U.S. Politics

maqroll

Every time I check in to US politics it leaves very feeling very depressed and sad. I know our climate political climate is also dreadful, but in the US I can see a possible civil war in the future. Or at least hundreds of militia groups causing chaos. The system is ungovernable, Biden is past it and Trump is still lurking in the background ready to go again in 2024.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Every time I check in to US politics it leaves very feeling very depressed and sad. I know our climate political climate is also dreadful, but in the US I can see a possible civil war in the future. Or at least hundreds of militia groups causing chaos. The system is ungovernable, Biden is past it and Trump is still lurking in the background ready to go again in 2024.

Yep, totally feeling the same. If you were running a playbook on how to turn a democracy into an autocracy, it would look a lot like this.  The Republicans are basically fascist now, deliberately undermining their own democracy, and the Democrats are extensions of large corporations with a President who was happy to be a lame duck from day 1.  If Trump gets back in, I can see the need of a number of fairly prominent opposition leaders needing to leave the country (Ilhan Omar, AOC etc). 

44 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I think the main function of the American political system, for the British, is to allow us to maintain the fiction that our own system is somehow better.

• Thanks 1

Trump at his rally yesterday said he was going to pardon those convicted of Jan 6th crimes when he’s re-elected in 2024 but then on Hannity he said they were Antifa.  

So he supports Antifa now if he’s going to pardon them? 😂😂😂

Edited by nick76

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be honest, every Republican president (doesn't have to be Trump) will immediately pardon everyone involved in January 6th as their first act in office, and that's been clear for a while now.

Which is a thoroughly depressing state of affairs. Jesus. 

I could say a lot about Bill Maher, but for some reason I keep watching his show every week and I am beginning to share his complete and total pessimism with regards to the future of US democracy. It really looks f***ing grim. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

America is really looking like the next fallen Empire. 

China will be the next power to run the world. 

American banks and corporations own more than 50% of the global economy - it's democracy that's the fallen empire - America may be the last nation-state empire we see for a while.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

His released statements are just getting more and more like a child’s tantrum.  How he was ever President I’ll never know.

E47F7E09-8F40-4E6A-BF87-8CE802BBD3D5.jpeg

feels appropriate 

8487D2CC-F527-4EE4-83F4-BE20095C8E93.jpeg

Edited by nick76

On 30/01/2022 at 21:30, sidcow said:

America is really looking like the next fallen Empire. 

China will be the next power to run the world. 

That would be Greece. I personally don't think it coincidence that the origins of democracy lost sovereignty over its own water and land, while the so called democracy of today, the USA, leverages more power for the powers that be, and divorces the world as we know it further into turmoil and chaos.

@OutByEaster?

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

The Trump Organisations accountants have just shat on him from a great height. They’ve released a statement saying that they no longer believe that the last ten years worth of accounts can be relied upon which has serious implications for the probe by New York State. It will also affect their ability to borrow money and of course they now need to find new accountants :D

it’s always the tax that brings them down in the end

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

That's because the IRS has long been weaponised by the party in power to attack their political opponents.

Chomsky used to get audited every year.

Yes it has, so if you know that will happen.... do they never learn?

This isn't the IRS

52 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

how's the old empire doing? still holding up by a thread?

Ben Franklin's experiment looks like a venal, dystopian circus, while Canada, Australia and New Zealand, edge towards crackpot authoritarianism, with added pronouns.

England is a beacon of mediocrity but still manages to preserve the privileges of the middle-classes, and the working-class still know their place.

In short: plus ça change plus ça reste pareil

• Haha 1

Â