West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

Anelka has yet to apologise for the salute and even went as far as posting a picture of Obama 'dusting the shoulder' to imply it was the same thing. Something about footballers and intelligence. Hope he gets a lengthy ban.

I'm not yet sure what the gesture actually means.

Some people say it is a general 'up yours' to the government. Others have said it has links to anti Semitic Nazi salutes.

I think more clarification is required before bans are discussed.

It's been written about at length in the broadsheets.

Yes, i have read a lot about it in the papers today and am still none the wiser. They don't seem to know definitively what it actually means either, it seems to mean different things to different people.

Edited by LondonLax

Here's somebody performing the quenelle at Auschwitz.

ob_7a30a5_1238061-632777280087678-106282

Outside a Holocaust museum in Marseilles.

ob_30fa6b_530534-446657388771651-1706950

The symbol is overtly anti-Semitic. Lots more examples: k00ls.overblog.com/2013/12/pour-ceux-qui-prétendent-que-la-quenelle-n-est-pas-un-geste-antisémite.html

Yeah, the symbol definitely has anti-Semitic connotations and the guy who invented it is a blatant racist.

I find it hard to believe that Anelka wasn't aware of these connotations before he did the gesture.

Well I'd wager not many people on here had ever heard of it or what it might mean before Anelka's 'tribute'. 

I would like to know what Anelka was thinking before stringing him up. Perhaps he just thought it was anti establishment and would now be completely embarrassed to be associated with anti-Semitic groups? 

It's not like it's a well known or historic fascist gesture, though clearly some people are now trying to use it in that way in those photos above. 

The gesture isn't well-known in this country but Anelka clearly knew a lot more about it than the average Brit. I just find it hard to believe that he only saw it as an anti-establishment gesture when it's been widely associated with anti-Semitism and the guy who invented it is an open racist.

The gesture isn't well-known in this country but Anelka clearly knew a lot more about it than the average Brit. I just find it hard to believe that he only saw it as an anti-establishment gesture when it's been widely associated with anti-Semitism and the guy who invented it is an open racist.

Well Nasri did it as well a few months ago and I don't remember any outrage, it seems like it is not so clear cut that it means hating Jewish people. 

Nasri-009.jpg

Well Nasri did it as well a few months ago and I don't remember any outrage, it seems like it is not so clear cut that it means hating Jewish people. 

Nasri-009.jpg

Probably because it wasn't done in the middle of a televised Premier League game.

• Like 1

If anelka doesnt get a serious ban and I mean alot more then 5 games, then it is truly outrageous. Ive never seen it before but the fact their are loads of pictures online of guys doing it outside jewish memorials and places of jewish worship means it is meant to be offensive.

Funny how we have heard nothing from the usual suspects like Jason Roberts, oliver holt, the Black society of lawyers guys, etc. Total double standards.

• Like 2

From the outside looking in, I had never heard of this quenuell(sp?) gesture, having read the reports from the incident involving anelka it links to lots of stories involing the man who invented it, a comedian who has been fined, threatened with imprisonments and a noted racist, facist and anti Semite, to suggest that anyone, let alone Anelka who is a personal friend of the creator of this salute doesnt know what it stands for seems to be a stretch of imagination.

• Like 1

Here's somebody performing the quenelle at Auschwitz.

ob_7a30a5_1238061-632777280087678-106282

Outside a Holocaust museum in Marseilles.

ob_30fa6b_530534-446657388771651-1706950

The symbol is overtly anti-Semitic. Lots more examples: k00ls.overblog.com/2013/12/pour-ceux-qui-prétendent-que-la-quenelle-n-est-pas-un-geste-antisémite.html

The gesture is yes but lets not compare doing it as gesture for a friend (however unbelievably stupid that may be) to doing it at jewish sites like that.

All this whole thing is for me is stupidity unless he genuinely is just an anti semitic.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â