U.S. Politics

maqroll

Just now, Straggler said:

I think you would get on really well with my wife.  I don't agree with her either, but then I lose most of my arguments at home.  She was saying months ago that Trump would win because she has not faith in the humanity of people in general.

There's a reason you lose those arguments ;) And maybe watch more earth-related documentaries :P

There's a tipping point where you become a misanthrope. 

• Like 1

Just now, mjmooney said:

Godwin's Law is hereby suspended. OK, I'm a treehugging pinko, so naturally I was dismayed by the election of Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Thatcher, Cameron, etc. This is immeasurably worse. Even the worst of them had some semblance of intelligence and pragmatic moderation. This guy is a stupid, loathsome and dangerous individual. As with Brexit, Pandora's Box has been opened, and some very nasty stuff has already started spewing forth. The parallels with fascism in the 1930s are absolutely NOT an overreaction, they are bang on the money. 

Shit just got real, and reality just got shit. This will not end well. 

heh, like minds etc. 

Financial crisis on a large scale check - ignoring the actual problems of the crisis and deflecting onto the poorer communities inviting divide and conquer check - active use of propaganda vehicles to maintain the ostracism of communities to avoid actual change and re-enforce the powerful status quo - check - erosion of liberties and moral values - check, check, check... deployment of violence to restrain protests - check - in ever larger proportions - we shall see.

5 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

The parallels with fascism in the 1930s are absolutely NOT an overreaction, they are bang on the money. 

Shit just got real, and reality just got shit. This will not end well. 

Yep, just replace 'Jews' with 'Muslims' and there you go.

I'm not saying he would do this, or that it would happen, but do you think if Donald started creating camps tomorrow and putting Muslims into them, his rabid nationalistic fanbase would speak up about it? When the 'progressive left' speak up about it, won't we just be told that we're PC and Muslims are dangerous?

I know it's a hugely improbable scenario but I don't think it's implausible by any stretch especially based on policy which Hitler started with ID badges for Jews. Trump already said he wants to do the same with Muslims.

Edited by StefanAVFC
  • Like 1

in case the post is misconstrued, I am not saying Trump will seek to kill 6 million muslims. It's not on that scale in that sense, but the other parallels are still sufficiently horrifying to hold up. Not just there though, I fear the symbolism will only further spread the collapse of Europe 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

It's disgusting that a protest voice is a voice for a guy who is, or has been openly misogynistic, xenophobic and sexist.

But begrudgingly @blandy I think you have a point in the case of the US and the UK. But as we've seen that this protest vote has happened in two major countries, with the aftermath of the protest being a shift to the right in people's opinions. What happens if Le Pen wins in France? She's not an anti-establishment candidate. I think that'll be the litmus test whether this phase of nationalism really is just a protest vote or whether it's taken hold of the planet properly.

I'm worried.

France is already quite openly right wing.  "Alternative for Germany" should be interesting too.

Just now, BOF said:

France is already quite openly right wing.  "Alternative for Germany" should be interesting too.

Britain is also 'quite openly right wing' what will electing the Tories. But we'll see how far down the rabbit hole we go when France, then Germany have their elections. You can't use the anti-establishment 'excuse' when you have a candidate like Le Pen on the ballot. She's the establishment but represents the views held by Trump/Leave x10000.

9 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Godwin's Law is hereby suspended.

It doesn't need to be suspended as the law only applies to "inappropriate and hyperbolic" comparisons to old shitty 'tache.  This is definitely not an inappropriate and hyperbolic comparison! (unfortunately)

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

I think you have a better perspective on that than most here, having lived through both World Wars and all :P

But only a vague recollection of the Boer war as he was only a nipper :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peterms said:

Pretty much a loser in some ways.  He has a string of business failures behind him, and he's now worth less than if he had simply put in a savings bank the vast fortune he inherited and watched the interest roll in.  But his supporters seem to think he's some kind of master of commerce.

A loser is someone that loses money and cannot make his money back, something I dont associate Trump with. He might be a lot of things, but a loser is not one of them

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yep, just replace 'Jews' with 'Muslims' and there you go.

I'm not saying he would do this, or that it would happen, but do you think if Donald started creating camps tomorrow and putting Muslims into them, his rabid nationalistic fanbase would speak up about it? When the 'progressive left' speak up about it, won't we just be told that we're PC and Muslims are dangerous?

I know it's a hugely improbable scenario but I don't think it's implausible by any stretch.

Not at all. Hitler never even publicised the Final Solution. 

11 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think you have a better perspective on that than most here, having lived through both World Wars and all :P

(Staight face)... My parents did. And I've spent most of my life studying 20th Century history. 

• Like 3

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â