U.S. Politics

maqroll

I don't dispute that the sudden announcement took people by surprise, but I find it hard to believe anyone is shocked.   It's clearly something he had expressed a desire  to do, regardless of whether he realizes the implications.   And again, if there's anything you shouldn't expect from Trump's White House, it's a measured, thoughtful process of implementing a policy that he has shown a strong and impulsive interest in.   It's certainly possible that Icahn got insider info, but it's also not all that surprising to me that he got rid.   He would have had to know, based on his history with Trump, that his action would be scrutinized if he was really acting on a tip.   I just don't think he would be that stupid to go ahead and do it anyway.  We'll know soon enough, because I'm sure it will be investigated.

3 hours ago, ml1dch said:

Yet you still want to own, and want anybody else to own enough military hardware (based on that reprehensible "look at my new weapon" thread) to take over a small country. 

Forgive me for saying that your "but it's not supposed to be like this" comes across as a little trite.

Take a day off mate! Next you’ll be telling where and what I can post....

2 hours ago, Straggler said:

There is a difference between hedging your bets and dumping all of your stock.  Icahn literally sold the lot.  Also, whilst I don't want to sling mud about being wise after the event I can't help but notice that all of the reporting on this is calling it a surprise announcement or a shock, the market in dropping 500 points is behaving like it is in shock.  The GOP didn't know that this was going to happen now and many of them have come out saying they don't agree with it.  So I'm not saying that Trump has never said anything about trade tariffs and steel.  What I am saying is that the timing smells like a rat that one of Trumps confidants was one of he very few who did see it coming NOW and got out completely.  If it really was easy to see coming how come no one else saw it coming other than Icahn, Villakram and you?

https://www.axios.com/commerce-trade-section-232-tariffs-steel-aluminum-8d4fbe71-1f9b-4918-96af-6437487a69f0.html

"The Department of Commerce will recommend tariffs on steel and aluminum that, if applied, would be the first shots in a global trade war, according to two sources briefed on the report."

This is dated 16th of Feb. It has been discussed incessantly on Bloomberg for the last month. I'm sure the FT and other economics centered publications were talking about this too. I'm not trying to say I am a know it all here, but this has been flagged for those paying attention.

Edited by villakram

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

Gary Cohn, the Presidents Chief Economic Advisor, has reportedly threatened to quit over the decision because he thinks it's such a terrible idea.

But Villakram wont believe that as it was reported in the fake NYTimes.

Thanks very much for the ad hominem. I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

See the link on the above post. It's very very well known that Cohn and Ross, for example, do not see eye to eye on how the global economy should work. Cohn is Mr. Goldman Sachs neo-liberal economics. Ross is anything but a Saint. Can't say I feel a tad of sympathy for either of them.

It is starting to feel like the beginning of the end for Trump. All the top guys around him are either angry with Trump, or under investigation. Reports that Jared Kushner used his position to secure a massive loan as circulating. Ivanka is also reportedly under FBI investigation for a business deal she did in Canada, and this is Trump's FBI appointee investigating her. 

I just hope all this can end before Trump does some serious damage. I can see him attacking North Korea to deflect away from something happening in the US. That would truly isolate the US from the rest of the world. Russia would win.

The New Yorker reports that Steele warned Mueller that Russia lobbied Trump after the election to appoint someone less hawkish on Russia than Romney and more amenable to easing sanctions for Moscow's actions in Ukraine.

The magazine, without citing its own source, said Steele made the allegation during a September 2017 meeting with Mueller in which the former spy presented a memo that relied on information from "a senior Russian official."

In his 2012 presidential run, Romney called Russia "our No. 1 geopolitical foe."

The White House did not immediately respond to CNBC's request for comment on the New Yorker article.

Romney was seen as a top contender to become secretary of State during Trump's transition into the White House, despite his harsh criticism of Trump during the campaign.

Trump eventually nominated Exxon Mobil CEO Rex Tillerson for the role. Tillerson entered the job with long-held ties to Russia. In 2013, Putin bestowed a Russian state honor on Tillerson, mentioning the CEO's work "strengthening cooperation in the energy sector."...

CNBC

If this is true... then the amp just went up past 11

32 minutes ago, maqroll said:

This is another clown idiot like Carter Page that was hanging around Trump/Stone et al. Lord know where they find these yahoos but Nunberg has serious alcohol/mental health/issues. CNN asked him point blank on air if he'd been drinking and he said no. The interviewer then said that he smelt of alcohol. You couldn't make it up.

I think Stone sent him out knowing that he'd look like an idiot. So then using Nunberg to attack Trump just makes the whole debate to descend farce and Stone sits on the sidelines laughing.

"I only hire the best people, the very best." Compared to you and you daughter yes you don Donny.
The political system in this country is in an unbelievable state.

7 hours ago, Brumerican said:

Nunberg going postal on live TV .

This is mental.

He's got serious issues going on. Its not fair that he spend money on a lawyer for and FBI interview and now he has to go before the Grand Jury. WTF!

He needs some help with his mental health

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â