U.S. Politics

maqroll

My hope is that his NYC roots keep him grounded in a social liberalism that most of his party is opposed to. He isn't an ideologue, and with any luck, he'll try to move things to the center.

His daughter seems like a reasonable person, and is also his closest confidant. I hope she's a steadying influence.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

A loser is someone that loses money and cannot make his money back, something I dont associate Trump with. He might be a lot of things, but a loser is not one of them

He's lost money and not made it back.  He inherited a fortune, and has reduced it through his business ventures.

Along the way, he has stiffed a lot of people, folding his business ventures without paying them what he owes, or returning what they have trustingly invested.

If you google "Trump business failures" you will find many articles explaining this in detail.  Here's just one snippet from one article, Newsweek:

Lost contracts, bankruptcies, defaults, deceptions and indifference to investors—Trump’s business career is a long, long list of such troubles, according to regulatory, corporate and court records, as well as sworn testimony and government investigative reports. Call it the art of the bad deal, one created by the arrogance and recklessness of a businessman whose main talent is self-promotion.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Stefan, where are those numbers from - are they exit polls? It seems exit polls didn't do so well.

Yep, and the exit polls are skewing so it's showing that there were less white voters than there actually were. So the numbers could be wildly inaccurate. I think, based on how the exit polls have been wrong, the numbers for white males/females are higher than reported there.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I agree entirely, the man is horrible, the man is a brash egotistical bully. Everything we tell our kids not to be.

From the early stats (that might well change when they've had time to pick through it), from what I've heard, he increased the hispanic vote for the republican party. He got 43% of the female vote. 43% of women heard him say he grabs women by the pussy, and voted for him. 13% of hispanics heard how they were drug pushing rapists, and voted for him.

As always, it would appear those hipster youths that shout a lot about progressive policies, well, they didn't quite get around to voting in quite the numbers forecast.

From memory, and I could be wrong and will doubtless be corrected if I am wrong, but Hillary is quite hawkish on military intervention and was very pro TTIP. Would you / I vote for the pro TTIP candidate? Ship out more jobs, rely more on Chinese steel? Open tariff free trade with countries where children will work for 14p an hour?

With the limited knowledge I have, if I'd had a vote, I probably wouldn't have used it.

I could have voted for Bernie, but he apparently was hussled out of a fair crack at it...by Hillary.

Less by Hillary, more by the DNC.

I'd vote for Hillary just to keep out Trump. I think he's that toxic.

Re: Women vote, over 50% of white women voted for him. Probably more as exit polls were skewed. That's crazy to me.

2 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Trump was all but finished when he decided to leverage his name. It's all smoke and mirrors. He's licensed his name, it's all celebrity nonsense. We've elected a fraud.

And for more celebrity nonsense - get you money on Michelle Obama for 46th President today while the odds are still good.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

And for more celebrity nonsense - get you money on Michelle Obama for 46th President today while the odds are still good.

I doubt she'll want to go through all that again. Look for Elizabeth Warren to run.

• Like 1

The US is probably in trouble.

The hope is whilst he's looking inward, they'll be a bit less bomby and generally destabilising globally.

Wonder what Israel makes of him?

I mean, they'll go "Hooray Trump", but they would have gone "Hooray Hillary".

He's so random, Israel pisses him off... Who knows?

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I'd vote for Hillary just to keep out Trump. I think he's that toxic.

Which is a perfectly legitimate thought process, but extrapolating that thinking across to the U.K. (and I guess, across America) that action would be more likely to close the local steel industry, as Hilary (or Theresa) do a deal with China that they can dump cheap steel and our financial institutions can sell them some complicated insurance product. 

Not a problem on paper, they make money, we make money, world trade, everybody's GDP numbers up.  

Except, what it actually means is that Port Talbot steelworks is closed down. A town of 37,000 souls with no industry, nobody to buy a theatre ticket, nobody to make breakfast bacon rolls for. As compensation, some high flying Canadian guy, working for a Swiss firm can have a 7 million pound apartment in London and sell American insurance to a Chinese factory. Apparently, if you don't like that, you could be a racist pig. Some are. But not every last one of the predominantly white working class people of Port Talbot.

I'm still not convinced who to vote for here. Trump is saying American steel will be used to build new American bridges...But he's an absolute tool.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

How do we improve it though?

The answer isn't disregarding the black lives matter movement and introducing more stop and frisk, that's for sure.

Yep, I'm completely with you on that. 

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â