U.S. Politics

maqroll

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I think I heard earlier that it's about 12 years for the main charge, not sure if the other two verdicts run concurrently or add to it.

For reasons I don’t understand, the UK typically run sentences concurrently, however most of the US sentencing seems to be consecutively, hence the occasional 100+ year sentences one hears about for serial killers. A quick search gave the US’s longest sentence as 20,750 years, presumably in case of reincarnation! It will be interesting to see the sentence given to Chauvin. I suspect anything less than 50 years in the US would be seen as lenient.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Can't he appeal? Wouldn't surprise me at all if it gets overturned

He will appeal, but its dead in the water. His only hope is the judge going easy on him when he is sentenced. 

8 hours ago, Genie said:

I can’t imagine the scenes if it was anything other than 3x guilty

Sadly I imagine there’ll be a number of inmates who will herald what he did.

No doubt he’ll end up under the ‘protection’ of some redneck aryan brotherhood whilst doing his time. 

• Like 1

I was surprised by this

US President Joe Biden has said he is praying for the "right verdict" in the trial of Derek Chauvin, the Minneapolis ex-policeman accused of killing George Floyd last year.

Mr Biden, who spoke to Mr Floyd's family on Monday, implied he felt the evidence was "overwhelming".

Are the jury shielded from such news as it could look a lot like interference/influencing their decision?

The right decision was reached, but if I were the cops legal representative I’d be tempted to argue Biden was influencing  their decision making (in light of very little else to fight his corner with).

7 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Previous page you were betting on not guilty. Your legal psychic powers are questionable. 

For sure 😁

I just know how the US operates, even if I'll admit I know sweet FA about their legal system. After almost 4 decades of watching that shit show I fully expect it to be overturned.

In fact I'd on retrospect argue it was obvious an initial guilty verdict would arrive when the president said the 'evidence is overwhelming'. Which I think is not okay personally, even if I think he's a murderer.

I just fully expect this initial verdict to be given to calm the masses, then a long ass legal process starts and they protect their own ridiculously uneducated police force, and avoid a union lash back, by overturning it when society has moved on from this case.

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

I was surprised by this

Are the jury shielded from such news as it could look a lot like interference/influencing their decision?

The right decision was reached, but if I were the cops legal representative I’d be tempted to argue Biden was influencing  their decision making (in light of very little else to fight his corner with).

Jury was “sequestered” so they couldn’t hear the comments. Still somewhat risky though in this day and age.

It is suspected that he will still appeal though due to the mass publicity and the comments made over the weekend insinuating that the violence would get worse. To be honest though, the defence expert wasn’t compelling and the prosecution evidence of “we don’t kneel on the neck” was pretty damning. Don’t see anything else that would be “appealable” and I think the Judge would have made sure of it knowing the publicity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

We'll see.

This.

For one, the judge explicitly stated that the poorly judged irresponsible comments from congressional representative Waters likely give the defence grounds on appeal, when denying their motion for a mistrial a few days ago.

The fentanyl issue looms large too, especially w.r.t. the murder 2 conviction.

• Like 1

Joe & Chuck in a spot of bother as their money making chums are a little upset at the capital gains tax increases that have been mooted (20% -> 50%).

Let's see how our favorite neo-lib politicos worm their way out of this.

46 minutes ago, villakram said:

oe & Chuck in a spot of bother as their money making chums are a little upset at the capital gains tax increases that have been mooted (20% -> 50%).

Let's see how our favorite neo-lib politicos worm their way out of this.

Dare I suggest that anyone proposing Capital Gains Tax increases is not a Neoliberal

3 hours ago, bickster said:

Dare I suggest that anyone proposing Capital Gains Tax increases is not a Neoliberal

Off topic but what is your photo.  Obviously I can read words but the thing the middle looks like DN.U then obviously sound underneath.  For some reason the DN.U shape is disturbing...kinda freaking me out...I get that’s the point but is there anymore context to it all?

Just now, nick76 said:

Off topic but what is your photo.  Obviously I can read words but the thing the middle looks like DN.U then obviously sound underneath.  For some reason the DN.U shape is disturbing...kinda freaking me out...I get that’s the point but is there anymore context to it all?

Its the record label owned by Adrian Sherwood. On-U Sound. The vehicle for an awful lot of his output (Bar one album he's produced everything on the label). Around the outside it says Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable. Reggae / Dub / Industrial vibes

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bickster said:

Its the record label owned by Adrian Sherwood. On-U Sound. The vehicle for an awful lot of his output (Bar one album he's produced everything on the label). Around the outside it says Comforting the Disturbed, Disturbing the Comfortable. Reggae / Dub / Industrial vibes

Cheers

5 hours ago, bickster said:

The key point. Goldman have already come out and to paraphrase said: ...don't worry about this, he really only means 28% max.

There's no way they are going to try and actually equalize the distribution of profit between wages and investments. The senator's from Delaware and NY will make sure of that.

Edited by villakram

1 minute ago, villakram said:

The key point. 

No it really isn't. The key point is the misuse of the word Neoliberal. Neoliberals wouldn't even be proposing capital gains tax increases

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

No it really isn't. The key point is the misuse of the word Neoliberal. Neoliberals wouldn't even be proposing capital gains tax increases

Actions not words.

None of us would accept a dictators claims to be a democrat through and through, given their dictatorial history of action. 

On 21/04/2021 at 02:04, theboyangel said:

Sadly I imagine there’ll be a number of inmates who will herald what he did.

No doubt he’ll end up under the ‘protection’ of some redneck aryan brotherhood whilst doing his time. 

Nobody likes a cop in prison. They'll keep him segregated from general population. 

• Thanks 1

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â