West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

Anelka gets a 5 match ban for his quenelle salute.

Bit lenient.

It's the minimum they can give for a racist gesture.

I think he must have convinced them that he genuinely didn't mean it as a racist gesture, but they can't just let him get away with it so have given him the minimum.

• 2 weeks later...

Not looking good for them is it?

They have 25 points with just 4 home games left. One of those is v Stoke who I believe they last won at home in the 80s or something, another is v Spurs.

So they're going to need an away win or two in the run in from 6 left, two of those are v Arsenal and Man. City so realistically 2 from 4 games.

What could still save them is Palace probably having an even tougher run in and Norwich just being rubbish, think Norwich v West Brom is in two weeks. I think the loser of that game will go down tbh.

I said at the time they have a really poor transfer window.

A mid table team can't replace Lukaku who provided 17 league goals with a semi retired player in Anelka or Anchiebe who doesn't score much either. Suddenly the tight games they were winning 1-0 last season they're drawing or losing.

In the last 6 months they've lost Lukaku, Odemwingie and Long who on average during a season would provide 30 goals. Anelka, Anchiebe and Sessgnon provide 10 goals.

BTW this should be a lesson for us post Benteke and thinking we can replace him with another striker from league 1 or whatever.

That and potting Steve Clarke who I think would've got more points against the bottom half teams e.g beating Fulham at home last week.

They might aswell have keep Downing as caretaker until the end of the season as he picked up 6 points from 5 games so a decent ratio.

Can't say my heart bleeds, I still remember them losing to Norwich and Wigan at the back end of last season when we were still in major trouble. Don't you just love how football has that horrible way of eventually turning? :)

No DVD then? Its clubs like this and fulham that makes you appreciate not having a chairman who panics.

Whilst that is true, it is also true that changing manager has worked for teams too.

No DVD then? Its clubs like this and fulham that makes you appreciate not having a chairman who panics.

Whilst that is true, it is also true that changing manager has worked for teams too.

On this occasion its not so much the getting rid of the manager in a panic but more so replacing him in a panic.

On this occasion its not so much the getting rid of the manager in a panic but more so replacing him in a panic.

Yep, that is true.

Can't say I'm sad to see their demise.. I've seen their fans not care about their own results and just cheer because we were losing. Proper small man syndrome.. The biggest loss for them was Dan Ashworth joining England. I can really see them struggling if they go down. The chairman won't spend, they'll sell Mulumbu, Yacoob and Beharinho. Everyone else is getting on.

Edit- I can see why Clarke was sacked, the results since jan 2013 had been on a decline. The appointment of Mel was strange though.

Edited by mikeyp102

I think most people at the time said sacking Clarke was foolish. What was more foolish was appointing Mel, espcecially after seemingly ruling him out previously

One of the lessons of 'Soccernomics' was that replacing a manager made very little difference to results, and that the vast majority of subsequent performance improvement could be put down to reversion to the mean. In general, managers are less important than we fans usually give them credit for. Sacking Clarke was just generally pointless. 

• Like 2

Mel is quite possibly the most uninspiring manager I have ever seen, just seems like he's given up already.

He seems to have aged 10 years already!

He seemed uninspiring from his first interview. Wonder which wiener he sucked because he was taking Betis down as well and left them hanging, seems like he is doing a double whammy here which is most welcome.

He seemed uninspiring from his first interview. Wonder which wiener he sucked because he was taking Betis down as well and left them hanging, seems like he is doing a double whammy here which is most welcome.

Betis wasn't really his fault. He got them promoted and finished 7th their first year up. Then they sold like half the team.

Edited by Rovers13

Â