U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 minute ago, limpid said:

And Trump denies global warming. So maybe "Extinction Don"?

Trump's an irredeemable word removed. There is nothing good about him. 

Doesn't negate America being complicit in the smearing of children across the walls of Palestine at high velocity at sickening pace.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chindie said:

'America' doesn't give a flying **** about dead Palestinians unfortunately and there's not going to be a candidate that changes that.

People love to generalize Americans as all sorts of things on VT and I just ignore it (born in the black country and became a US citizen 2016 primarily so I could vote in that election)

But to say America and by implication all Americans don't give a "flying **** about dead Palestinians" is quite simply not true.

During the protests about Vietnam no University sent police in to arrest it's students. This year many cities sent in a far more militarized police force to beat and arrest students over pro-Palestinian encampments and building occupations. Many grads were "outed" by Fox News and it's ilk and lost job offers directly effecting their futures.

I work at a private University where sadly there are some very rich students who are pro Trump. That kind of student was encouraged by ring wing nuts to go and confront peaceful Palestinian protests and violence erupted on our campus and others. 

I have friends who insisted they wouldn't vote for Biden over his reaction to Israel's invasion of Gaza. So I think it's unfair of you to say that all of the US doesn't give a flying **** about dead Palestinians.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

People love to generalize Americans as all sorts of things on VT and I just ignore it (born in the black country and became a US citizen 2016 primarily so I could vote in that election)

But to say America and by implication all Americans don't give a "flying **** about dead Palestinians" is quite simply not true.

During the protests about Vietnam no University sent police in to arrest it's students. This year many cities sent in a far more militarized police force to beat and arrest students over pro-Palestinian encampments and building occupations. Many grads were "outed" by Fox News and it's ilk and lost job offers directly effecting their futures.

I work at a private University where sadly there are some very rich students who are pro Trump. That kind of student was encouraged by ring wing nuts to go and confront peaceful Palestinian protests and violence erupted on our campus and others. 

I have friends who insisted they wouldn't vote for Biden over his reaction to Israel's invasion of Gaza. So I think it's unfair of you to say that all of the US doesn't give a flying **** about dead Palestinians.

You've misread me. I wrote 'America' as a way of trying to differentiate between the entire nation and the establishment, the system, 'the man'. Obviously there are significant numbers of Americans who do have a conscience and a sense of moral rights and humanity, who do care about Palestinians. The problem, and my point, is 'America', the big picture, the government and the establishment and system and all of that, doesn't. America's interests and a peaceful Palestine do not align, and therefore it does not care about dead Palestinians.

• Like 1

A large part of the GOP doesn't give two hoots about Ukraine either, and to be honest Kamala can garner much support by just doing what's right. Get Israel to stop, help Ukraine survive. Both things the GOP are vehemently against.

Personally I know a whole lot of Americans who are either single issue voters on Gaza or on Ukraine. Kamala needs to study Roosevelt and find her moral compass and she'll be a shiny new alternative to Putin-lover Donald.

6 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Comma-La, like the punctuation mark with La after. 

Apparently she explains this in her autobiography.

10 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Comma-La, like the punctuation mark with La after. 

Is is Co - Lin Powell all over again? Someone should have told him his name was Colin. Just like everyone else on the planet called Colin. 

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

He didnt really have a choice he? He got pressure from every side - behind the scenes decision probably taken out of his hands

Not probably.  Definitely.  Pelosi gave him 3 weeks to go 'the easy way'. When he stepped down he was at the end of his 3 weeks. I'm not exactly sure what mechanism or pressure would be applied to do it the hard way, but probably something as simple as Pelosi coming out publicly and saying he should not run would have been enough to force his hand.

He did the right thing for America but only when his only choices were Hobson's.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Is it Kamala to rhyme with 'Mahler', or Kamala to rhyme with 'Pamela'? 

I used to assume is was Kamala as in Chris 'Kamara'. 

But the others are right, the BBC did an article on it  

Commer- ler (not lar). 

4 hours ago, mjmooney said:

Is it Kamala to rhyme with 'Mahler', or Kamala to rhyme with 'Pamela'? 

While we're at it, how do you pronounce "Drumpf"

• Like 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â