U.S. Politics

maqroll

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

More Anonymous sources from the NYT. This publication has zero credibility. 

The pro trump Fox news guy in the twitter video above also says "OK...we have sources confirming". Sure they have no credibility (either?), but it seems like it's true, and not just from the recent revelations".

Trump has no credibility, that's for sure.

• Like 1

None of the above 3 posts are necessarily wrong; however, the continued use of anonymous sources in such a politically loaded climate is unhealthy, e.g., see the WaPo reporter who has been outed as using the DoJ/FBI lovers as his sources via their text messages, and who then wrote a report defending them when the first text message stories originally broke (quid pro quo?). These two have been revealed by these messages to be as biased as possible. Too many agendas being set by so called reporting these days.

24 minutes ago, villakram said:

None of the above 3 posts are necessarily wrong; however, the continued use of anonymous sources in such a politically loaded climate is unhealthy

Too many agendas being set by so called reporting these days.

I don't agree. There is currently an intensity of scrutiny upon journalists like never before thanks to Trump and his cronies relentless attacks. I see journalist's getting caught out if they haven't crossed every 't' and dotted every 'i' (which is a good thing,) but I also see journalists paying more attention than ever to having the details exactly right before they publish a story.

Wolff's book for example is ridiculed for it's poor journalism from most mainstream news outlets even those on the so-called 'left' such as CNN & NYTimes. Even though Fire and Fury confirms everyones suspicions about the current administration, real journalists won't use Wolff's work as fact because it isn't good journalism.

2 hours ago, TheAuthority said:

I don't agree. There is currently an intensity of scrutiny upon journalists like never before thanks to Trump and his cronies relentless attacks. I see journalist's getting caught out if they haven't crossed every 't' and dotted every 'i' (which is a good thing,) but I also see journalists paying more attention than ever to having the details exactly right before they publish a story.

Wolff's book for example is ridiculed for it's poor journalism from most mainstream news outlets even those on the so-called 'left' such as CNN & NYTimes. Even though Fire and Fury confirms everyones suspicions about the current administration, real journalists won't use Wolff's work as fact because it isn't good journalism.

Yes, CNN spent no time reporting on the book but all of their time ridiculing it, though of course it is CNN, so that's only to be expected from that "News" network.

More generally, do you not feel uncomfortable reading this incessant stream of unattributed stories? It's not an entirely new development, as during the Bush years, this was the way the media worked (and with the WH in the case of the NYT!). It decreased a little during the Obama years, but the media need to do more reporting on news rather than constant editorializing imho. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villakram said:

More generally, do you not feel uncomfortable reading this incessant stream of unattributed stories? It's not an entirely new development...

It's the way I've seen politics reported for the last thirty years plus (i.e. as long as I've been interested in politics).

When did you see it otherwise?

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, villakram said:

Yes, CNN spent no time reporting on the book but all of their time ridiculing it, though of course it is CNN, so that's only to be expected from that "News" network.

More generally, do you not feel uncomfortable reading this incessant stream of unattributed stories? It's not an entirely new development, as during the Bush years, this was the way the media worked (and with the WH in the case of the NYT!). It decreased a little during the Obama years, but the media need to do more reporting on news rather than constant editorializing imho. 

What I'm uncomfortable with is the constant undermining of journalists. It's the only profession enshrined in the constitution because a free press is necessary for this experiment of democracy that is the United States. Which parts of the constitution will Trump and his team begin chipping away at next once they've silenced the journalists?

I'm also uncomfortable with this 'hipster left wing' attitude that all of the established journalist newspaper sources are corrupt and somehow manipulating every narrative. For example I like Glenn Greenwald, I believe he is a good journalist but I don't think he's always correct - as no-one is. 

By saying 'unattributed stories' I imagine you are talking about the stories surrounding the Trump transition team and subsequent administration. Well, honestly I believe these are scary times. He is/was somewhat of an unknown in the political world. He's unknown to the security agencies of the US. When he starting winning primaries and his campaign moved from the realms of an entertaining distraction to 'oh shit, this dingbat has a shot' people starting really taking at look at this guy. Journalists, US law enforcement & security agencies from around the world started looking into this him, his family and his associates - and what did they find?

Here are the people named in stories (so far) originally from un-named sources:

Michael Flynn - Trumps Senior NS advisor - Guilty of lying to the FBI about his connections to Russia. 
Paul Manafort - Trump Campaign Chair and his closest aide Rick Gates - conspiracy against the United States, conspiracy to launder money, being an unregistered agent of a foreign principal, false and misleading FARA statements, false statements, and seven counts of failure to file reports of foreign bank and financial accounts.
George Papadopoulos – Involved in senior Trump team meetings about foreign policy –Guilty of lying to the FBI about his ties to Russia.
Trump Jr – Jeff Sessions – Jared Kushner 
I can’t be bothered to write about them all or even start with the idiot Carter Page, but do you see why some people might, just might be interested in getting to the bottom of this?

All of these wonderful Trump associates were named in the press after tip offs from unnamed sources. I’m glad they were and I’m glad we have a free press that allows, us, the public, to have access to the truth. Because he’s now the most powerful man on the planet he needs to be looked into and with whom he surrounds himself need to be examined.
The press is far from perfect, but it is far more preferable to the alternative path that Trump wants us go down.

On a personal note I have good friends who are journalists. They are people of the upmost integrity as are 99% of their colleagues. (There are of course always some bad eggs.) I’m going to share Marcia’s reel with you here because she wouldn’t mind. She’s such a bad ass. She goes to some of the most dangerous places in the world to get the truth out about the people she meets. Watch this and tell me if you would have the audacity to shout 'Fake News' at her?

http://marciafbiggs.com/reel/

It really p***ses me off when someone like Trump, a selfish, narcissist moron, attacks the integrity of others when he so clearly has none.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, snowychap said:

It's the way I've seen politics reported for the last thirty years plus (i.e. as long as I've been interested in politics).

When did you see it otherwise?

Ditto. I see it as pretty much always this way as a mid 30 something too, and I've never liked it as it's far too open to propagandistic uses.

Insurance is, you're 20 years old, you just graduated from college, and you start paying $15 a month for the rest of your life and by the time you're 70, and you really need it, you're still paying the same amount and that's really insurance.

Trump Thinks Healthcare Costs $12

Presumably from some insurance commercial he saw while watching Fox News.

"Dirty Money" on Netflix has an episode on Trump and it's worth a watch. The whole thing is literally a con job, which isn't a surprise in and of itself given what we already know and are presently learning, but the way the episode methodically presents the evidence makes it all the more alarming.

On 1/27/2018 at 11:26, VILLAMARV said:

It upset my indoctrinated British views - You just cant say that on the news!

But you can read that sort of headline in the Daily Mirror, etc. Your printed tabloid press is pretty foul. But it sounds like you were watching Fox News or an affiliate. The other networks wouldn't have said something like that.

44 minutes ago, maqroll said:

But you can read that sort of headline in the Daily Mirror, etc. Your printed tabloid press is pretty foul. But it sounds like you were watching Fox News or an affiliate. The other networks wouldn't have said something like that.

That's very true. We do have blatantly biased print media, but as yet, no outright TV equivalent. 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

Yeah, the gutter press earns it's nickname alright.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â