U.S. Politics

maqroll

25 minutes ago, villakram said:

So Russia this, Russia that.

You are all aware of the explicit allowance of 100% dark money to fund PACs in the US. Of course, it's only patriots that have used these oligarchic vehicles... jeez!

Mmmm it's rotten to the core for sure so the question is where to hide when it all topples over? 

Or maybe it's just history repeating itself and we all need to flick on All Along the Watchtower. I really love the Dave Matthews version for anyone who hasn't heard it.

Edited by villaglint

14 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I saw this yesterday & I must admit I thought of you VK lol. Do you work for the Russian Government?

Haha... You are aware of the confirmed activities and policies of the UK Government? Which were shared with those members of the 5eyes? There is also an NSA guide on how they do this online also......  but, but, look over there, a pesky Russian!

https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

"Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics: (1) to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets; and (2) to use social sciences and other techniques to manipulate online discourse and activism to generate outcomes it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “false flag operations” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else), fake victim blog posts (pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “negative information” on various forums."

Edited by villakram

1 minute ago, villakram said:

Haha... You are aware of the confirmed activities and policies of the UK Government? Which were shared with those members of the 5eyes? There is also an NSA guide on how they do this online also......  but, but, look over there, a pesky Russian!

https://theintercept.com/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/

"Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics: (1) to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets; and (2) to use social sciences and other techniques to manipulate online discourse and activism to generate outcomes it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “false flag operations” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else), fake victim blog posts (pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “negative information” on various forums."

You still didn't answer the question.......

;-)

• Like 1

Jared Kushner, Trump's son-in-law, to be top adviser

President-elect Donald Trump is to make son-in-law Jared Kushner one of his senior advisers.

The 35-year-old played a key role in the presidential campaign and his new White House job will cover both domestic and foreign policy.

Mr Kushner, who is married to Ivanka Trump, is a property developer with a wide range of business interests.

His appointment will be controversial because of nepotism laws and concerns over potential conflicts.

The news was confirmed by Trump spokeswoman Kellyanne Conway, who described it as the "best news of the day".

Members of Mr Trump's team have argued that a law barring officials from giving government jobs to relatives does not apply to White House positions.

...more on link

Well, we've endured Father & Son, and we almost had Father & Son I & Son II or Husband & Wife, so are you really all that surprised by this? There's also a pretty legendary revolving door w/ the private sector and all the regulatory agencies/cabinet posts. It's baked right in at this stage. 

I think there's a fairly significant difference between family members being voted in to office on (or at least on the pretence of) their own merits by the electorate, and a president gifting government jobs to family members.

I must have missed when B.Clinton appointed Hillary and Bush appointed his son to his cabinet.

EDIT: Beaten to it by Davkaus.

Edited by StefanAVFC

I agree it's different, but it's not *that* different to an ex-president ensuring his wife is parachuted into a safe Senate seat. 

(On which note, to sidetrack, it's worth noting that Hillary has never won a competitive political election). 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think there's a fairly significant difference between family members being voted in to office on (or at least on the pretence of) their own merits by the electorate, and a president gifting government jobs to family members.

Appointing unelected family members to office has precedent in the US.

JFK made his brother Robert the Attorney General from 1961-1964, but RFK wasn't actually elected to public office (Senate) until 1965 after leaving his previous role. 

6 minutes ago, Awol said:

Appointing unelected family members to office has precedent in the US.

JFK made his brother Robert the Attorney General from 1961-1964, but RFK wasn't actually elected to public office (Senate) until 1965 after leaving his previous role. 

That might have slightly contributed to the anti-nepotism statute being passed in 1967.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

That might have slightly contributed to the anti-nepotism statute being passed in 1967.

Indeed, although they managed to get through the Cuban missile crisis together without turning the world to glass so it worked out pretty well - observation, not a defence of nepotism! 

1 hour ago, Awol said:

Indeed, although they managed to get through the Cuban missile crisis together without turning the world to glass so it worked out pretty well - observation, not a defence of nepotism! 

Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself as RFK wanted a full scale invasion of Cuba for what it's worth which would have most likely  lead to full scale nuclear war

in the JFK / The Us gave The soviets exactly what they wanted from the outset  but that's another story for another thread...

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, Awol said:

Nah, he's your mother's brother. 

Bob's your uncle was the expression created when the Prime Minister employed his nephew to a prominent post in the Government.

(I think that's where it came from)

I was not saying you are from a small heath family or anything:-) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Start it

it's probably only me (and maybe you ?) that finds it that interesting so the thread will soon join " who is Blues best player " on page 86 of the forum  .. I guess there is the History thread though  

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â