U.S. Politics

maqroll

12 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Put whatever veneer of mirth on it you like, it's ludicrous to attempt to draw parallels

Won't matter to Joe american public though. The damage is done now. The headline is all they'll read, if they even read that. 

Could well be posted in the gun thread too... jeez!

"A failed Republican state legislative candidate, who authorities say was angry over losing an election last November and made baseless claims that the vote was “rigged”, has been arrested in connection with a series of drive-by shootings targeting the homes of Democratic lawmakers in New Mexico’s largest city."

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2023/jan/17/former-republican-candidate-arrested-over-shootings-targeting-democrat-homes

• Shocked 1

Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest crude oil exporter, is open to discussing oil trade settlements in currencies other than the U.S. dollar, Saudi Minister of Finance, Mohammed Al-Jadaan, told Bloomberg TV in an interview in Davos on Tuesday.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Saudi-Arabia-Is-Open-To-Discuss-Non-Dollar-Oil-Trade-Settlements.html

The world is a changing place. This should sharpen minds come debt ceiling time.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, villakram said:

Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest crude oil exporter, is open to discussing oil trade settlements in currencies other than the U.S. dollar, Saudi Minister of Finance, Mohammed Al-Jadaan, told Bloomberg TV in an interview in Davos on Tuesday.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/Saudi-Arabia-Is-Open-To-Discuss-Non-Dollar-Oil-Trade-Settlements.html

The world is a changing place. This should sharpen minds come debt ceiling time.

I wouldn’t worry. The only stable currencies are ones from NATO countries and or our good allies. It’s not like the Saudis will take payment in rubles, yuan or rupees. They’re all extremely volatile.

Political turmoil (see authoritarianism) is not good for a currency, which is why this shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by magnkarl

38 minutes ago, villakram said:

Hayek claimed that it would be better if commodities had their own strictly regulated reserve currency, rather than rely on a particular nation's.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, magnkarl said:

I wouldn’t worry. The only stable currencies are ones from NATO countries and or our good allies. It’s not like the Saudis will take payment in rubles, yuan or rupees. They’re all extremely volatile.

Political turmoil (see authoritarianism) is not good for a currency, which is why this shouldn't be an issue.

There's an awful lot of full fate and credit in your statement that increasing agreements amongst non-NATO nations for trade in non-dollar currencies dis-agree with.

24 minutes ago, villakram said:

There's an awful lot of full fate and credit in your statement that increasing agreements amongst non-NATO nations for trade in non-dollar currencies dis-agree with.

Which language was this written in? Can't seem to get google translate to work!

• Like 2

I watched recently the discovery documentary on the 6th of January 2021 insurrection. I have previously seen many of the images before and knew the main story but it was frankly mental the lack of hard core security was around Capitol Hill on that day.  Some of those police officers literally put their bodies on the line in front of an attempted murderous mob. The most chilling thing for me was once order was finally restored the republicans carried out objecting the electoral result. It is deeply concerning that this sort of attitude has not gone away and we saw a carbon copy in Brazil a few weeks ago.

• Haha 1

Glad to see these dirtbags convicted.  

Three members of the Oath Keepers and a fourth person associated with the far-right militia group were convicted of seditious conspiracy by a Washington, DC, jury on Monday for their role in the January 6, 2021, insurrection.

The four men – Roberto Minuta, Joseph Hackett, David Moerschel and Edward Vallejo – were accused of plotting to stop the certification of Joe Biden’s 2020 electoral college victory, a conspiracy that culminated in the attack on the US Capitol.

Police departments around the country preparing for massive Civil unrest this weekend ahead of the release of the videotaped Memphis police murder of Tyre Nichols. Rumor has it that it is worse than George Floyd. 

I'm not planning on watching it. I never made it beyond a few seconds of the Floyd murder video. 

These police departments are lucky it's the dead of winter this time.

3 hours ago, maqroll said:
On 12/01/2023 at 11:12, Chindie said:

Santos strikes me as someone who is going to be found dead in a hotel room at some point.

He was already. Or so he says.

Every day it’s something new…

5 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Seems like they might be getting ready for some shit to kick off again - a video of 5 cops beating a guy who subsequently died is coming out, and it's allegedly horrendous.

The police officers themselves are also black so that might temper some of the anger perhaps?

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â