spoke before Trump yesterday. He pretty much did all congratulating of himself needed!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

to have just presumed all blacks and latinos are natural Democrats, well, perhaps that's borderline racist?

I'll tell you what is racist, from the flip side; Trump won the election because "white, non-college-educated men turned out to vote for him". In fact, it's racist, sexist and discriminative against those who haven't been able to afford a college education. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

It may have been someone else, but I think it was Pence who spoke before Trump yesterday. He pretty much did all congratulating of himself needed!

He did but if you get the chance watch the end of Trump's speech again, check out Pence's face and the moment Trump notices him. Amusing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If Clinton would of won, would we see all these angry scenes?   

Absolutely, incontrovertibly, without the slightest doubt ever. She is despised more so than Trump and the people hate her have the guns and include a large swathe of racists and misogynists. The handful of arrests from a several thousand protests would have been nothing compared to the right. The left were not threatening a coup if Trump won, the right were - the **** weird militia mentalists talking about overthrowing the government are found exclusively on the extreme right. The left are just looking to leave the country - understandably of course. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

If Clinton would of won, would we see all these angry scenes? 

No. Young people and non-whites tend to live in cities where protest marches make more sense than a bunch of farmers marching down Main Street in Bumf*ck, USA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Absolutely, incontrovertibly, without the slightest doubt ever. She is despised more so than Trump and the people hate her have the guns and include a large swathe of racists and misogynists. The handful of arrests from a several thousand protests would have been nothing compared to the right. The left were not threatening a coup if Trump won, the right were - the **** weird militia mentalists talking about overthrowing the government are found exclusively on the extreme right. The left are just looking to leave the country - understandably of course. 

You've been reading the guardian too much ;) seriously though, what was the reaction when Obama was made president? I honestly have no idea. But he seemed to get along ok. I think there is a massive over reaction from the left, per usual. Celebrities calling for revolution? Come on man, everything will be just fine. Sign of the times I'm afraid.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â