General England thread

kurtsimonw

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

I thought you switched off at half time.

I watched a Sky plussed documentary and it finished about 5 mins before the end.

Shame that we qualified. That's put England back another 4 years.

Now if they were to retire the old guard tomorrow and announce a plan beginning now for Russia 2018, that would be so much better........

The 'old guard', what all two of them?

A plan to perform well in WC2018, with the aim of making the last 4.

We are not going to win WC2014, so use it as an experience building platform that runs through EC2016 qualifiers and tournament to prepare a team to really challenge in Russia.

Today I would retire all midfielders and forwards who will be over 25 at the end of the season, and all defenders who will be over 26. I would also retire Hodgson.

To have a successful England team there needs to be a plan that excludes picking players for sentimental reasons, or purely on reputation.

But it will never happen, of course and, given that our 'Golden Generation' has passed, the chances of England ever winning anything are extremely unlikely.

Edited by thetrees

Pleased to see England make the WC finals. Would have been devastating for most of the country if we hadnt.

Still not sold on Woy, but credit where credit is due he finished top of a group undefeated. You can argue there were no good teams in the group but thats why Ukraine were so close. The slightest slip up and we could have been struggling.

Last few performances have been encouraging.

Things which would need addressing is goalkeeper, Hart needs to be on form. We need to decided on a right back, Walker, Smalling, Richards, Johnson all not good enough. Low in options for centre backs. Cahill n Jageilka are OK but all our options are mediocre.

We have a vast selection of midfielders, but its a good problem, its just finding the right balance. The Gerrard Lampard balance has plauged England for years but this time we have pretty much every position up for grabs. apart from maybe Rooney and Gerrard I dont think anybody is guaranteed a starting place.

Saddest part of it all is there is unlikely to be any Villa players going with the Squad to Brazil.

The scumbag has scored.

Caps off a shit game!

I thought you switched off at half time.

I watched a Sky plussed documentary and it finished about 5 mins before the end.

Shame that we qualified. That's put England back another 4 years.

Now if they were to retire the old guard tomorrow and announce a plan beginning now for Russia 2018, that would be so much better........

The 'old guard', what all two of them?

A plan to perform well in WC2018, with the aim of making the last 4.

We are not going to win WC2014, so use it as an experience building platform that runs through EC2016 qualifiers and tournament to prepare a team to really challenge in Russia.

Today I would retire all midfielders and forwards who will be over 25 at the end of the season, and all defenders who will be over 26. I would also retire Hodgson.

To have a successful England team there needs to be a plan that excludes picking players for sentimental reasons, or purely on reputation.

But it will never happen, of course and, given that our 'Golden Generation' has passed, the chances of England ever winning anything are extremely unlikely.

Even though I dont like him, Steven Gerrard created the third most fourth most goalscoring chances in WCQ,behind Ozil,Mouthinho and Misimovic.

Getting completely rid of the "old guard" would be silly. We have seen with Villa how you need a blend of young with old. They need a senior player for each part of the park so most likely take, Ashley Cole, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard. None of those are likeable players but they are the best we have.

Terry already has retired from internationals. Gerard, lampard, cole and probably Carrick will likely follow suit after the wc.

It's likely Barkley, wilshire, Townsend will all be in wc squad gaining experience (and wouldn't be surprised if maybe Morrison). Rooney will the old experienced pro in the squad.

We will need younger centre backs and strikers coming through, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be an abundance of them.

Proud Englishman Terry has retired so, happily, he isn't an option. At the rate Lampard is deteriorating he shouldn't go to Brazil but I can see Woy taking him as a sub. Gerrard, whilst also on the decline, is still an effective player. Baines ahead of Cole from now on. 

I hope Oxlade-Chamberlain is picked and the problem of Welbeck solved. Maybe Berahino as an unlikely choice.

Pleased to see England make the WC finals. Would have been devastating for most of the country if we hadnt.

Still not sold on Woy, but credit where credit is due he finished top of a group undefeated. You can argue there were no good teams in the group but thats why Ukraine were so close. The slightest slip up and we could have been struggling.

Last few performances have been encouraging.

Things which would need addressing is goalkeeper, Hart needs to be on form. We need to decided on a right back, Walker, Smalling, Richards, Johnson all not good enough. Low in options for centre backs. Cahill n Jageilka are OK but all our options are mediocre.

We have a vast selection of midfielders, but its a good problem, its just finding the right balance. The Gerrard Lampard balance has plauged England for years but this time we have pretty much every position up for grabs. apart from maybe Rooney and Gerrard I dont think anybody is guaranteed a starting place.

Saddest part of it all is there is unlikely to be any Villa players going with the Squad to Brazil.

Disagree, Walker and Townsend on the right are going to be such an attacking force. Ok Walker has a few things to learn defensively but he's just about the quickest player around and pace is such an asset to have.

Terry already has retired from internationals. Gerard, lampard, cole and probably Carrick will likely follow suit after the wc.

It's likely Barkley, wilshire, Townsend will all be in wc squad gaining experience (and wouldn't be surprised if maybe Morrison). Rooney will the old experienced pro in the squad.

We will need younger centre backs and strikers coming through, but at the moment there doesn't seem to be an abundance of them.

Baker, Shawcross. Hard ass.

The pattern of playing tactics from England seems to mirror what's happened at Villa. 

Cautious, ageing, dull team, trying to sit back on slim leads, and dropping points as a result... then suddenly deciding to throw the kids in and go for it. 

It's just as fragile as we are, but at least it's better to watch. 

Pleased England have qualified but by no means excited by the current regime.

It will be interesting to see what Woy does now with the squad with the two friendlies in November.

Will he stick with what he's got (and therefore practically alienate the other potential players in the Prem)??? or try out some other players (which will give him options and those players impetus to play well for the remainder of the season)???.

IMO - Woy, will stick to his guns (and insist on picking Cleverly) but I'd personally like him to have a look at other players as surely he knows what the likes of Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard, Cole et al will offer him.

The pattern of playing tactics from England seems to mirror what's happened at Villa. 

Cautious, ageing, dull team, trying to sit back on slim leads, and dropping points as a result... then suddenly deciding to throw the kids in and go for it. 

It's just as fragile as we are, but at least it's better to watch. 

It won't last. There's a reason why England being attacking has gained so much attention.

We are going to the WC? meh

It were better back in my day. Back then you could have a pint with the players in the pub before a game, have a good scrap and watch the game. These days they're all paid too much and they jump on the floor and pretend they're injured when they're not. I don't like it when they go and shag other player's wives or park in disabled parking spaces neither. 

International football isn't what it used to be...

(But I'll watch every minute of every England game at the World Cup next year!)

;)

Edited by PompeyVillan
  • Like 1

Those results would be seen as decent right now

Come on you're on the wind up now, 0-0 at home to Bulgaria when they're on a similar level to Poland and losing 2-1 to Sweden when England didn't actually lose a qualification game in this group.

exclamation-mark-man-user-icon-with-png-and-vector-format-227727.png

Ad Blocker Detected

This site is paid for by ad revenue, please disable your ad blocking software for the site.

Â