U.S. Politics

maqroll

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I'm still not convinced who to vote for here. Trump is saying American steel will be used to build new American bridges...

He used Chinese steel for Trump Tower.

I hate this whole 'you lost, we won, stop whining' attitude. Even this 'we need to unite for America!'. The president elect ran the most divisive campaign in history. You can't expect people just to accept it and move on immediately.

That's the sort of attitude that caused millions of deaths in WW2.

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree entirely, the man is horrible, the man is a brash egotistical bully. Everything we tell our kids not to be.

From the early stats (that might well change when they've had time to pick through it), from what I've heard, he increased the hispanic vote for the republican party. He got 43% of the female vote. 43% of women heard him say he grabs women by the pussy, and voted for him. 13% of hispanics heard how they were drug pushing rapists, and voted for him.

As always, it would appear those hipster youths that shout a lot about progressive policies, well, they didn't quite get around to voting in quite the numbers forecast.

From memory, and I could be wrong and will doubtless be corrected if I am wrong, but Hillary is quite hawkish on military intervention and was very pro TTIP. Would you / I vote for the pro TTIP candidate? Ship out more jobs, rely more on Chinese steel? Open tariff free trade with countries where children will work for 14p an hour?

With the limited knowledge I have, if I'd had a vote, I probably wouldn't have used it.

I could have voted for Bernie, but he apparently was hussled out of a fair crack at it...by Hillary.

I did wonder if the grey votes on the bar were basically what lost it for Clinton ? 

Have they said where the independent votes came from ?

i wouldn't have voted for Clinton , they charged me £4.99 for a birthday card once and I don't forget things like that 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stefan, where are those numbers from - are they exit polls? It seems exit polls didn't do so well.

Polls generally didn't do well.

There was a shamefaced series of tweets today from Rob Ford, politico/statto, saying his profession had wrongly predicted five major elections in the last two years.  This doesn't include the "shy tories" phenomenon.

An article in the grauniad goes some way to explain this, with the reducing number of people willing to answer questions and also in possession of a landline.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stefan, where are those numbers from - are they exit polls? It seems exit polls didn't do so well.

they are from 25000 people in exit polls.

May aswell just make any number up at all as 25,000 out of 100 million who may have just said whatever they thought people wanted to hear isn't exactly reliable

2 hours ago, TheStagMan said:

That's not the point though is it. If they (the "Right wing Anti PC brigade") were coming out and saying things lumping all manner of people together in a stereotype, they would be/are (rightly) berated for it, but when it is in the other direction, it is open season. "Your white and middle class, everything is your fault and you are a racist" is basically the theme of that article, and therefore you are wrong and aren't entitled to a say.

Just like the left wing liberals all love democracy until the vote goes against them. If it was Trump supporters rioting in the streets, the condemnation would be absolute, but because it is left wing students and Hillary supporters, its being covered like they are the champions of humanity. 

For what it is worth, I am not in support of Trump. What I am in support of is democracy - WHATEVER the result (even if I don't like it). I am also for people being treated equally regardless of their skin colour (including people whose skin is white). The whole thing is just a **** up from start to finish. Neither Trump nor Hillary should have been anywhere near this contest. The two worst possible candidates. It was  like neither side wanted to win!

Well said Sir, exactly how i feel about it all.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Recreational marijuana is now legal in my home state and adopted state. Could help ease the pain of this.

I see your profile says, under location, "in the weeds"  Might want to remove the "s".

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I did wonder if the grey votes on the bar were basically what lost it for Clinton ? 

Have they said where the independent votes came from ?

i wouldn't have voted for Clinton , they charged me £4.99 for a birthday card once and I don't forget things like that 

I've only had the quickest of looks through the figures, many of the votes aren't actually counted yet!

There are a good few states, where figures suggest the difference between the two was tiny, and the independent made a difference.

Michigan: Clinton lost by 0.3% to Trump, the independent took 5.1%, so that's 16 electoral college votes to Trump not Clinton

Similar figures in Wisconsin, another 10 electoral votes

In fact, across the whole country, Clinton has the greater total of votes, perhaps her tactics on identifying key states were wrong. Perhaps Trump had a better strategy on where to campaign.

I think overall, the number of votes cast is down about 10 million on 2012. I think the Democrat post election debrief meeting will be a very sober affair. 

Might also be worth considering that 25 million votes were cast during the period the FBI said she was under investigation...

Edited by chrisp65

Interesting times.

The hope has to be that Trump is a puppet and plays the frontman more than many might expect. Still I suspect that this will end up being one of those administrations that don't get looked back on fondly. It is astounding anyone voted for such an unpleasant and underqualified individual. But so.

I'm more interested in what this says for western democracy though. The temptation is to say this is solely a rejection of the establishment but I think there might be more to see in this than that in time. Certainly there's a gap in the political world that the left should be clearing up in, but they aren't.

Progressive politics needs a global disaster, a drastic rethink at engaging the common man, or it will be consigned to thought experiments. Sadly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I've only had the quickest of looks through the figures, many of the votes aren't actually counted yet!

There are a good few states, where figures suggest the difference between the two was tiny, and the independent made a difference.

Michigan: Clinton lost by 0.3% to Trump, the independent took 5.1%, so that's 16 electoral college votes to Trump not Clinton

Similar figures in Wisconsin, another 10 electoral votes

In fact, across the whole country, Clinton has the greater total of votes, perhaps her tactics on identifying key states were wrong. Perhaps Trump had a better strategy on where to campaign.

I think overall, the number of votes cast is down about 10 million on 2012. I think the Democrat post election debrief meeting will be a very sober affair. 

So basically it's the hipsters fault :)

watching it last night on Tv they did seem to question Trump visiting some of the states as if he was aimlessly wandering about , possibly he got it right ( or his strategy team )

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â