West Bromwich Albion

R.I.C.O.

They're apparently having to take a loan from MSD Holdings - an invemstment firm, just for the every day running costs of the club.

Derby had to go down the same route when they were in trouble.

Looks like they need promotion this season otherwise could be in similar scenario to us in final months of Xia.

They're having to borrow millions and this after they lent their owner millions and he still hasn't paid it back yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Boggies, Dog Heads, small heath and Villa were all Chinese owned at one point. 

Wolves aside, its been a disaster for everyone. 

Wolves aside is running it close now too

Hard to say what wolves are anymore, seemed very much part of the happy to be here brigade a few months back but new manager and new signing we'll see, their momentum and ambition (which we all told them about...) has long gone

23 hours ago, Xela said:

Boggies, Dog Heads, small heath and Villa were all Chinese owned at one point. 

Wolves aside, its been a disaster for everyone. 

True, and football's just a microcosm of everything else, of course. We've been seeing for a couple of years now widespread evidence that you cannot rely on Chinese business partners in many economic sectors, that the Chinese government responds to fundamentally different motivators than other governments. If we note that the Chinese govt has willingly crashed its economy for three years, that its real estate sector is in collapse, that the government can and does interfere with business to the extent of basically outlawing entire sectors (for-profit education) and that China's own football league (in an exact mirror of its real estate sector) is in a state of collapse after a debt-driven boom, we can hardly be surprised that Chinese owners of West Midlands football clubs haven't been a great success. 

• Like 3

Looks like they are in serious trouble BBC

West Bromwich Albion have confirmed they have agreed a £20m loan from US investment group MSD Holdings. 

The money, taken out over four years with the group's UK holding company, will be used to finance the club's "general business operations".

Albion are currently 14th in the Championship, three points outside the play-off places.

This season is their last one covered by parachute payments after relegation from the Premier League in 2020-21.

Because Albion went down the season after winning promotion to the top flight in 2019-20, the payments, worth tens of millions of pounds, are made for two years, rather than three.

The news of the deal comes days after the club assured fans a £4.95m loan to chairman Guochuan Lai will be repaid by the end of the year.

The money, originally due to be repaid in September along with £50,000 interest, was lent to Lai to help another of his companies through the Covid crisis.

With Baggies group director Xu Ke announcing the MSD loan will "only be spent on the purposes of the football club", attention will inevitably shift to how much new head coach Carlos Corberan will have to strengthen his squad next month for their promotion push.

The Spaniard told the media last week he was "happy" with his squad and would "see if we can strengthen" in January.

Oh dear, oh well, what a shame.

Said it before but I just don't understand how anyone could get any enjoyment from supporting them. At least with Blues the chaos might be fun, and you get to win the 'drinking in town' cup. The best WBA have been in my lifetime was probably the early stages of Pulis being there. Even when they've been half decent the football was shite.

I gather that they played some decent stuff 20 years before I was born (I'm 30), but you'd be hard pressed to find a more boring club who have had semi-regular spells in the top flight over the past few decades 

Edited by icouldtelltheworld
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Love ripping the piss out of the Baggies. Wouldn’t want them to get into any kind of financial ruin, nobody needs that and while their fans have questionable taste in football clubs they don’t need or deserve the heartache. 

It’s not good for football when clubs go to the wall. You’d think Villa fans would be well aware of that given how close we sailed to the wind. 

Yeah we are aware. They all loved it when we almost went bankrupt.  Dont think they will be getting much sympathy here. 

1 hour ago, The_Rev said:

All of them? You sure about that? 

I dont know every wba fan on the planet. Whether its all of them or a majority of them it doesn't  change the fact they loved ut when we almost went bust. I have little sympathy for them or blose

• Like 2

17 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Oh dear, oh well, what a shame.

Said it before but I just don't understand how anyone could get any enjoyment from supporting them. At least with Blues the chaos might be fun, and you get to win the 'drinking in town' cup. The best WBA have been in my lifetime was probably the early stages of Pulis being there. Even when they've been half decent the football was shite.

I gather that they played some decent stuff 20 years before I was born (I'm 30), but you'd be hard pressed to find a more boring club who have had semi-regular spells in the top flight over the past few decades 

They came 8th under Steve Clarke. And then sacked him. We haven't got anywhere near that since.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah we are aware. They all loved it when we almost went bankrupt.  Dont think they will be getting much sympathy here. 

You mean a few loudmouths on Twitter. 

Â