U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, blandy said:

OK, let me try and persuade you, using your own Trump quote

What's he saying there? Well, what he's saying is this:

It comes across at first read or listen as garbled gibberish, but there's intent and message and little signals in all the stuff he says, sometimes blatant, sometimes concealed. He's a good persuader of people who just hear "triggers" - I am smart, women are smart, Iranian leaders are smart, work hard, self made man, conservative republicans can't help but slate me - like they slate you and lie to you. Iran, behave or else.

I disagree, not with everything but generally. I agree; I think he goes in with an idea of what he wants to say and has triggers to get his supporters riled up (or rather his team do), but then goes off on a tangent halfway through each sentence. He's like Alpha in Up! 

"Speech speech speech speech SQUIRREL"

He has some incredibly clever people around him. I firmly believe KellyAnne alone won him the election. I can't stand her, but she's a brilliant manager and spin-doctor. I mean, only this year she was slagging Trump off for his business practises and once appointed, she did a ridiculously good and efficient job.

Originally, I believed he was smart and knew what he was doing at every step, but as time has gone on, I believe he's a narcissist who can't resist opening his gob. His team take credit for Trump's successes rather than Trump himself.

Textbook narcissist.

Edited by StefanAVFC

An interesting few pages. IMO

I'd agree that "there all at it" with regards to hacking each other but it's difficult to think of another election that has been "influenced" in this way. For sure the bigger powers meddle with the smaller countries/governments they don't like but I'd love to hear as to whether it has happened between two states as big as Russia and US. Maybe it has and no one got caught as AWOL said. 

I guess it is just the brazenness of this that makes it seem so effed up. Western democracy is in such a sorry state at the moment. 

37 minutes ago, villaglint said:

For sure the bigger powers meddle with the smaller countries/governments they don't like but I'd love to hear as to whether it has happened between two states as big as Russia and US. Maybe it has and no one got caught as AWOL said. 

I guess it is just the brazenness of this that makes it seem so effed up. Western democracy is in such a sorry state at the moment. 

I only meant everyone is at the spying business by various means.

Agree with you that it's pretty astonishing for the US to have been the receiver rather than the giver of electoral skullduggery - and also more subtle than the American MO given the absence of dead bodies and smoking bomb craters. 

• Like 1

@blandy lets play the latest installment of 'on-purpose' or 'incoherent rambles'

"Well, I just want them to be sure, because it's a pretty serious charge, and I want them to be sure. And if you look at the weapons of mass destruction, that was a disaster, and they were wrong. And so I want them to be sure. I think it's unfair if they don't know. And I know a lot about hacking. And hacking is a very hard thing to prove. So it could be somebody else. And I also know things that other people don't know, and so they cannot be sure of the situation," Trump responded when asked why he doubts intelligence reports of Russian hacking, according to pool reporter.

56 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

@blandy lets play the latest installment of 'on-purpose' or 'incoherent rambles'

What's wrong with that? The Intelligence was wrong about Saddam's WMD, with horrendous consequences. I want to be absolutely sure they're right about the hackers

He's basically casting doubt on the claims the Russians were behind it.

They were, he knows they were, but that's not the point at issue.

"I know everything"

"I want them to be sure" three times in five sentences.

It's nonsense. We should be holding the POETUS than it just making sense. The syntax is a joke and that's why it's just bullshit rambling.

Edited by StefanAVFC

That kind of repetition is a very common oratory technique.

Trump uses it with absolutely no subtlety though which should dishonourable diminish it's effectiveness, but it seems to tie into his talking like a complete simpleton.

6 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Trump uses it with absolutely no subtlety though which should dishonourable diminish it's effectiveness, but it seems to tie into his talking like a complete simpleton.

It's both. Repetition doesn't need subtlety to be effective (see jingles) and the chaos of the rest of his speech makes your brain reach out for the words that you think will make sense of it, he structures sentences so that you have to find the word, and he often positions that word so that it's the only thing you take away.

• Like 1

Â