U.S. Politics

maqroll

6 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

Not a word on Barack obamas links to the Muslim brotherhood? 

Not sure how much sympathy I can have for Trump voters when a good portion if not a majority of them wholeheartedly believe things like this with zero evidence.

Just now, LondonLax said:

It's always white people who say "Don't overreact, it's not going to be that bad" when stuff like this happens. 

I liked how some white people were like "you're feeding into the aggressive stereotype of black people" in that video of the guy who had to be held back after being told he was an N word that should be picking cotton in the middle of class. Because obviously he should have just sat there and taken that. It's an ugly new world where racism is slowly being normalized again, and any opposition to it is being stealthily crushed.

Against racism and trying to do something about it? Well then you're obviously either a social justice warrior or part of the PC police. BLM? As bad as the KKK (no really, this is actually the pervading opinion on sites like Reddit). A Trump presidency is only going to exacerbate this even if he doesn't actually do anything egregious, purely for the message it sends out.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

#Calexit is trending on Twitter...

One take home from Brexit & Trump's election should be not to over state the significance of virtue signaling on social media. It seems to have very little bearing on how things actually play out in the real world. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Awol said:

One take home from Brexit & Trump's election should be not to over state the significance of virtue signaling on social media. It seems to have very little bearing on how things actually play out in the real world. 

'Virtue signalling'? That's going to church, isn't it?

On your broader point, that people pay way too much attention to social media, of course you're right. 

21 minutes ago, Awol said:

Thanks, Dad.

;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chrisp65 said:

Four possible outcomes off the top of my head:

1 well, that's progress folks, good luck! it's gonna be great...

2 ban driverless trucks

3 allow driverless trucks, ensure taxation of Uber et al means people have decent lives

4 make sure Uber's driverless trucks in the U.S. are made in the U.S. from U.S. components, put together by U.S. citizens

any others?

Apparently there's about 3.5m truck drivers in the US.  The jobs won't disappear overnight, though we've seen over the years that when change comes to a sector, it can happen quicker than people thought.  Since he's apparently going to create 25m new jobs, I expect Trump has plenty of ideas about large scale job creation.  Maybe down the coal mines he's going to reopen, but using picks and shovels instead of machines.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

We saw this post Brexit too.  The thing I took from that in the end is that not everybody who voted for Brexit (or Trump) is racist, xenophobic or misogynistic but all the racists, xenophobes and misogynists voted for Brexit (or indeed, Trump) and the result empowered them.   My wife is the daughter of Indian immigrants, I'm white British, and our kids are mixed race.  The morning after Brexit on the school run they had racist abuse hurled at them from the window of a passing car.  Told in no uncertain terms to "go home" despite being a five minute walk from her front door and half a mile as the crow flies from the hospital she was born in.  People can be arseholes, but like the total failure of the remain campaign here, the Democrats are as much to blame for Trump winning as anybody.  How shit must Hillary have been to lose to a guy who's basically a cross between Alan Sugar and Piers Morgan? 

Such a well balanced post especially considering the story you mentioned.

I'm sorry they had to experience that.

11 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

The morning after Brexit on the school run they had racist abuse hurled at them from the window of a passing car.  Told in no uncertain terms to "go home" despite being a five minute walk from her front door and half a mile as the crow flies from the hospital she was born in.

**** hell, that makes me angry.

rocket polishers.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

...the Democrats are as much to blame for Trump winning as anybody...

What I don't understand is that they seem not to have campaigned much in the "rust belt", including apparently Clinton not even visiting (was it?) Wisconsin.

Michael Moore wrote before the election

Donald J. Trump is going to win in November... I believe Trump is going to focus much of his attention on the four blue states in the rustbelt of the upper Great Lakes – Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin... In 2012, Mitt Romney lost by 64 electoral votes. Add up the electoral votes cast by Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. It’s 64. All Trump needs to do to win is to carry, as he’s expected to do, the swath of traditional red states from Idaho to Georgia (states that’ll never vote for Hillary Clinton), and then he just needs these four rust belt states. He doesn’t need Florida. He doesn’t need Colorado or Virginia. Just Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. And that will put him over the top. This is how it will happen in November.

12 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Very very decent Pie this week. He didn't even wait until Sunday to upload it. 

It's brilliant and it's bang on.  A lot of people would do well to listen to it very carefully.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â