U.S. Politics

maqroll

14 minutes ago, Awol said:

@Straggler Thing is if they'd voted for Clinton or the UK had voted Remain it's taken as an endorsement of the status quo.

Its necessary to utterly reject the prevailing dogma and kick them in the teeth in order for the political elites to reform at all. 

If they still don't get the message then they'll rightly fade into obscurity and irrelevance to be replaced by new actors.

I agree with you Awol.  The status quo is not satisfactory, but my concern is that in order to give the establishment a kicking we are turning to the nationalist movement to provide it. There is no credible opposition to either of these positions that represents me.  In my mind we are going from bad to worse.  There needs to be another option which can offer fairness to the disenfranchised, but does not rely on demonising others.  Granted adding my voice into the mix is like peeing in the ocean and expecting it to change colour, but I can't just sit and do nothing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

I don't think it does.

Given a choice between an establishment crook and a political outsider who promised to shake it all up, they chose the loose cannon.

What has the establishment done for them (the same applies over here) for the past decade?  - nothing - they've been pandering to the elite bankers and so on.

It reflects incredibly badly on "the system". Same as Brexit. When the system shafts people, eventually they will throw a spanner into the machine.

I guess it then says something about the almost overwhelmingly white voters who rolled the dice and flipped the bird at the establishment knowing full well it would be at the expense of the minorities.

I blame Tyson Fury.

A little under 12 months ago a fat, self proclaimed gypsy king beat the world robot boxing champion. Since then a ginger haired 44 year old englishman has lived in space for 185 days, Leicester won the premier league, Britain did better in the olympics than china/russia, Germany/Europe dismantled borders to let in as many migrants as were able to come, then changed their mind a bit once they realised that there were really rather a lot. Britain voted out of the EU & Now a man that very few people like (including many who voted for him) that really isn't even a politician is in charge of one of the most powerful countries in the world.

To top it all it would seem that 2016 is the year that 75,383 celebrities have decided to die.

Paddy power are currently offering 80/1 on alien life being proven in 2016, It would seem to be a safe bet that martians will land on the white house lawn on C̶h̶r̶i̶s̶t̶m̶a̶s̶ ̶D̶a̶y̶ Winter festival day

Clinton is slightly ahead in the popular vote with the results announced so far, despite being way behind in electoral college votes. 

I don't like FPTP systems, but I can understand them when electing local representatives. It seems like madness when the whole country is voting for the same thing.

• Like 1

It's disgusting that a protest voice is a voice for a guy who is, or has been openly misogynistic, xenophobic and sexist.

But begrudgingly @blandy I think you have a point in the case of the US and the UK. But as we've seen that this protest vote has happened in two major countries, with the aftermath of the protest being a shift to the right in people's opinions. What happens if Le Pen wins in France? She's not an anti-establishment candidate. I think that'll be the litmus test whether this phase of nationalism really is just a protest vote or whether it's taken hold of the planet properly.

I'm worried.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Straggler said:

The results of this election and the Brexit vote have really begun to shift my opinion on humanity as a whole.  I've had the good fortune to travel round a lot of the world and found kindness and good people everywhere I went.  Living abroad too gave me a real sensation that in the main people are generous and fair minded.

Our species is inherently selfish, violent and ugly.  There are exceptions of course.  Plenty of them.  But we're still savages.  Look at everything we do.  Look at what we do to the planet.  For every person trying to fix it there are thousands cutting it down, burning it, killing it etc.  We vote for who can do the most for me me me, not for us.  Again, there are exceptions, but to me humanity on the whole is a very ugly parasite and that will never change.  Ever.

Doesn't mean I can't enjoy life with the good people, but don't be fooled as to what (the collective) 'we' are fundamentally.

I'm kicking myself for not putting money on it. On the radio last night someone was saying that polls, which have generally been wrong, were very close. One guy was saying that like with Brexit there are a lot of 'shy brexiteers'. Those who plan to vote that way but don't tell anyone for risk of being branded. He said it was possibly the same in the US, many were either lying or refusing to saying who was getting their vote. In the car I really thought Trump was a possibility based on this and should have chucked a £20 at it :angry:

Edited by Genie

Godwin's Law is hereby suspended. OK, I'm a treehugging pinko, so naturally I was dismayed by the election of Nixon, Reagan, Bush, Thatcher, Cameron, etc. This is immeasurably worse. Even the worst of them had some semblance of intelligence and pragmatic moderation. This guy is a stupid, loathsome and dangerous individual. As with Brexit, Pandora's Box has been opened, and some very nasty stuff has already started spewing forth. The parallels with fascism in the 1930s are absolutely NOT an overreaction, they are bang on the money. 

Shit just got real, and reality just got shit. This will not end well. 

• Like 4

It feels sort of cyclical that this sort of shit is happening right on the final fringes of the living memory to the second world war and the holocaust. Like enough time has passed where it's ok to do all that shit again. Obviously it's no longer ever going to be as crude as that, but demonisation, blame, and violence is going to happen - well it already has been as the black, muslim and LGBT community will obviously testify to. No doubt the right wing media will be reporting on an awful lot of "lone wolfs", and trying to blame just a minority of screw-ups, and ignoring the fact the social context has created an environment for their violent spirit to thrive unchecked. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

Our species is inherently selfish, violent and ugly.  There are exceptions of course.  Plenty of them.  But we're still savages.  Look at everything we do.  Look at what we do to the planet.  For every person trying to fix it there are thousands cutting it down, burning it, killing it etc.  We vote for who can do the most for me me me, not for us.  Again, there are exceptions, but to me humanity on the whole is a very ugly parasite and that will never change.  Ever.

I think you would get on really well with my wife.  I don't agree with her either, but then I lose most of my arguments at home.  She was saying months ago that Trump would win because she has not faith in the humanity of people in general.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â