West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

No way can you prove Anelka meant it as an anti-Semetic gesture when the salute has two meanings. Unless there is a mind-reader currently in employment by the FA, no action should be taken against him whatsoever.

No way can you prove Anelka meant it as an anti-Semetic gesture when the salute has two meanings. Unless there is a mind-reader currently in employment by the FA, no action should be taken against him whatsoever.

In the same way you can deny that Josip Simunic didn't know what his chant meant

Edited by Jimzk5

In the same way you can't deny that Josip Simunic didn't know what his chant meant

Simunic's chant didn't have an alternate meaning though. In France, the quenelle salute is now a well-known anti-establishment symbol.

If anelka doesnt get a serious ban and I mean alot more then 5 games, then it is truly outrageous.

Ive never seen it before 

Funny how we have heard nothing from the usual suspects like Jason Roberts, oliver holt, the Black society of lawyers guys, etc.

internet%20lynch%20mobs.gif

Also a well-known anti-Semitic symbol in France. The guy who started it is openly anti-Semitic.

True but it has become a salute not exclusively anti-Semetic.

The thing is Anelka directly referenced the name of Dieudonne, who appears to be the French equivalent of a cross between Jim Davidson and Nick Griffin.   He has multiple convictions for anti semitism.  Anelka must at least know how such a gesture would be interpreted.  It would be like lifting his shirt to reveal a swastika and then saying it has a different meaning in Hinduism. 

• Like 1

If anelka doesnt get a serious ban and I mean alot more then 5 games, then it is truly outrageous.

Ive never seen it before

Funny how we have heard nothing from the usual suspects like Jason Roberts, oliver holt, the Black society of lawyers guys, etc.

internet%20lynch%20mobs.gif

Nice bit of editing there to change the context of what i said.

Nice bit of editing there to change the context of what i said.

Sorry... I couldn't resist.

I do believe though, that a lot of people are exercising their internet right to to faux-outrage based on something we know absolutely nothing about. It's from another culture and we have no context.

Lonsdale as a brand is massively popular with right wing sympathisers in Germany because the middle letters are NSDA, but that doesn't mean everyone who wears it is racist.

I agree it doesn't look good from Anelka's point of view, but demanding hefty justice be meted out when you openly admit that it's a gesture you have no knowledge or context of, and that usually outspoken anti-racism campaigners haven't publicly commented on, is a pretty dangerous moral high ground on which to be walking.

Philippe Auclair (a journalist I respect immensely) was incredibly passionate about it on talkshite earlier. He tied it in to a growing anti-semitic feeling in France, and how he finds it infuriating that it isn't taken seriously at all. He also doesn't buy, at all, that Anelka didn't know what it meant.

Nor do I.

Also a well-known anti-Semitic symbol in France. The guy who started it is openly anti-Semitic.

The thing is Anelka directly referenced the name of Dieudonne, who appears to be the French equivalent of a cross between Jim Davidson and Nick Griffin.   He has multiple convictions for anti semitism.  Anelka must at least know how such a gesture would be interpreted.  It would be like lifting his shirt to reveal a swastika and then saying it has a different meaning in Hinduism.

Fair enough. I thought Diuedonne was just anti-Zionist rather then anti-Semite but I may be wrong.

Well Anelka has now said he knew nothing about the anti-Semitic meaning and thought it was just anti establishment. He's also said he will never do it again now he knows it has two meanings.

It's certainly not as well known as the Swastika so that comparison is a bit flawed.

Edited by LondonLax

Here is the President of the United States also doing this salute

BcnGL9ACcAApAyr.jpg

I wonder how long until it's a fifa celebration 

That's a hip-hop pose. Anelka is making a false equivalence. He, or West Brom have yet to formally apologise. Scumbags.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â